PDA

View Full Version : Who listens to music when they ride?

DirtyFilthyCustoms
06-04-2014, 6:40 PM
I just recently started to jam out with a ear bud in only one ear listening to my iPod and I'm enjoying it, but sometimes I feel like I defeating the prepose of enjoying the ride. The sound of the motor, the wind blowing in your ears and the clear mind with endless thoughts..... What are your thoughts?

phoko
06-04-2014, 7:33 PM
Just go ride.... yeah sometimes I got a soundtrack for my journey and other time its just me and the road. guess its just how I feel in the moment

offbeat
06-04-2014, 9:32 PM
I'm a huge music nerd, I have something playing constantly in my house/garage/car but I don't listen to music while riding for a couple reasons. I feel more focused and 'tuned in' without it and the sound of a bike itself just rules.

Coffins
06-05-2014, 12:34 AM
I've made a few jokes about Judas Priest being in the mind's ear when I ride, but it's basically true.

NIGHTTIGER666
06-05-2014, 1:23 AM
Only if I'm doing highway miles.

WingNut
06-05-2014, 1:24 AM
On longer runs I do. You can zone a little bit on the highways. In the cities you have to be alert

McGrizzle
06-05-2014, 3:36 AM
I do. If I come into traffic I turn the volume off that way I can hear any squealing tires behind me.

Philphine
06-05-2014, 7:42 AM
I've done it twice I think over the years. once really long ago, and once a couple weeks back. when we had helmet laws years back i tried it with a helmet, but it was too uncomfortable and isolating riding around the city. then recently I had my ipod at work and left the buds in for the ride home (no helmet). it was after midnight so I felt fairly safe, but overall it feels like more of a distraction than i want riding around and I don't think it would ever be a regular thing.

I'm thinking the smaller buds made now might work better with a helmet though, so I'd probably try it again if i do any serious over the road traveling outside of busy cities.

Ato
06-05-2014, 8:23 AM
Not in a long time, more so out of never having a set of headphones that want to stay in once I pull the helmet over my ears. If the headphones go in, it's usually so I can get directions via google maps.

Clockwork444
06-05-2014, 8:41 AM
something comes into my head every ride but i really dont like the earbud since im deaf in one ear for the most part i feel like i cant hear anything at all and i like to hear the bike

gonzoguilt
06-05-2014, 9:52 AM
The headphones I use have the ear-clips. On long hauls I'll throw some garagepunk podcasts on, I suggest 'em to anyone who likes dirty flower-punk, surf, weirdo creep tunes. Surf really gets me in a good during rides. I make a lot of trips south, and once I gas up to get thru L.A., I'll usually put some SUBHUMANS on slice those lines.

oldpunk
06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
I didn't used to, but I just recently started. Now I never ride without music. I don't find it to be disctracting at all, although I do need to turn the music up pretty loud to hear it well over the exhaust, way louder than I would ever listen to music say at the gym. So now I'm starting to worry about possible long term hearing damage. whatever

I just use the regular standard apple earbuds and they stay in just fine with my 3/4 helmet on.

bparsel
06-05-2014, 12:04 PM
I always have earbuds in. I turn them down a bit in stop and go traffic....but other than that I always have tunes going. They're not a distraction...just kind of a background soundtrack.

Ramzilla
06-05-2014, 4:04 PM
I do on my daily commute to work just because I drive the same 70 miles a day and it gets old quick. On joy rides I don't listen to music at all. My bike is loud a fuck but with my 3/4 Biltwell and the gay ass bubble shield on it is easy to hear my earbuds well.

Wingnut89
06-05-2014, 4:15 PM
I always rock when I ride. I know some people say it defeats the purpose, and for some it may, but I've been a musician since years before I even popped my first stiffy. I can hardly function without music these days...plus, when I feel like riding really hard, it gives you a rhythm.

piecemaker
06-05-2014, 9:18 PM
I almost always do. as loud as it will fucking go. and i keep an audio book on the ipod for when i get tired of music. but when its time to get my lean angle on i cut it off.

EMD
06-06-2014, 6:14 AM
I wear ear plugs that help me stay focused while riding. No matter how cool your exhaust sounds, the wind takes over at speed and I don't want to lose my precious hearing from that thundering drone.

On occasion I will use tight-fitting ear buds. Music of choice lately: Motorhead. ;)

DirtyFilthyCustoms
06-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Rocking out on my daily ride back and forward to work does help big time! Especially on the long stretch of nothing road.

RexCharger
06-06-2014, 3:33 PM
I'm a huge music nerd, I have something playing constantly in my house/garage/car but I don't listen to music while riding for a couple reasons. I feel more focused and 'tuned in' without it and the sound of a bike itself just rules.

+1

Wingnut89
06-06-2014, 7:53 PM
Music of choice lately: Motorhead. ;)

You, sir....you are a winner.

truerobotech
06-07-2014, 9:43 AM
Like most usually on a good distance, but since PMR this year i have worn ear plugs to drown the wind and a set of aftershokz to get my tunes. Gives me what I need to hear and blocks what I dont want too. I have the discontinued first release set giving me volume and power just inside my jacket. They fit fine in my full face. See how they fit when I get my Gringo but I imagine not much of a difference.

Tacitus
06-07-2014, 2:03 PM
I tried it a couple of times with an iPod and some high quality earbuds. It worked very well but I found that I liked the sounds of the road and bike better. Besides I have plenty of tunes looping in my head anyway, except when the little fairy inside my head is telling me to burn things.

FooDog
06-07-2014, 8:13 PM
Took a ride this morning with my iphone and headphones. As I hit the bridge to take me over the bay, Free Bird came on. It really made me happy.

When I do ride with music, for some reason, I can "feel" the music more.

fish433
06-07-2014, 8:20 PM
Pandora on the way to and from work and recently with a full face with blue tooth wish I would have found this years ago

erikmustride
06-08-2014, 6:51 PM
Motorcycles and music are two of the most important things in the world to me. Earbuds let me combine the two. I love it.

nateridesbikes
06-09-2014, 9:27 AM
Motorcycles and music are two of the most important things in. The world to me. Earbuds let me combine the two. I love it.

this

On quick rips around town ill usually leave the earbuds at home but Id say I have tunes on 90% of the time.

erikmustride
06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Exactly. Around town I don't usually listen to music. But, being able to select "random play" to The Ramones entire discography and going out to get lost on a motorcyle is the bees knees.