PDA

View Full Version : Tank Decals

rjwatters38
06-04-2014, 10:46 AM
I had considered getting a decal set for my tank I'm finishing since I couldn't decide if I wanted to try to stripe/letter under clear or not.

However, this is the only source I could find for decals http://www.eharleyparts.com/cart/gas_tank_decals?sort=p.model

and really??! 100-300 for a decal set? these are fucking stickers, right? what makes them so special? What should I tell the local sticker maker to do to make these, because I'm not paying anywhere near that much, and I can not see any possible justification for the prices, other than old stock scarcity, which I will counter with a reproduction, because it's a sticker.

Unless someone knows a reasonable source? thanks guys, looks like I'll prolly be just fucking my tank up with paint, i'm not gonna throw stupid money away.

ChicagoRedux
06-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Holy crap! To hell with printing twenty dollar bills in the basement, I'm going to start printing HD decals.

You can try your local FedEx/Kinkos shop. I know they can print stickers/decals so they might be able to help you out.

rjwatters38
06-04-2014, 11:13 AM
kinkos is weird about making copies of any pictures or logos they don't have the copyright owners explicit permission. But sign makers or those sticker kiosks in the malls could. but they need the correct paper/glue because since it goes under clear coats, i think a normal sticker will bubble or lift/wrinkle under the clear. Im sure thats part of the upcharge, but unless the glue is mermaid cum I dont see how they can justify a $90 upcharge.

Heckler
06-04-2014, 12:19 PM
kinkos is weird about making copies of any pictures or logos they don't have the copyright owners explicit permission. But sign makers or those sticker kiosks in the malls could. but they need the correct paper/glue because since it goes under clear coats, i think a normal sticker will bubble or lift/wrinkle under the clear. Im sure thats part of the upcharge, but unless the glue is mermaid cum I dont see how they can justify a $90 upcharge.

I bought a couple of Harley stickers at a local swap and tried to clear over it. Didn't work at all, they bubble and lifted.

IronManJr
06-04-2014, 12:26 PM
That is ridiculous.

If you have a local vinyl decal shop take the image to them and see if they can re-create it and cut it out of Masking Vinyl. This will give you a decal template that you put on the tank, paint, and remove. Then you clear over it all and it looks WAY better than just slapping a regular sticker on your tank.

I have a small vinyl plotter(cutter) myself, and thats how I do all my decals, makes them look better and allows you to be able to personalize them a bit.

ChicagoRedux
06-04-2014, 1:00 PM
kinkos is weird about making copies of any pictures or logos they don't have the copyright owners explicit permission.....

Good point.

You could buy a few sheets of clear decal paper and print them out yourself (it was a slow day and your post got me thinking)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e2X_HL-4F90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shayski
06-04-2014, 2:21 PM
Did you try e-bay they have a shit load of tank badges/stickers and they can be got at a reasonable price.

Umph
06-04-2014, 2:34 PM
I bought a set of 70's oem hd decals. brought them to a big vinyl shop here in MN. After talking with the rep. he said he would have to put the oem decal on a board sticky side down to get a good clear copy. I was hesitant to waste 1 of the oem decals so I asked how much would it cost after all that. I was quoted 150$ for the first set/run-4 total decals-1975 flh red,white,blue. And 75-100 bucks after that. I eventuality found a repop set on fleabay for under 50$.

So now I have 2 sets I am not using. lol.

Salty
06-04-2014, 3:37 PM
there was a link in the classifieds awhile back that was selling them for less than 100$.... try searching.

HasherDavidson
06-04-2014, 3:51 PM
If you have a local vinyl decal shop take the image to them and see if they can re-create it and cut it out of Masking Vinyl. This will give you a decal template that you put on the tank, paint, and remove. Then you clear over it all and it looks WAY better than just slapping a regular sticker on your tank.

This. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've talked to a couple of local painters that both said the same thing, they'd just use a vinyl printer to print the logo I want (I've got a printout on hand), and then they'd do it that way.

rjwatters38
06-04-2014, 4:06 PM
This. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've talked to a couple of local painters that both said the same thing, they'd just use a vinyl printer to print the logo I want (I've got a printout on hand), and then they'd do it that way.

this is something I'd be willing to go in with you on if you do. let me know.

Natehate
06-04-2014, 4:20 PM
email this guy
rdns@geneseo.net

he has a shit ton of tank and other decals