PDA

View Full Version : Honda Magna Experiences?

DarkStar
04-15-2010, 9:09 AM
I ran across a '98 Magna on Craigslist the other day and its gotten me thinking more about Hondas. I'm wondering if anyone has a Magna and what their experience has been?

The reviews I've read have been relatively mixed...but I'm wondering what other Chop Culter's think...

Creedmore
04-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I had a 97 and didn't have any problems with it. I rejetted the carbs and punched out the stock mufflers. It was a screamer. I can't remember which ones had a problem with cam oiling but it was an easy fix. I have thought about getting another one to chop but I have penty to do right now.

Creedmore

rustrocket84
04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
I remember reading that the water pumps on those things are a pain in the ass. If you're looking for a Honda or advice on them check this site out for DOHC and newer Honda's. http://deuceswild.yuku.com/ I think one of the guys on there is building one.

DarkStar
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Cool. Thanks for the input.

djturnz
04-16-2010, 5:26 AM
I was looking at one once, so I did some research. I think the cam oiling was the big problem. I think the fix was to drill and tap for a fitting on top and down below and run an oil line. I don't recall the specifics.

BasterdChad
04-18-2010, 9:30 AM
I have an 86. They're super fast bikes! The 750 magna will outrun an 1800cc v-twin. The oil problem with the cams was on the 82 - 86 models. It's an easy fix if you do it in time. Unfortunately for me my bike had over 40,000 miles when I got it and the cams are gonna need replaced ($600 for parts). The newer magnas don't have this problem. They're actually a VFR motor.