PDA

View Full Version : RATTLECAN paint job: How many cans did you go through?

Newestontheblock
05-30-2014, 1:53 PM
After 4 days of trying to paint my gas tank (Rattlecan) and getting shitty results. I'm finally happy with the way the paint job turned out today. Switched over from krylon to rustoleum. Took nearly 5 cans, but coverage is good and even. got to wait a few days now before I hit it with the 2k clear.

So that makes me wonder, how many cans have you all gone through when painting a gas tank?

metalheart28
05-31-2014, 9:18 AM
man that's a lot of paint. if you put to much paint on something and it's real thick it will crack. I spray bombed a good size fender a couple days ago and only used maybe a 1/2 a can

RetroRob
05-31-2014, 1:06 PM
usually 3 cans krylon satin black for a rigid frame and front end

rjwatters38
05-31-2014, 2:08 PM
What about the rattlecans from Roth or HOK? I'm lookin to paint a fender and tank and one of the new slimfab horseshoe bags. gonna be black base with green and white sections. one can of each color is what I was hoping would be enough, should I need more? the black is going to be the base, so it will need coverage across all 3, but the others will be used sparingly.

another random question I'll probably have to ask somewhere else; If i were to lay down a base with Roth or HOK then cover it with a mid-coat, could I take normal spray paint (Montana ect) and spray over it before the 2k? or does that paint not work with 2k? I know some paint will bubble up and shit under the clear if you don't take care of it correctly, but I want to try doing some spray paint art over a base, and under a clear, similar to airbrush art but with cans because I don't know how to airbrush.

I never even considered it taking more than one can, I gotta change my whole budget if that's the case.

Also, would you use oneshot for lettering or pinstripping under rattle clear? Do i need to add a hardener or anything to it? I want to letter with oneshot under the clear, but everything I read talks about pinstripping over clear and doesn't get into it. Also, I'm bad at the internet, so I don't search well; Don't hate me if the answer is obvious.

rjwatters38
06-02-2014, 4:02 PM
Found a little video that might help, though he doesn't really get into exactly how much paint he's using. it seems like he has enough for a full tank and left overs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wlE2T7AZUyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clockwork444
06-02-2014, 5:23 PM
i have never done a rattle can paint job, but i have done a few parts on my bike. i had my tins painted by a friend who has a body shop and he used the harley brand materials to do the paint. when i got mini floorboards for my old lady, they were flat black on the bottoms and looked like fuck when they were flipped up. so i paid out my ass for harley's brand of vivid black. i believe the paint was a laquer aerosol spray can so when i went to get clear coat i had to make sure it was the same form of paint. after three light coats of the base and three coats of clear, it looked almost spot on to what the tank and shit was . after (by hand) doing some rough polishing with buffing compound and then wizards wax, it came out looking just like the rest of the tins and cost me about 29$ in materials

swade41
06-02-2014, 7:48 PM
Little off topic but I think I used 2 cans of yellow and 2 of orange on this. I do plan on using rattle can on my bike but just a two tone job.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/swade41/Henry%20J/100_6990.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/swade41/media/Henry%20J/100_6990.jpg.html)

SnakeArms
06-02-2014, 8:36 PM
man that's a lot of paint. if you put to much paint on something and it's real thick it will crack. I spray bombed a good size fender a couple days ago and only used maybe a 1/2 a can

Yeah man, 5 cans for a tank is a lot. But, you can't beat the gusto of Rusto. Follow the instructions, 12" away from the item being painted. Coat that shit lightly using numerous coats. I used their appliance epoxy on my rims and couldn't be happier. Prep work is more than half the job too. Sand that shit and primer before you paint.

kaydee
06-03-2014, 9:18 AM
just finished my Deuce using the Eastwood rat rod 2k rattle can. first can worked great, second can took a shit and only emptied half the paint. call Eastwood, apologies, apologies sending new can. arrives a WEEK later. start to spray and can starts to spit paint, f bombs of massive volume follow, neighbors evacuate cul de sac, still have slight tinnitus. sand respray and works fine second time around. overall grade d, need more content in can, catalyst tube reduces paint amount. kinda spendy but 1 can will do all your tin with 1 light coat. finish is rock hard. wont use again, i'll just set up the gun and buy the pro kit. hope this didn't put anyone to sleep, kinda long.