PDA

View Full Version : Rookie building a seat/fender combo, need input/advice

bobbinlabeat
05-30-2014, 8:40 AM
I'm getting ready to build a seat/fender combo, a dragster set up if you will.

Masa at Luck MC is my inspiration, I've seen a few he's done that I'm going to try and mimic:

http://www.luck-mc.com/84-ShovelCustom.html

I asked him what he uses and he said a hammer. I dug that. So I bought a cheap hammer set to try my luck at this. Here is my idea.

I've got a narrow, 4" wide Firestone repop rear tire. I have a 22 gauge piece of steel that is 2'x2' for the rear fender section and a piece of 16 gauge steel for the seat and seat back. Those two parts are going to be relatively flat, so I'm just going to take my jigsaw and cut those out.

The fender section, I think I'm going to screw down the sections that will ultimately get cut off to keep in place while I bang on it. Was thinking of using a 4x4 piece of lumber as a shape to bang against, probably add a little wood with angles to both sides to give it a trapezoidal shape so it's not just 90 degrees on both side sections. Was gonna bang on that to get the shape, put a piece of oil line or something like that to raise up the fender section off the wheel and then cut my side and top parts out. Then cut out the seat back and seat pan to match the size of the fender.

Anything terribly wrong with this idea? What advice would you give to me? Or is there a much better way to do this? I'm sure this has probably been asked and I searched around for metal fabrication and saw some cool things people have done, but not specifically what I'm trying to do. If there is already a thread please point me in that direction and nuke this one.

Here is a pic of my bike as of right now.

Thanks yall.

JohnnyRainbow
05-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Your bike looks great. And you couldn't pick a better dude for inspiration.

If I wanted to make a fender like that, here's what I would do...

Lay posterboard on the frame and trace out a seat pan including seat back. Once I was happy with the shape, cut it out in metal and bend the seat back angle. For the fender, you can make a buck out of wood or use a sand bag. Get some extra material and just beat it til you get a feel for what you're doing. When you're happy with the fender shape, weld it to the seat back.

bobbinlabeat
05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks man, I appreciate the kudos! This is my first build so good to hear other people are digging it too.

I've already got the poster board shape for the seat, and I was thinking it would be a two piece thing where I weld the seat back to the seat pan at a 90 degree angle. But you think making that one piece and just bending it will be better? I guess that could more comfy, but I was gonna get someone like the Haifley bros to do the seat and just make the curve with the seat cushion. Having not ever ridden one like that though, maybe the curve is a better idea...

Sand bag is a good idea too! Didn't think of that. I'm going to watch some videos on metal hammering and then just take a stab at it.

Thanks for the feedback!