PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Had a good deal on a Buell....think its fallin thru. Need title help

tomahawk1976
05-29-2014, 4:17 PM
I am in Pa. Found a Buell that needs re-assembly and a fuel pump for under a grand. Had a deal struck, now the lady lost the title that was never switched to her name and the guy she bought it from is no longer around. A 1200 cc Buell donor for $700 is too good to pass up, she said she is just gonna list it as a parts bike with a bill of sale. Any way I can get this fucking thing registered and legal so I can chop the shit out of it and turbo it?

SquashThatFly
05-29-2014, 4:42 PM
If its not in her name, and she has no proof that it was sold to her, technically she has no right to sell it.

If it was acquired legally, say through family or and estate, then thats different. There will be proof of ownership in the estate papers or if PA has a family law, you may be able to figure that out. Is the previous owner just not around or is he deceased? There are ways to get a legitimate title but you need to prove the bike is not stolen or being illegitimately sold.

tomahawk1976
05-29-2014, 4:50 PM
he's just not around...sold it because he was moving

Andy
05-29-2014, 7:41 PM
Sounds fishy, as mentioned, she has no proof it was sold to her.

tomahawk1976
05-29-2014, 8:01 PM
I believe her...her son was gonna "fix it up" she got it for him...she's a local business owner- nice enough lady

EyEdHiTiT
05-29-2014, 8:13 PM
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

danoldchevy
05-29-2014, 8:17 PM
I wouldn't touch it, at least not in Ohio. If you do what the guy above m me said make sure your state only requires a registration and not a title

tomahawk1976
05-29-2014, 9:00 PM
I Love You Man....that's what I'm talkin about

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

EyEdHiTiT
05-29-2014, 9:58 PM
I wouldn't touch it, at least not in Ohio. If you do what the guy above m me said make sure your state only requires a registration and not a title

just print this out and bring it with you ... it shows proof of fact that vermont does not issue titles.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VT028-Tax_Title_Application.pdf

farmall
05-29-2014, 11:22 PM
I'd have an airgun party and gut that bike like a fish, then part it for money or keep whatever I thought tasty and sell the rest.

Don't marry what you can pimp. With the profit you are closer to something even better.

The nice thing about parting an unassembled motorcycle is it's less work.

Slay, butcher, unbolt, rape, pillage, violate, ravage, and get paid.

Then do it again.

RetroRob
05-30-2014, 8:31 AM
I live in Pa.

RUN !

EVILBLACKSABRE
05-30-2014, 2:33 PM
How much would it suck to buy a basket case bike, put lots of time, work, and money into it, only to find out that it was still the legal property of someone else. Then the cops impound the bike and hand it over to the legal owner. Of course, it wouldn't suck for the legal owner who gets their bike fixed up for free.

Wingnut89
05-30-2014, 5:04 PM
I live in Pa.

RUN !

This. First bike I ever bought (79 GS 1000), bought from some shady dude, no title. 400 bucks. Contacted the guy a couple days after picking the bike up, about heading down to his place again quick with my mom (a notary) so we could do a notarized bill of sale for what he claimed was a barn find. Never responded to my e-mails, or calls. Bike still sits in pieces. No title. The commonwealth sucks for vehicles.

farmall
05-31-2014, 10:39 AM
The superficial resemblance of a motorcycle-shaped pile of parts to a motorcycle can be confusing.

AssUming the moral intent of the sale was met but it's just a paperwork fuckup, why not offer 600 and blow it apart? Think "money and numbers", because that's what any machine REALLY boils down to.

It would be easy to get your money back and keep any parts you may want. The xlforum has many people who use Buell donors to improve Sportsters. Assuming I had the desire to make use of a similar heap, I'd do what I just did for my Ironhead and grab a cheap stock roller with a title for a few hundred bucks (note to NSA internet monitors, I have title for the engine too plus the original frame neck) or a cheap 883 of which there are many. Buell frame would be sliced up for any useful scrap metal, and if I had any reservations about the cases they'd get used for TIG practice then get tossed.

Scrap perfectly good parts? Feels good and no fucks given. Happens all the time in the auto world with abandoned vehicles not worth doing anything else with.

Bike still sits in pieces. No title. The commonwealth sucks for vehicles.

I'd lurk the gsresource forums and Craigslist for a titled donor roller or frame. Those are excellent motorcycles and are often dirt cheap used. You can also stick that engine in a GS750 or 850 frame, check forums for the year.

Quick check shows this source of titled frames, lists an 850:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mpo/4491486921.html

There are many ways to get shit done. If you are chopping, a neck transplant can go along with that so a shafty donor can "fix" a chain drive backend and the opposite.

Many legit owners are insanely lazy or stupid about title transfers. I do mine either the same day or shortly after for everything and I get a hardcopy printed on the spot.
That just saved my ass with a bike I legitimately own but whose title dropped out of the DMV computer system between the 1980s when I bought it and a month ago.

Nottso
05-31-2014, 11:45 AM
"Many legit owners are insanely lazy or stupid about title transfers. "

A number of years ago I sold a car to a guy I didn't know and who obviously never titled it. 6 months later, the cops called and said "We impounded your car. Come pay us $85 if you want it." I told them I had sold it and had no way to contact the guy. The cop said "As far as the law is concerned, it's your car. You can come pick it up for $85 or we send it to the crusher." So I swung by the dmv, got a replacement title, picked up the car and sold it again. Win.

Since then, I've always submitted "I sold this vehicle" paperwork to the state, though, because I don't need some asshat to buy something from me and then go on a crime spree with it.

Wingnut89
05-31-2014, 12:59 PM
You can also stick that engine in a GS750 or 850 frame, check forums for the year.

Just so happens I'm picking up a '77 750 next weekend...

hillakilla
06-01-2014, 8:41 AM
Is the guy who it's titled to dead? This is 2014. Try to track him down...maybe its as simple as you or the woman asking if he'll apply for replacement.