PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic phone case?

bobbinlabeat
05-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Anyone use one? My sporty has zero gauges so I'm thinking I might stick my phone on my tank when I'm riding solo to make sure I don't blast through a 55 zone at 80 as I tend to do that anyways... Maybe use Waze or some other app to determine MPH.

I seen a couple cases on egay but nothing that floats my boat. Seeing if someone has some mileage on one that doesn't fly off on a bump or at high speed.

TIA

Haze
05-29-2014, 1:10 PM
A buddy of mine had a Harley-branded case for his iphone... it flew off the tank on the freeway... he was pissed. I had one but never used it.

scuzzy
05-29-2014, 1:13 PM
I have one that straps to the bars and holds very well, and it has a built in bottle opener. So its a win win. I'll post a picture when I get home. I got it at sprint for 20 bucks.

bobbinlabeat
05-29-2014, 1:36 PM
built in bottle opener.

:clap for you::clap for you::cheersmate::cheersmate:

guiltyview
05-29-2014, 5:34 PM
I have one that straps to the bars and holds very well, and it has a built in bottle opener. So its a win win. I'll post a picture when I get home. I got it at sprint for 20 bucks.

thats what your teeth are for

Buellbomb
05-29-2014, 5:47 PM
I have a ton of miles on my RAM mount. Taken a lot of pics from it too

krb
05-29-2014, 6:02 PM
I'd be concerned the magnet would interfere with the radio signals.

SquashThatFly
05-29-2014, 6:05 PM
I have the harley brand case. As long as you have it in a good spot, it wont go anywhere. Its plenty strong.

junkyardxl
05-29-2014, 9:25 PM
I need this baaaad. Rode with a friend the other day on my sporty. I knew I was riding fast but he claimed he was tapping out his 120 mph speedo multiple times. I was thinking maybe like 100 or so.

IronheadVic
05-30-2014, 9:01 PM
I have a ton of miles on my RAM mount. Taken a lot of pics from it too

I have been thinking of getting a RAM mount...all pieces would come to about 50 bucks, handlebar mounted phone. could use a speedo app, a map/ directions app, take pictures, plug in ear buds and listen to tunes...

farmall
05-31-2014, 9:59 AM
Buy RAM, it will make you smile. RAM gear is very well made, and you can get parts conveniently (I use Ebay, also a good source for pics) to roll your own combinations. Prices vary greatly so search well before ordering.

I leave one ball mount clamped to my handlebars and can quick-attach either of my X-Grip phone holders in a moment.

I use RAM gear on my bike, in my trucks (Microsoft MapPoint on a 15" screen spanks little GPS setups and I like having a PC where ever I go), and indoors as dropping a vehicle mount to a stand I threw together is an ideal way to hold my X200, phone, and (excellent) Logitech K810 bluetooth keyboard which operates either and beats the shit out of texting with an onscreen keyboard. (External monitor, not shown, is on an Ergotron arm mount.)

The solution for those without waterproof phone cases is the RAM Aqua Box. They fit phones, GPS, whatever.

Get familiar with the mount balls including their studs (they have metric and US threads, lengths vary) and clamps.

For those who care, you could make a very clean handlebar or other mount by tapping a rod to the ball stud size, drilling the bar, then welding it in place. (Usual precautions to avoid stress raisers apply and you'd want stainless bars so you don't have to fuck with chrome.) A custom handlebar maker could add such a threaded sleeve (same as a sleeve nut, but not hex stock) easily, and you could plug it with a stainless button head screw or whatever if an open hole offends you.

I use this long stud part to hang balls on my vehicle mounts, but it would do the job on a custom mount and could be snipped to length easily.

RAM 1" Ball with 2.25" Long 1/4"-20 Treaded Stud (2" Working Length):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAM-1-Ball-with-2-25-Long-1-4-20-Treaded-Stud-2-Working-Length-/160922972511?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item2577c1b15f&vxp=mtr

Chromed clamps etc are available. Some examples:

http://www.gpscentral.ca/ram-mounts/ram-arms.html

Cupmonkey
06-02-2014, 9:53 PM
I just ordered the saddlemen e-pak. Havent got it yet but has decent reviews.

djturnz
06-05-2014, 5:43 AM
A magnet won't do anything to radio signals. It could erase your SD card if it were strong enough I guess. Some phones have a magnet in the phone and when you put them in certain docks or cradles, there is a magnet there that actives a mode. Which would be good if it's CAR MODE, but not if it's ALARM CLOCK MODE. Get a bicycle speedo for $12 at walmart.

doppleganger87
06-29-2014, 6:19 AM
A magnet won't do anything to radio signals. It could erase your SD card if it were strong enough I guess. Some phones have a magnet in the phone and when you put them in certain docks or cradles, there is a magnet there that actives a mode. Which would be good if it's CAR MODE, but not if it's ALARM CLOCK MODE. Get a bicycle speedo for $12 at walmart.

I could never get those damn things to work! They need to be installed during an eclipse or what??

Knuckleduster
06-29-2014, 7:30 AM
I once used sticky backed Velcro, one piece on the tank, one on the back of my phone's soft case. The biggest con to this is you have a yank of Velcro stuck to your tank. But, that shit won't go any fuckin' where!

Ato
06-29-2014, 1:07 PM
I heard an old trick is to count telephone poles to get a rough idea of your speed since they are usually the same distance apart.