PDA

View Full Version : does a k&q seat require a sissy bar?

HasherDavidson
05-27-2014, 4:55 PM
I scored a sweet vintage Corbin-Gentry king & queen seat at a swap meet recently, but I don't have a sissy bar yet. Does a seat with a high back like that require a sissy bar, or are they structurally sound enough as-is? I'm not sure what the seatpan is actually made out of (and the back is covered anyway), it sounds like fiberglass when you tap it, but one of the mounting tabs is welded on.

70schop
05-27-2014, 6:07 PM
I'd run the bar. Most of those old seats had 16 gauge pans and some had plywood backs. They're normally not meant to be self supporting.

BuddhahoodVato
05-27-2014, 6:20 PM
You must be joking.
I scored a sweet vintage Corbin-Gentry king & queen seat at a swap meet recently, but I don't have a sissy bar yet. Does a seat with a high back like that require a sissy bar, or are they structurally sound enough as-is? I'm not sure what the seatpan is actually made out of (and the back is covered anyway), it sounds like fiberglass when you tap it, but one of the mounting tabs is welded on.

HasherDavidson
05-28-2014, 7:19 AM
I'd run the bar. Most of those old seats had 16 gauge pans and some had plywood backs. They're normally not meant to be self supporting.

Thanks. I was planning on it anyway, just wondering if I could get by without one in the interim.

BuddhahoodVato, I'm so not joking I don't even understand why you said that.

JHK
06-04-2014, 6:15 PM
Absolutely. Get one in the classifieds section on here, even if it's not exactly what you want. Plenty floating around this site for cheap. Then you can run your seat and take your sweet time designing/building one or having one made. In the meantime your girlfriend will thank you that she's not roadkill.