PDA

View Full Version : Turbo question

unit650
05-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Ok guys I got a small turbo off a 4cyl. Volvo an was kicking around the idea of putting it on one of my triumph 650's I've done a good bit of research, I think it's doable cause I've seen one on the flat out flatly but it's a pull through instead of blow through I've read u have to have a specific turbo to go pull through I'll be running a mikuni 34 mm with a .020 over bore, on a pazon or Boyer ign. Running pump gas so any thoughts or info would be appreciated thnx.

IronHead73
05-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Not to bust your balls, but with the questions you're asking I don't think you're knowledgeable enough about turbo's to do this.

Which volvo did this come off of? Have you looked at the map and done the math to make sure that it will work? Most turbo volvos were 2.3l and higher....

turbonate
05-25-2014, 11:33 AM
The big factors are the inducer diameter and a/r ratio on the hot side vs cc's and rpm. If you're going to go draw through, you have to have a carbon seal on the turbo or it will suck oil through the shaft seal when you close the throttle and the vacuum is high inside the compressor housing. You might spend some time doing some reading at www.theturboforums.com as that is the greatest concentration of DIY turbo information that I've seen in one place.

IronHead73
05-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Chances are it's a TD04-13 from a 740/760/900 series.

It's a relatively quick spool on 2.3l volvo, but they peak pretty early.

That volvo turbo (if it is a td04) is probably a bit big...

Not like you're getting the revs and exhaust flow of a sportbike out of a 650.

unit650
05-25-2014, 6:53 PM
Don't under estimate an old gear head my friend if u have the knowledge then let's here it that's why I posted the q. And yes it is a tdo4. I just wonder what turbo brew used on the flatty should be close to the same displacement an rpm's

IronHead73
05-25-2014, 7:40 PM
Don't under estimate an old gear head my friend if u have the knowledge then let's here it that's why I posted the q. And yes it is a tdo4. I just wonder what turbo brew used on the flatty should be close to the same displacement an rpm's

It's not a matter of underestimating, it's a matter that turbocharging isn't a simple bolt on procedure... and a vintage bike like this is an especially finicky project for a first turbo.

Honestly, I would research what turbo and exact setup others have used and replicate it down to the nuts and bolts if I were you.

You can call and ask Steve what he used for a turbo.

Your 650 is closer to 39 cubic inches. The 45 is, well, 45ci. That turbo was pulled from a motor that is 2300cc's... or 140ci's.

Your motor isn't a 45, and won't respond the same as a 45.

I've told you what I can tell you based on my experience with turbos.... that turbo is gonna be massive and really tough to spool with that motor.

IronHead73
05-25-2014, 8:17 PM
In case it helps at all, here's some approximations based on what I can wing without knowing more about you. Elevation where you live, what mods your engine has, etc.

Here's two maps. One for a G and one for a T. The red line is where your engine will be. The maps aren't close, as you can see.

If you give me some more info I can probably map them out more specifically for you.

***Note: If you insist on using a car turbo, use a K03 from a german 1.8. (VW or Audi). Guys pull them off to replace them all the time and they sell them off for cheap.

turbonate
05-25-2014, 8:25 PM
I ran a chiwaneese eBay gt15 on my KZ 750, it spooled fast and hauled ass. That might be worth a look for your project. I think it was $185 shipped if my memory serves me, and a blow through carb isn't really that difficult.

IronHead73
05-25-2014, 8:43 PM
GT15 would be a lot closer, that's for sure.

Apparently a S1BG is what the guys who are turbo'ing bonnies are running usually. More $$$ option though.

There were turbo 1.3L cars that came with correctly sized turbo's too...Suzuki Swifts would be a good place to start. ;)

unit650
05-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Cool, guys this is what I was looking for I appreciate all info let's keep this goin we never know where it will end up thnx.

unit650
05-26-2014, 4:28 PM
I ran a chiwaneese eBay gt15 on my KZ 750, it spooled fast and hauled ass. That might be worth a look for your project. I think it was $185 shipped if my memory serves me, and a blow through carb isn't really that difficult.

Hey tubonate was that kz a twin or 4 cyl. An how did u jet I'm sure I'll have to go up a bit on a single carb also did u pressurize the float bowl thnx.

turbonate
05-27-2014, 8:25 AM
4cyl, I ran an adjust a jet zenith off of a sporty that I modified for blowthrough. I put a how to about that on here a few years ago.

turbonate
05-27-2014, 8:27 AM
I have no idea how to post a link, but if you search how to build a blowthrough it comes right up.

unit650
05-27-2014, 2:52 PM
Cool thnx guys with what y'all have posted I've got a good start .

DustyDave
05-27-2014, 4:44 PM
I have no idea how to post a link, but if you search how to build a blowthrough it comes right up.
Any you can put the pictures back op on that thread?
Dusty

turbonate
06-03-2014, 2:21 PM
That was the only place I had them, I go through phones like a bum goes through wine, so I have a hard time keeping pictures. The kit has been scattered too so I can't take any new ones, and even if I could I don't know how to post them from this phone.