PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy primer or rattlecan primer for tank job?

Newestontheblock
05-24-2014, 1:58 AM
I have stripped my gas tank down, it will be ready to paint soon whenever the red kote dries. What I want to know is which products to buy in order to paint the tank. I already have a can of spraymax 2k gloss, perfect for the clear coat. But in terms of primer and other colors, what should I use? I was originally thinking of duplicolor primer + duplicolor perfect match....but now after much reading I don't know.

Here is what I'm thinking

-Bondo (thankfully the tank is good, only area is the gas cap area, very minimal)
-2k spray epoxy primer (probably eastwoods)
-Duplicolor perfect match (whatever color I end up deciding on) + design work
-Then finish with spraymax 2k clear gloss.

Looking for some confirmation, am I going about this the right way?

sixball
05-24-2014, 8:14 AM
I have stripped my gas tank down, it will be ready to paint soon whenever the red kote dries. What I want to know is which products to buy in order to paint the tank. I already have a can of spraymax 2k gloss, perfect for the clear coat. But in terms of primer and other colors, what should I use? I was originally thinking of duplicolor primer + duplicolor perfect match....but now after much reading I don't know.

Here is what I'm thinking

-Bondo (thankfully the tank is good, only area is the gas cap area, very minimal)
-2k spray epoxy primer (probably eastwoods)
-Duplicolor perfect match (whatever color I end up deciding on) + design work
-Then finish with spraymax 2k clear gloss.

Looking for some confirmation, am I going about this the right way?

First off, If your going with 2K primer, and 2K clear, why do you want to sandwich that with 1K in the middle? The Duplicolor or any other 1K rattle cans will never fully cure. Granted, your 2K clear will hold up to fuel spills, but you still have soft paint underneath.

If your going with 2K primer and 2K clear, why not go all the way and shoot some 2K color? Then you will have a solid paint job that will last way longer than the Duplicolor. You can get Spraymax 2K in colors. You can also get it in single stage, which includes the clear. Personally when I shoot single stage, I still hit it with clear, but you don't have to.

Good luck

Sixball

Newestontheblock
05-24-2014, 9:59 AM
Well main reason for duplicolor vs 2k color is cost. The design Idea I have involves 3 or 4 different colors. So spending $22 a bottle vs $7.50 adds up quick.

The second factor is color choice. I haven't found much color options when it comes to 2k sprays. But then again I haven't looked that hard. I just know that color-wise, all my preferred colors are available in duplicolor perfect-match.

sixball
05-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Have you factored in the cost of re-doing the whole job after a few nicks and scratches? You can take your fingernail and make an impression in 1K paint. And when under 2K clear, that impression will create a pocket of some sort and eventually cause that clear to lift in the surrounding spot. You will have to be super careful at all times around that sort of paint job. If it's temporary, go for it, but sometimes it's least expensive to do it "right" the first time at it instead of doing it over in the near future.

Sixball

Newestontheblock
05-24-2014, 12:53 PM
That makes sense. What 2k color paint would you recommend? I've looked at spraymax colors and it seems that they only offer basic black/white/gray? am I missing something?

sixball
05-24-2014, 1:52 PM
Yes, you can get it in any automotive color code, just like the Duplicolor color match stuff

Sixball

OhioFlameThrower
05-24-2014, 9:04 PM
I am not a rattlecan guy, but a spray-gun painter. How is this any different from spraying epoxy primer, basecoat and catalyzed clearcoat just like any solid custom-painting job is done. The color coat is not catalyzed in a typical custom-painting job.

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
ftcustoms (Instagram)

sixball
05-24-2014, 9:16 PM
You don't add hardener to your color?

Sixball

OhioFlameThrower
05-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Never... I spray primarily House of Kolor. Like all Basecoat/Clearcoat ("B/C") systems, the basecoat color is sandwiched between the primer (I spray epoxy) and catalyzed clearcoat. I have sprayed plenty of DuPont ChromaBase and PPG systems and they work the same as HOK. There is no hardener/catalyst used with the colors.

ftcustoms (Instagram)

sixball
05-25-2014, 9:12 AM
Painting out of a gun and painting out of a spray can are two different animals. Rattelcan paint is soft. Perfect example: Rattelcan paint under 2K clear on a frame. Where the zip ties were to hold brake lines and wires to the frame the zip tie left impressions in the paint. Why? because the soft rattelcan paint. This would not happen out of a gun.

Sixball

metalheart28
05-25-2014, 10:15 AM
a lot of rattlecan paint takes days to fully cure. if it's soft under the clear it's not cured and with clear over top it never will.

sixball
05-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Rattelcan paint never fully cures no matter how many days. Paint a piece of metal with ratelcan and go back a year later and lightly hit it with a ratchet and watch the paint fall off. Now do the same with a 2K paint system. Just paint and air (and a small amount of paint at that) in the rattelcan. That's why you can pick up Duplicolor for 7 bucks a can. Just putting options out there that are more durable if your wanting to use a can. Nothing wrong with using Duplicolor or other rattelcans, it's just not going to be as durable as a 2K can.

Sixball

OhioFlameThrower
05-27-2014, 1:21 PM
I gotta disagree that "rattlecan paint never dries because you hit it with a ratchet and the paint falls off". That is exactly how basecoat paint acts... the color in a basecoat/clearcoat or a lacquer system is NEVER designed to not be top-coated with clearcoat. It is not that it is not "dry"... it is simply "fragile". But it makes exactly zero difference that it is "fragile" because it is NEVER designed to be used without a topcoat clear. 2K paints are not used for custom work... nor for any quality paintwork... only the primers and the clearcoats are catalyzed and the beautiful colors are simply sandwiched between.

I wouldn't paint my mailbox with a 2K color... what's the point so long as it is clearcoated with catalyzed clearcoat.

Am I simply missing something here........?

ftcustoms (Instagram)