PDA

View Full Version : Richmond, VA fund raiser rally for children with cancer?

bobbinlabeat
05-22-2014, 3:02 PM
Hey y'all,

So I've never done what I'm getting ready to try and do and would appreciate any advice, help, ideas, etc.

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and I am going to attempt to do a fund raiser for a local charity here in VA, Connor's Heroes. My idea is to do a rally at one of the fairgrounds, with BBQ from different BBQ vendors(cuz I love BBQ) and perhaps some bands if I can find them, raffles, door prizes, etc and get sponsorship from local bike shops. I don't know if I'm going to make it a chopper only event, cuz honestly I don't think I'd be able to raise enough money if I secluded all the other bikers out there, but maybe if I got enough interest and pledges to do it I may do that. Probably will just make it an open biker rally with prizes for things like best chopper, best japanese, best american, best in show, etc. I'm thinking around $20 a head gets you in the door and all proceeds go to charity. Hoping to get a kickstarter or gofundme type of thing going and get people to contribute from all over, but we'll see.

I guess what I'm looking for is feedback from the forum from people who would go, who would be willing to help before and on the day of the event, and any ideas anyone may have if they've ever done something like this.

Am I off my rocker? I just want to do something for someone else, specifically kids with cancer because honestly what a shitty wrap they got, right?

Let's get a conversation going and let me know what you guys think. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Joe

bobbinlabeat
05-28-2014, 2:24 PM
OK so I'm going forward with this, I'll just keep adding info and hope some people chime in.

I'm going to do a custom bike show. So all customs will be welcomed to show off. I'd like to get some known builders involved. I know in Richmond we have Atom Bomb Customs and Classified Moto for example. I'd like to include anyone willing to travel to show off their inventory. Anyone interested? How far would some of you travel for this? I'd like to get people as far north as Baltimore and maybe as far south as Raleigh area?

How much would you guys pay to get in the door, knowing all proceeds go to the charity? $20 too steep? I'm planning on having a raffle and some prizes for some people who enter their bikes in the show. I've only been to a couple of bikes shows so if anyone has any advice on how a proper contest is held I'm all ears. I'm pretty much going to get a couple of biker friends to help with the judging, maybe have a ballot box attendees can write in their votes?

Cool thing is, I can have alcohol at this event, that's a bonus right?

Gonna try and have some food trucks or people to cater it or something. BBQ???

What about bands, anyone wanna hear music? What band, if so?

Thinking about a kids bouncy house or something to make it a little kid friendly.

Mark your calendars, I'm shooting for September 9th. Anyone who wants to help, let me know.

Thanks.

Joe

bloodmountain
05-29-2014, 6:35 AM
Sounds like a plan.

bobbinlabeat
05-29-2014, 7:28 AM
Thinking about locating the event at Devils Backbone Brewpub out in the mountains. There are some sweet ass roads out that way in the hills. It's a 2 hour ride from Richmond if you don't take I64. Maybe we can get a crew to ride out on the day of the event.