PDA

View Full Version : long plugs in my shovel

worryman
05-21-2014, 6:22 PM
The plugs in the shovel I got are longer than the ones Harley calls for. Does this mean my motor has had significant work? It's too much of a difference to seem normal to me. Here they are side by side.48339

gonepostal
05-21-2014, 7:23 PM
just buy the ones you need. they made two different length reach heads. not sure of the year. I have autolite 4265 plugs in mine (long reach)

worryman
05-21-2014, 7:41 PM
ok, gap them same amount as shorter plugs?

sixball
05-21-2014, 8:44 PM
So the long ones were in the motor you have? And it was running? Are you just going by the year of your bike for plug recommendations? These bikes are getting old and have passes thru many hands. Perhaps your heads have been changed.

Sixball

Sky
05-22-2014, 6:03 AM
Check the thread depth in your heads. It is possible to have two diff heads as well.
And yes, gap them the same.
What ignition/coils/wires are you running? This makes a difference in what gap to set .

worryman
05-22-2014, 1:57 PM
got it figured out. guy at the parts counter gave me the wrong ones, I think they were for an older shovel. threw me off, still learning the bike. mine's a 76, points. got the right ones in with a new coil. runs great.

farmall
05-22-2014, 4:03 PM
You can use Blue Streak and other auto store Chevrolet points instead of the usual aftermarket ChiCom junk and they are cheap enough to keep a spare set handy.

DR90X Condenser.

DR2240X Points.

Those are Standard Motor Products "Blue Streak" part numbers. Google for many pics.

Points can look quite different yet have the parts that matter match up properly, i.e. the pivot stud and mounting screw.

worryman
05-22-2014, 7:54 PM
You can use Blue Streak and other auto store Chevrolet points instead of the usual aftermarket ChiCom junk and they are cheap enough to keep a spare set handy.

DR90X Condenser.

DR2240X Points.

Those are Standard Motor Products "Blue Streak" part numbers. Google for many pics.

Points can look quite different yet have the parts that matter match up properly, i.e. the pivot stud and mounting screw.

picked up some blue streak points today to have just in case. thanks yall