PDA

View Full Version : 73 Shovelhead main shaft seal

Bringtheruckus
05-20-2014, 9:07 AM
Is there a trick to getting out the main shaft seal (ratchet top trans) with out pulling the main shaft out first? Going through the manual is a full tear down, thats not what I am after, I hope. Not sure if I am just being an idiot or not but any help would be appreciated.

Revelator
05-20-2014, 11:27 AM
I use a mondo sized screwdriver slid into the lip of the seal & then lower the
screwdriver to the side, until it rests on the case,
then whack it with a hammer, seal usually pops right out on one side, then
simply pry it out.

make sure you 1st remove the spacer that the seal rides on, before removing the seal.

Bringtheruckus
05-20-2014, 11:49 AM
make sure you 1st remove the spacer that the seal rides on, before removing the seal.

This confuses me, the gear spacer lip is pressed behind the seal. That is the thing I am trying to get out to machine a groove in for a viton o-ring (http://www.celticthunder.net/TransSeal.pdf) but the seal is holding me up. Trans is still in the bike, all together (minus the clutch shit), and I've just been working on the shaft side. Trying to avoid tearing it apart because it all just was haha

LDNCLR
05-20-2014, 3:13 PM
be sure the 4th gear bushing is still in spec, or a million viton o rings wont help....

Bringtheruckus
05-20-2014, 4:03 PM
I just had a shop go through everything in the trans with new bushings and gaskets. I was told the gears and the main shaft were still good while they were in there but I don't know that for a fact, just what I'm told. Still leaks tho so my next plan was o-ring and a duo-seal nut.

GeeRock
05-20-2014, 4:13 PM
Screw a couple screws into the seal right tthrough the metal just outside the lip then use a pry bar or hammer to pry it out.
Works good.

Bringtheruckus
05-20-2014, 4:30 PM
Damn, I tried running some screws into that metal but had no luck...maybe I was just bein puss.

GeeRock
05-20-2014, 4:59 PM
Fairly big wood screws tap them in with a hammer to get a hole started and then once they're in a few turns either a slid hammer or just pry them. It's a bit tricky but you'll get it.

Changoleon
05-20-2014, 6:05 PM
Fairly big wood screws tap them in with a hammer to get a hole started and then once they're in a few turns either a slid hammer or just pry them. It's a bit tricky but you'll get it.

This works the best. If you don't have slide hammer, you can use some visegrips and a lil bit of huevos !!

Davestune
05-20-2014, 7:17 PM
whats wrong with a seal remover (O)(o)
fuck the Viton crap use yamabond and put the spacer back on.
if your shit leaks its bearing time