PDA

View Full Version : soda blasting a complete engine? good idea or bad?

cwest
05-17-2014, 12:23 PM
im building a xs650 and was curious if anyone has any feedback on soda blasting a complete motor. was going to close up all the holes on it and such so it dosent get inside. maybe walnut shells??? any input fellers?

RetroRob
05-17-2014, 7:16 PM
Prob bad

ryamatt
05-17-2014, 8:43 PM
I used soda on my xs and it turned out great. I traced the shape of the exhaust and carb gaskets onto some thin plywood and then covered up the holes with the stock screws. Just rinse with warm water and you're done. Even if some got inside, any gas or oil would dissolve it without any adverse effects. Glass beads or another solid abrasive would be another story. Soda works great. I went to a farm supply store and got a giant bag for twenty bucks that did the entire engine and then some. The livestock grade soda is slightly more coarse and lasts longer.

IronHead73
05-17-2014, 8:52 PM
Can be done if you're very careful.

Soda isn't a "grit" and doesn't leave a non-soluble residue.

You can use it, rinse the motor off, then run the bike for a bit, change the oil and be good to go.

Just be smart. Seal off, don't blast into a port or anything, etc.

metalheart28
05-18-2014, 8:31 AM
I've wondered about doin it also. my XS motor is pretty dirty and oxidized. takes a lot away from a build when your motor is all crusty!

spidr
05-18-2014, 8:45 AM
Soda is my plan, got a friend that opened a blasting place and he primarily works with soda. If you where careful enough, I know people that have sandblasted complete engines, they took the time to make steel covers for all the ports and spend hours masking though.

cwest
05-18-2014, 7:52 PM
ya I was going to whip up some good covers for exhaust holes and such cheapo insurance.

NeoDutch
05-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Works great. Tape off the intake and exhaust and have at it. Hose it down to clean up. I had the clear powder stripped off some late trump parts. Finish was really nice, and quite fine. Not a lot of work to polish up.

cwest
05-19-2014, 12:25 PM
sweet deal! thanks guys! I appreciate the info.