PDA

View Full Version : High speed wobbles

Drewkz750
05-12-2014, 6:12 AM
So this is a new thing I have never had this happen before on a sportster. Last night I started passing some dick driving slow on a open country road and went to pass him once I hit about 60 the bike started getting loose and it was pretty bad. What causes high speed wobbles and I have had the bike at 100 before and it hasnt happened. Side note I just put bags on it and im leaning to that as the problem. Anyone have this issue before?

DaNgER556
05-12-2014, 9:30 AM
Has this happened before the bags? Did you check everything was tight before it went back together? Have you tried different air pressures in the bags? What is better or worse?

Youre getting an oscillation. Its common on vehicles when the pitman arm wears out or any kind of track bar. even tie rod ends.

Try and make different adjustments in pressure, and try and replicate it to figure out when it does it, next time it happens, ACCELERATE....it will take weight off the front end and should stop it immediately. Also try TIGHTENING your grip on the bars.

Have you checked the bushings in your risers? Is everything tight?

nofendertom
05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Drewkz750 high speed wobbles---sometimes if you have the bags packed too heavy-all that weight back there can cause a
wobble - I had it happen to me on an old shovel.

Drewkz750
05-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Has this happened before the bags? Did you check everything was tight before it went back together? Have you tried different air pressures in the bags? What is better or worse?

Youre getting an oscillation. Its common on vehicles when the pitman arm wears out or any kind of track bar. even tie rod ends.

Try and make different adjustments in pressure, and try and replicate it to figure out when it does it, next time it happens, ACCELERATE....it will take weight off the front end and should stop it immediately. Also try TIGHTENING your grip on the bars.

Have you checked the bushings in your risers? Is everything tight?

Think you took bags as air bags, I meant saddle bags and the wobble has never happend without them. It could be having too much weight on one side i have a few tools and what not on one side and had a hat on the other haha

Clockwork444
05-12-2014, 1:18 PM
make sure you havent lost a weight on the front wheel, and make sure (if you have spokes) the spokes havent gotten loose. also look for cupping in the front tire, and make sure that the stem is tight to spec

hillakilla
05-12-2014, 3:33 PM
mine does this around 59-63 mph if i take my hands off the bars. don't even notice it with the hands on.

Drewkz750
05-13-2014, 6:06 AM
make sure you havent lost a weight on the front wheel, and make sure (if you have spokes) the spokes havent gotten loose. also look for cupping in the front tire, and make sure that the stem is tight to spec

didnt think about the weights on the wheels and no worries on the spokes got them mags only way to go...

Clockwork444
05-13-2014, 10:31 PM
yea look closely at the wheels for the weights if they are sticky weights you might have that. also cupping but you'd see that really easily. the last thing is the stem to make sure the trees are tight enough but i dont know exactly what the spec is on that.

Drewkz750
05-14-2014, 7:34 AM
yea look closely at the wheels for the weights if they are sticky weights you might have that. also cupping but you'd see that really easily. the last thing is the stem to make sure the trees are tight enough but i dont know exactly what the spec is on that.

Well I figured out what it was, My rear axle nut lost the cotter pin causing my rear axle nut to loosen, and last night I lost the nut and threw the chain off the spockets. No huge problems that I can tell right now and already have most of the work done after getting it in/outta my buddies truck with no ramp. Just need to replace that axle nut does anyone know the thread pattern and size of a sportster axle???