PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan question

WarHorse
05-08-2014, 5:27 PM
Vulcan chop fellows, I need a little help.

So, I've installed a 5 inch trailer fender, and a huge sissy bar. This bike has struts, I haven't done a complete hardtail.

If you're familiar with what the vulcan soft tail section looks like, maybe this will make sense to you.

In order to install the fender, I welded a 1/4" X 1 1/2" piece of flat stock to the lower beam on the soft tail, and drilled mounting holes in that flat stock, and the fender, and bolted them up.

When installing the sissy bar, I welded in a fender strut on the sissy bar to support that end of the fender, and bolted it to the strut.

I've got plenty of clearance between fender and tire until I sit on it. I'm running a rigid seat, and the fender flexes under pressure enough to scrub.

Any of you other vulcan guys have a remedy for this problem? Thanks

XFatTonyX
05-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Year and engine size would help. Right now I have no idea what frame you're talking about

WarHorse
05-12-2014, 1:44 PM
Sorry about that. Thought I put it in original post. It's a 95 Vulcan 800A

billyolds
05-12-2014, 3:50 PM
pictures would help.

you strutted a softail and you sit on a fender thats attached to your rear swing?

XFatTonyX
05-12-2014, 5:37 PM
Why are you sitting on the fender? That's a ways back haha. Like said above, pictures are needed of your application

Coffins
05-13-2014, 3:13 PM
I have a Vulcan and I'm willing to do some poking around it, but pictures are needed. As it stands, I'm pretty confused too as to how you're sitting on the fender.

billyolds
05-13-2014, 3:14 PM
he rides bitch....thats the only way i can explain it

WarHorse
05-13-2014, 3:24 PM
Hahaha. I'm not riding on the fender. My fiberglass seat pan was flexing against the fender when I sat on the bike, causing the fender to rub the tire. I got it figured out. I cut a piece of tubing, and welded it to the fender, then to a higher cross member to brace it better. No more scrubbing. I realize now how retarded my description of the situation reads. Sorry about that fellows.

WarHorse
05-13-2014, 3:25 PM
Although, this is a fairly small bike. Riding on the rear fender would probably be pretty comfortable.

billyolds
05-13-2014, 3:27 PM
apologies would be easily excepted over a beer but since we're here ill accept a PICTURE...seriously how do you have fiberglass flexing your fender???

WarHorse
05-13-2014, 3:28 PM
I poured the seat pan myself, and really didn't make it thick enough. It flexes a good bit. I'll definitely be making another.

WarHorse
05-13-2014, 3:30 PM
I reckon I need to start a build thread with pictures soon, since I went from simply having a desire to build a sissy bar, to building a sissy bar, relocating battery, trailer fender, and a narrow alien tank should arrive tomorrow, followed by a set of window bars.

billyolds
05-13-2014, 5:11 PM
im more concerned with the fender...how is it flexing? flex is not good and be thankful your on a jap bike, vibrations from a harley would prob kill what ever it is that you built. Be careful man, as a welder its scary to see what some think is safe

WarHorse
05-13-2014, 7:01 PM
Well, before I welded in the tubing, the fender was only attached down low in the front, and then all the way on the other end over the tire at the sissy bar. It hugs the tire very, very closely to begin with, and the slightest bit of flex put it against the tire. There wasn't a ton of flex. Just enough, I guess. My dad-in-law is a welder and a motorcycle guy, and he's kinda watching over and inspecting everything I do. He made me grind and re-weld most of my early welds. I'll post pictures soon. I'll start a build thread.