PDA

View Full Version : need a few ?? answered. regarding tank vent & engine pulling

rogue14u
05-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I have a 2010 Sportster 1200. I am changing it to carb. I am using to original tank, the fuel pump is removed and the hole will be covered. My question is, There is a tube that runs through the tank from the top/cap to the bottom of the tank exiting out the bottom. What is it? Should I plug it or is it needed?
I am close to breaking it down for painting. I need to remove the engine. I will be alone and using a hoist to pull it. How & what do you tie off straps to in order to hoist it out? appreciate all advice.

IronheadVic
05-05-2014, 3:18 PM
The tube is the vent that is venting the gas tank to atmosphere. It vents the air space above the gas so that the fuel can flow and not draw a suction on the air space in the tank which would cause fuel flow to stop.

You can keep it and run the gas cap you have.

You can cut it out, cut it off, weld it shut, whatever, and run a vented cap. I did this to a tank and ran a vented cap, but the vented cap didn't work very well. Your experience might be different.

As far as pulling the engine. I did it by myself also. An Ironhead weighs like 209 lbs. I assume an Evo is similar. I put a spare car tire on the ground on the primary side of the bike. I then threw a bunch of blankets on it. I then sat the bike over on it's side. I then removed the all of the bolts for the engine mounting. I then removed the frame up off the engine. I put it back on the same way after painting.

Good luck!

rogue14u
05-06-2014, 8:39 AM
Thanks for the info Iron head