PDA

View Full Version : Cam Cover WTF?

SportyChops
04-30-2014, 8:16 PM
Ok I give up, I cannot get my cam cover back on my evo sporty! What am I missing, I've never had on one not go back on I've tried a rubber mallet, screwing it on in different patterns, what the hell! Can sombody offer some ideas? Thanks in advance

JohnnyWolf
04-30-2014, 8:54 PM
I had the same problem after I chopped mine several years ago. There is psi on the push rods loading the cams so they don't line up with the holes in the cover.

Many are going to tell you to take the top covers off, loosen the valves, blah blah blah.

Took me a half day to figure this out....after doing like you are and beating it senseless with a rubber mallet. I took out my spark plugs, and ever so SLIGHTLY clicked the starter once and it still wouldn't go back on. Second SLIGHT click and the cam cover fell into place.

This rotated the cams, changed the valve position thus relieving the psi on the push rods.

SportyChops
04-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Awesome, thanks Johnny, it little tricks like this that make a difference, I've never had one fight me line this!

Clockwork444
04-30-2014, 11:31 PM
another way is to get the back off the ground put it in gear and turn the back wheel a few times withe the plugs out. personally i have never messed with cams on one of these but a buddy was doing his and i happened to be there and this happened to him. he turned the engine over a little (it was a kicker) and it slid on with ease.