PDA

View Full Version : 99' Sportster starter issues

shockwave
04-29-2014, 3:15 AM
Hey guys, I just got done buttoning up my latest project which was mainly trying to turn my 99' sporty into as much of a bitchin lane splittin cafe inspired bobber as I could, whilst staying within Hawaii's ridiculously strict motorcycle regs. After all was said and done I tried to fire her up. In accessory, everything is cherry, switch over to Ignition and hit that start button and nothing. The solenoid doesn't click, the starter motor doesn't even try to turn. The battery is brand new and is holding a charge just fine, all fuses have been replaced. I have verified against my manual that everything is wired right, and have troubleshot it down to the solenoid itself. How often does this happen or am I being misled by a possible other issue that I have created.

I only bring up the latter because I swapped from a stock ign module to a Dynatek 2ki, removed my VOES and as I don't have a tach, I terminated it and the VOES line somewhere in my run. I currently have pink and white going to my coil with the white teeing into my black/white from the start/stop switch coming from the pod. (should this be ran to the coil or would teeing it work to supply the necessary voltage? or did I completely fuck myself?) . I am honesty questioning everything I did on that install and was wondering if that would cause my starter from jumping off. Any ideas?

My next step would be to replace the starter relay as those are relatively cheap and easy to get to. I don't want to aimlessly take apart my starter chasing ghosts if I don't have to.

Thanks

residentdud
04-29-2014, 5:51 AM
Have you deleted the bank angle sensor? If not make sure its upright! If it IS right side up, then give it a tap.

Blackbetty
04-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Also make sure your grounds are solid. I had a bit of powdercoat under my ground strap preventing a solid ground and it caused all sorts of weird issues.

shockwave
04-29-2014, 4:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am only home for lunch, so I didn't have much time to go over the bike. I tried tapping the bank angle sensor with no change. Unplugged the sensor, no change. Is there any way to jump the connector to rule out the sensor being bad? I will check all of my grounds when I get off work. I wouldn't mind deleting the bank angle sensor entirely as i feel it serves no purpose. Is there anything special i have to do to bypass its safety features or will clipping it suffice?

residentdud
04-29-2014, 6:47 PM
I believe grounding the grey wire bypasses the BAS..but wait for someone who knows for sure to chime in...

What exactly does your bike do in ignition mode? You have lights etc?

Ohhhh...It doesn't even turn over. My bad, missed that part. So the BAS is eliminated cause it would still crank...

Ground. You need a good ground for your starter push button.

BrokenSprocketGarage
04-29-2014, 7:18 PM
BAS cuts power to the coil in a tip over. Therefore it would not cause this problem. Don't replace anything until you have it diagnossed. Using a heavy jumper wire from battery positive post, touch it to the small spade connector on the solenoid. If solenoid is good it will activate starter.
My suspicion is that the problem is either in your wiring to the start button or relay. Not a bad relay, just that it isn't wired correctly.
Use a test light and check for voltage at your handlebar start button.
Do these two tests and report back

Blackbetty
04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Yes, grounding BAS bypasses it.

shockwave
04-30-2014, 7:58 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I took a look at my ground strap and there was some rust on the frame, took that down with a file and went ahead and replaced the ground strap with one that was 16" to alleviate the PITA that is pulling the battery in and out, which is something I had planned on doing once I got the bike running.

Made a jumper cable to go from the battery pos terminal to the solenoid and the starter turned over. Great news! I did not want to have to replace that bitch. Using a multimeter I verified +12v from the start button when it is depressed (0.03v when its not) to the start relay (BK/RD wire). I checked for continuity from the solenoid to the relay and that was good as well.

BrokenSprocketGarage
05-01-2014, 6:01 AM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I took a look at my ground strap and there was some rust on the frame, took that down with a file and went ahead and replaced the ground strap with one that was 16" to alleviate the PITA that is pulling the battery in and out, which is something I had planned on doing once I got the bike running.

Made a jumper cable to go from the battery pos terminal to the solenoid and the starter turned over. Great news! I did not want to have to replace that bitch. Using a multimeter I verified +12v from the start button when it is depressed (0.03v when its not) to the start relay (BK/RD wire). I checked for continuity from the solenoid to the relay and that was good as well.

Good job! You have verified that your solenoid and starter are working.
Now, correct me if I am wrong. You have voltage to your starter relay when you press the start button? If so, does the relay make a light clicking sound? Verify the relay has a good ground connection. Thinking you have a problem at the relay/bad relay/not wired correctly.
Another test: using your multimeter positive probe check for voltage at the starter solenoid green wire when pressing the start button.

shockwave
05-01-2014, 5:54 PM
No voltage coming out of the relay, no noise from the relay either. Ground was solid. Checked that my kill switch was operating properly (BK/WH wire coming from pod. +12v when on 0 when off). My local shop has a relay on stock so I will give that a shot as I'm out of ideas on how to further troubleshoot it.

shockwave
05-01-2014, 7:47 PM
Threw the new relay in and it worked without a hitch. Now for some fuel and hopefully a successful shakedown! Thanks for all of the help guys!

BrokenSprocketGarage
05-03-2014, 6:34 AM
Good job! You fixed it.

residentdud
05-07-2014, 3:57 AM
Good job dude! Badass!