PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Honda cb 750 Carb question

xKNOXOUTx
04-11-2010, 1:00 AM
Hey guys, I'm pretty clueless and trying to learn. I recently bought this 1980 honda and have done some very basic stuff to it thus far. I removed the carb and rebuilt it and cleaned it up! While it was off decided I didn't want that hideous air filter box so I removed it. I ordered 4 individual pod style filters. Now the bike will start but does not run good. Lots of smoke and no get up and go when you gun it. I'm sure it needs to be tuned due to new filters, any tips or help you can provide me on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Another problem I'm facing now is the boots are wanting to hold the carb in as well as before, i'm guessing because filter box was holding also. I read you can spray silicone or something on them to help. THANKS in advance guys

rustrocket84
04-11-2010, 1:12 AM
Try these jet sizes 110/75 and your air/fuel screw should be about 2 1/2 turns out. It'll give you a starting point. Also you may want to put a piece of tape covering about an inch or so of the top (end farthest from the carb) pod. I gave this a run on one of mine and it seemed to run ok. It's a starting point nontheless. Also while you have it off for future tuning shave off the piece of the air fuel mixture screw that sticks out so you won't have to remove the bowls in the future, if you haven't already.

rustrocket84
04-11-2010, 1:13 AM
www.jetsrus.com if you need the jets for it. Way cheaper than a Honda dealer and just about anywhere else. Fast service and delivery too

xKNOXOUTx
04-11-2010, 1:23 AM
So I will need to change my jets? Also did you add a crankcase breather filter since the hoses used to connect to the air filter box are just hangin out now not connected to anything?

rustrocket84
04-11-2010, 5:24 PM
Just a simple clamp on filter is all I have. You can get them at your local auto parts store.

xKNOXOUTx
04-12-2010, 1:05 AM
Awesome thanks for the info! Did you have to build any kind of support to keep your carb from falling or rattling our of the engine? Seems like the boots won't hold it now that it's missing the air filter box that was supporting it

Twinkies
04-12-2010, 7:25 PM
just a suggestion.. if you plan on swapping out your exhaust or chopping your stock pipes
you might as well do it now so you dont have to do the whole tuning thing twice.

revmike
04-12-2010, 8:52 PM
Just for fun, try trimming the choke when you run it while you wait for the jets. try about 1/2 choke and then slowly ease on more choke while you're running, somewhere in there you should find some sweet spots. Don't run it without choke or you may burn up your valves. Too much air makes a cutting torch inside there, you want to make it richer. This is only an interim solution...

Yeah, if you are changing the pipes, do that before you rejet as it may ALSO require a rejet.

~Rev Mike

themotorcycleguy
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Awesome thanks for the info! Did you have to build any kind of support to keep your carb from falling or rattling our of the engine? Seems like the boots won't hold it now that it's missing the air filter box that was supporting it

Are you certain that your carbs are pushed all the way into the intake boots? If your carbs are falling off they either aren't seated all the way in or your boots are so bad that they won't seal and you'll end up sucking air and running lean. Fix that problem first and then re-jet. Without the stock air box you will have to go up in size for the jets.

Snipes
04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Are you certain that your carbs are pushed all the way into the intake boots?.

+1 to this. If you're carbs are loose then somethings not fitting right. I got a couple of 4cyl hondas and the carbs hold up just fine in the boots. I don't run the airbox either. They can be a head ache to push in properly and they should fit tight.

xKNOXOUTx
04-14-2010, 3:36 PM
Thanks fellas- for the time being I put the stock filter box back on and plan on trying to make the pods work at a later date, prob do that and the exhaust at the same time so I can re-jet at the same time.