PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

EMAN
04-21-2014, 12:02 PM
I can't seem to find my issue in any other thread, apologies if there is one out there that I over looked. (Point me there if you know of one).
The bike is a 77 xlch. I re built the clutch(primo I believe) everything looked ok. Cleaned it all out. Spaced the manual spec of 11/16. Bolted the cover. Adjusted the cable... Several times.
Here is the problem, I shift into first gear and it stalls. It's as if the clutch is not engaged. After a few attempts.(attempts of adjusting the clutch by the book) I went rouge with the adjustment. Tighten up the cable slack, and tried again. Same thing. I noticed the bike doesn't roll even with the clutch pulled in. (Whilst in gear). I don't want to damage anything, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Clockwork444
04-21-2014, 12:20 PM
did you do anything to the clutch cable? i have seen people mess up the cam that actuates the clutch inside the primary cover. also did you install the clutch plates dry?

EMAN
04-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I did clean up the 3 ball set up. I did clean the clutch plates both steel and friction. Rebuilt it dry but once I got the cover on I filled it with oil. ( by filled I mean by spec amount).

Clockwork444
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
i have never redone a sporty clutch but i did an xs650 dry and it did the same thing. fluid couldnt get in between the plates well enough and it never totally disengaged because it was dry. i had to pull the basket back off and lube each plate and put them back in, once i did that it was flawless.

MegaDON666
04-23-2014, 1:55 PM
If you are confident the clutch adjustment is correct, Double check the steel clutch plates against a peice of glass or something similar. I had one slightly distorted, didnt think it was the issue but replaced it anyways and it fixed my problem. Also the clutch might get stuck if sitting for a long time (doubt this is the case since you recently had it apart) but it woulnd hurt to try. Start the bike and start rolling it down the driveway or have someone push you, drop it into gear and ride it around a bit, it could free up the clutch.