PDA

View Full Version : I'm drunk right now and trying to start my XS650

scotttowne
04-10-2010, 7:32 PM
It's getting spark and gas, but it ain't firin'. Good compression too. It's a ;72 with the "compression release" lever that is also the starter trigger (big surprise to me when I pulled it in to start kicking and the engine started turning over). What next? trying to rule out the obvious and go from there until it fires.

beanhead78
04-10-2010, 7:38 PM
put the beer down and read the part in the manual that says troubleshooting. if you have to ,put your hand over one eye so you can see straight.

SMChewy
04-10-2010, 7:45 PM
If your getting spark and your gettin fuel, more than likely it's the timing. And your using the release correctly too I assume? If your unfamiliar with it, you gotta turn motor till it stops at compression. Pull the release and just barley get it past the compression. Let go of the lever, then kick. (not trying to say your doing it wrong, just don't know if you have used one, but I assume your doing it right. So start with timing).

billdozer
04-10-2010, 9:39 PM
Have another beer Scott and try it in the mornin'!

junkyardjon
04-10-2010, 9:54 PM
if you push it about a mile down the road, it will start

scotttowne
04-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I should have entitled this "I'm lost" ("I'm drunk" is a bit attention-starved, eh?) but Milehigh, that's exactly the kind of info I was searching for. No idea on the starting protocol of this long stagnant beast. Thanks!

scotttowne
04-10-2010, 10:45 PM
also, I probably have about a mile and a half of pushing into it now and still no go. I focused my attention elsewhere tonight and finally found the magic combination of spokes to lace the rear wheel. I guess I wasn't that drunk.

scotttowne
04-11-2010, 8:41 PM
okay, I guess I was drunk because I wasn't following directions well. I just went through the compression release/kick procedure MileHigh described and the motherfucker lit up! STOKED. thanks man.

SMChewy
04-11-2010, 8:54 PM
okay, I guess I was drunk because I wasn't following directions well. I just went through the compression release/kick procedure MileHigh described and the motherfucker lit up! STOKED. thanks man.

Ha ha. Right on!

SMChewy
04-11-2010, 8:56 PM
...and good thing you didn't start with the timing. Ha ha. I used to forget to let go of the release on my friends old dirt bike.