PDA

View Full Version : Sportster no power help

brendon89
04-10-2014, 8:23 PM
looking for some advice, i started having issues with the electrical on my bike after i changed the break pads? quite odd right lol. No but really i changed the pads took it for a spin, bike ran perfect. I got back and asked my buddie to take it for a spin to see what he thought of the breaks. when he went to start it
i heard a quick pop noise, after that the bike had now power. I had the bike rewired and a turn key ignition installed. later that day i bump started it and rode it home. I checked all the fuses and replaced the ignition but nothing has changed. i check the battery and it read 12.6 then i took it off and tested it and it read 11.6, left it off for an hour and tested it again and it said 9.5 i dont think its the battery but im not great with electical its beyond my knowledge. do you have any suggestions

any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated

thanks brendon

RetroRob
04-10-2014, 9:24 PM
Check the ground wire. Should have a good connection to BARE metal.

TheTurd
04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
I have a '98 1200 that has died at work the other day. The backstory is, the bike is pretty chopped up but wiring has meen mildly molested. I have deleted the kill switch and have a momentary push button mounted by the battery for ignition. The bike is still keyed which turns on the lights and opens the circuit. However, I recently replaced my starter button (as the other one broke) and I'm thinking I didn't use one with the correct amperage. Since I replaced the button, my bike has been laboring to start, often dimming the headlight very low before firing. When I went to start it yesterday, I pressed the button and the headlight went off completely. The bike lazily turned over once and then there was a pop from where the fuse panel is. All the fuses are fine and I replaced the circuit breaker yesterday just to be sure, but to no avail. I have no power when I turn the key on. No lights, no clicking of the starter...Nothing. I have 12V from the battery and need to check voltage at the ignition switch. Could it be that the starter relay has blown? Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows that that relay is like the 3rd stop for power getting to your bike, but it doesn't look damaged in any way. Thoughts?

squeege
04-15-2015, 1:09 PM
I have a '98 1200 that has died at work the other day. The backstory is, the bike is pretty chopped up but wiring has meen mildly molested. I have deleted the kill switch and have a momentary push button mounted by the battery for ignition. The bike is still keyed which turns on the lights and opens the circuit. However, I recently replaced my starter button (as the other one broke) and I'm thinking I didn't use one with the correct amperage. Since I replaced the button, my bike has been laboring to start, often dimming the headlight very low before firing. When I went to start it yesterday, I pressed the button and the headlight went off completely. The bike lazily turned over once and then there was a pop from where the fuse panel is. All the fuses are fine and I replaced the circuit breaker yesterday just to be sure, but to no avail. I have no power when I turn the key on. No lights, no clicking of the starter...Nothing. I have 12V from the battery and need to check voltage at the ignition switch. Could it be that the starter relay has blown? Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows that that relay is like the 3rd stop for power getting to your bike, but it doesn't look damaged in any way. Thoughts?

theturd could be your battery, even though it is showing 12v there is still amperage if that is wrong it could be a bad cell etc. Try getting a load test on that battery you currently have, also check to see if you have any wires grounding out. hope this helps