PDA

View Full Version : How to smooth out Triumph clutches

TRUMPNUT
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
One of the biggest problems with British clutches is the Activator Rod . One the first EDR I had my BSA's clutch fail to the point of no side of the road repair . The stock clutch rod end mushroomed out . This wasn't the first time I have seen it happen , so I had the rod tested . It ended up being 1010 mild steel case hardened . Well case hardening is only a few thousanths thick it can wear away . So I made one for my A10 out of O1 tool steel that I O.D. ground and polished . After that I never had a problem with it and the clutch was never so smooth to pull !

So a couple weeks bck my buddy has clutch issues . He replaced the clutch and still kept having to adjust it all the time and it just never felt right . I took a look at it and found his rod was deflecting and cuasing drag in the main shaft . I made him a new rod and adjuster with a bearing , now he has a smooth clutch too .

I now have the rod kits for sale for ubit 650/750 Triumphs both stock style and with bearing adjuster .
Top is stock rod and adjuster ( note the wear marks on the end from deflection )
Bottom is O1 hardened rod with ball bearing and new adjuster ( note on early preasure plates you will have to retap the adjuster to 3/8-24 from the 3/8-26 that they used )http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w321/Trumpnutcycleparts/van036.jpg

ClassicCycles
08-17-2009, 2:07 PM
Good info... Does that also help out to make 'softer' clutches... I've been wondering why some bikes have softer clutches than others.. Even when they have all brand new parts in both.

Why the ball bearing toward the middle of the rod instead of at the end?

Andy

TRUMPNUT
08-17-2009, 5:08 PM
Good info... Does that also help out to make 'softer' clutches... I've been wondering why some bikes have softer clutches than others.. Even when they have all brand new parts in both.

Why the ball bearing toward the middle of the rod instead of at the end?

AndyIf you put the bearing towards the end it will fall out of the shaft when the clutch is disengaged .
Yes it does make a smoother clutch . Much easier to pull .

Scraper
08-18-2009, 6:48 AM
awesome man - my clutch has been pretty good to me since i got a new basket, bearings & thrust washer but the clutch tightness always depends on the conditions. not so much the weight of the lever but free-play in the lever.

you got a link or a pic to the new bearing style rod?

ElPaintero
08-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Great idea.My clutch can be a little hard on a long ride and I've adjusted the hell out of it.I'd like to try one of those.

TRUMPNUT
08-19-2009, 8:44 PM
They will be up on my site early next week
trumpnutcycleparts.com

ChopperTim68
08-25-2009, 5:58 PM
Great info, I would be interested in one also!

juicybruce
09-28-2009, 11:51 PM
looks like it just might work, i just swithched from foot clutch back to hand lever and realized that while quite dainty feeling on my foot the clutch was actuallly a moster when in hand...i simply backed off the clutch spring tension 3/4 turn and now have no issues, i suppose if i back off too far it will begin to slip however, no prob at the moment.

travasesino
09-29-2009, 8:51 PM
i think i'd like one, too.

TroopThrowback
09-30-2009, 9:14 PM
Looking forward to more on this mod. I'm using your extended Amal screw set on my build. It was good to meet you at the G.V. Roll-in.

TRUMPNUT
10-02-2009, 7:25 PM
The first run sold out .
All my brit riding buds have them and I haven't had to fix there clutches on the side of the road yet so I'm guessing it's all good . I ran mine in my A10 for about 3 years with no problems and the wife has one in her pre unit .

KT
10-02-2009, 7:40 PM
Sounds like it is time for run two???

nimrod
10-07-2009, 4:11 PM
and the wife has one in her pre unit .

You makin em for pre units too then I take it?

TRUMPNUT
10-07-2009, 7:47 PM
Pre Units already have a ball bearing from the factory and if you have the stock preasure plate . then there is no way to add a adjuster bolt since the adjuster is under the kicker cover .

I do make just a hardened rod for them though

TroopThrowback
10-09-2009, 9:09 PM
When will we see them on the site? How long before you might get another run completed? This is pretty interesting to me.

HtM
03-15-2010, 2:23 PM
I remember reading something about this a while ago. I came back to have another look and saw they had sold out and were NLA directly from Trumpnut's site.
I figured while I was swapping from LH shift to right and the side cases were off, I might as well give this a try.

Searching around a little, I found them now being sold at Lowbrow (http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts/clutch-pushrod-for-your-triumph-motorcycle-new-improved.aspx).

TRUMPNUT
03-15-2010, 2:37 PM
I remember reading something about this a while ago. I came back to have another look and saw they had sold out and were NLA directly from Trumpnut's site.
I figured while I was swapping from LH shift to right and the side cases were off, I might as well give this a try.

Searching around a little, I found them now being sold at Lowbrow (http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts/clutch-pushrod-for-your-triumph-motorcycle-new-improved.aspx).I have no idea how to update my site so LowBrow is the main place to get them . Although there are a couple other places that sell them But they change the packaging .

My new clutch nuts really help in getting the wholeshebang to work better . If you have any experaince messing with the stock slotted style you will understand why I made these !
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w321/Trumpnutcycleparts/003.jpg
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w321/Trumpnutcycleparts/005.jpg

GreaserMike
03-15-2010, 2:54 PM
I like Nick's kit so much i did a little write up on it:

http://trueeastmc.blogspot.com/2010/03/parts-review-trumpnuts-performance.html

HtM
03-16-2010, 2:37 AM
My new clutch nuts really help in getting the wholeshebang to work better . If you have any experaince messing with the stock slotted style you will understand why I made these!

Do they still have the "pips"/detents that keep the springs from spinning and backing out the nuts?
I just wrestled again with the slotted type, I'm definitely interested!

How do you get the allen to seat with the stud in the way, or is the tool slightly concave or hollow?

Shoots
03-16-2010, 4:14 AM
Do the unit 500's have the same clutch probs as the 6 and 750's? Would this kit work with a unit 500?

TRUMPNUT
03-16-2010, 9:40 PM
Do they still have the "pips"/detents that keep the springs from spinning and backing out the nuts?
I just wrestled again with the slotted type, I'm definitely interested!

How do you get the allen to seat with the stud in the way, or is the tool slightly concave or hollow?Yes they do have the "pip" but the pic was taken before I made the stamping die to punch the detent . The tool is hollow to allow for the stud to go into it as you adjust the clutch . And they are so easy to install it's sick !

Yes I do have a clutch rod kit for the unit 500's now . They to have the same problem as the rest .

KT
03-18-2010, 5:49 PM
Got a clutch rod coming from Lowbrow mine is a little stiff to pull so maybe this will help it out ...also got my rocker oil feed nuts today they look damn nice ...Now I need to put on the new copper washers and set them on too ...

destroy13
03-21-2010, 8:57 AM
I got mine in the mail on Friday and it feels smooth as can be. Thanks dudes!

ridemore16
03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
looks like there was a run on the Triumph versions at Lowbrow. they only show kits available for BSA's. I guess I'll get in touch with Lowbrow and see if/when more Triumph kits will be available.

TRUMPNUT
03-22-2010, 9:16 PM
You makin em for pre units too then I take it?Sorry about that . I just read through all the posts and noticed you put that after I said my wife is running one on her preunit . I should clearify that her clutch is not stock . She has a cast preasure plate .

3trumpets
03-30-2010, 6:38 PM
this works for me - maybe it will for you. I pull the clutches out of my bikes and clean everything with brakeclean and let dry overnight. File any sharp corners off the metal discs to prevent drag. Then rub down both sides of each clutch disk with fresh NON-synthetic automatic transmission fluid , reassemble and fill the primary with the ATF on my pre-OIF's. Adjust clutch rod per Triumph manual. I run the three goof cap nuts on the clutch derby flush with the spring studs and check for concentric depression movement of the derby and springs. The clutches free up after one or two dry kicks before starting which helps the bike start real easy. Start offs and shifting are nice - smooth & tight.

TroopThrowback
03-30-2010, 7:45 PM
this works for me - maybe it will for you. I pull the clutches out of my bikes and clean everything with brakeclean and let dry overnight. File any sharp corners off the metal discs to prevent drag. Then rub down both sides of each clutch disk with fresh NON-synthetic automatic transmission fluid , reassemble and fill the primary with the ATF on my pre-OIF's. Adjust clutch rod per Triumph manual. I run the three goof cap nuts on the clutch derby flush with the spring studs and check for concentric depression movement of the derby and springs. The clutches free up after one or two dry kicks before starting which helps the bike start real easy. Start offs and shifting are nice - smooth & tight.

Well now, that doesn't sell many parts then, does it?

Still, I want one of those push rods.