PDA

View Full Version : Maryland/NoVa/DC/Southern PA Tool/Skill Swap?

toast
03-19-2014, 7:19 PM
Hey guys! I'm located in Frederick MD. Since I'm currently working on my bike in a patch of grass under a wooden deck, I thought I'd reach out on CC and find out if anybody in the area likes to share.

I'm about ready to paint my tins. I have guns, a compressor (small, cheap, and weak, but should manage my tins fine), and paint; what I don't have is a place. Does anybody in the area have a small booth/garage they'd be willing to let me use? I'm willing to drive about an hour each way from Frederick and can provide beer on request.

Also, if anybody else needs something, this can double as a "Anybody got this tool?" - "Yeah I've got that, swing on by" thread for the area.

krb
03-19-2014, 7:47 PM
I don't have a paint booth, but I have plans to put something together some time this summer. Just a wood frame with plastic sheeting and a fan so I can keep the paint and dust and shit form getting all over the rest of the garage. Mainly for doing fiberglass work but the occasional bit of painting too.

Also, I know you're a little distant but check out http://www.meetup.com/Greasy-Nuts/

toast
03-19-2014, 9:02 PM
I tried registering for the group but never received the confirmation email. Maybe I'll get it late tonight. As far as the paint goes, I'd like to find a place where I can get some paint done before the end of April. Definitely want to get that done before I ride out to BF6

Misfitcj
03-21-2014, 6:59 PM
I tried registering for the group but never received the confirmation email.
same issue.......

krb
03-22-2014, 1:35 PM
Is the confirmation email being pushed into a spam filter for you guys?

Misfitcj
03-22-2014, 7:08 PM

will check, either way I am down south, garage, most tools and trailer if needed.

ltr Pat

JMLewis87
03-22-2014, 9:19 PM
Us DMV bros need to get together sometime soon. I've got my Sporty stripped down now for a rewire and some other stuff but should be good to go in a couple of weeks, waiting for Brown Santa to finish his deliveries.

Misfitcj
03-23-2014, 7:21 PM
Us DMV bros need to get together sometime soon. I've got my Sporty stripped down now for a rewire and some other stuff but should be good to go in a couple of weeks, waiting for Brown Santa to finish his deliveries.

word

toast
03-26-2014, 6:46 PM

If you're using gmail, it goes into your Social folder... Figured that out.

As far as a meetup goes, I'm down if it's warmer than 60 and not raining.

nafets
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Yo I'm down. Supposed to be warm this week and would love to go riding with you guys.

Misfitcj
03-27-2014, 7:28 PM
I have a buddy heading over to the house to swap some bars and do some small garage stuff. If you want I can shoot out my address? Wife is southern, and refuses to let people leave hungry, rough life i know.

Ltr Pat

toast
03-28-2014, 8:52 PM
Gotta get mine legal... Install plate mount and new shocks. Wanted to do it this weekend but it's supposed to rain all weekend and my "shop" is the patch of grass outside my back door...

JMLewis87
03-28-2014, 9:44 PM
Gotta get mine legal... Install plate mount and new shocks. Wanted to do it this weekend but it's supposed to rain all weekend and my "shop" is the patch of grass outside my back door...

You sir need one of those cheap wal-mart pop up tents

toast
04-02-2014, 6:36 PM
You sir need one of those cheap wal-mart pop up tents

Haha "going to the garage, be right back." *zip*

Got new-used Sportster Sport shocks installed... Don't recommend jacking up your bike in soft wet grass with a car jack. Sharkeisha didn't fall over though. Plate mount is installed. Need to install tag lights, but I'll get around to that.

New bars from Zombie Performance are being built for me. New grips on standby for those. New OEM-style pegs on standby for whenever I get around to them. Working with a guy to get a speedo relo bracket made up that includes the dummy lights. New risers in the mail (I hope). First thing's last, gonna take my tins off and ship them and all my paint to my step-brother in Kansas, since he's an auto painter. Wanted to do it myself, but BF6 is fast approaching so Sharkeisha needs to be polished up and put together before June.

JMLewis87
04-02-2014, 9:28 PM
Dang I would kill to have the time and money to ride all the way to BF, maybe one year.

toast
04-03-2014, 6:15 PM
Dang I would kill to have the time and money to ride all the way to BF, maybe one year.

I'm in the Navy. It was a quick hour and a half ride the last two years when I was stationed in San Diego. Then I got moved out here. So I'm taking 21 days of leave to ride there and back. My other buddy is flying back in from Italy and is gonna borrow a friend's spare bike.

Sunkensouls
07-13-2014, 9:47 PM
I'm in the Navy. It was a quick hour and a half ride the last two years when I was stationed in San Diego. Then I got moved out here. So I'm taking 21 days of leave to ride there and back. My other buddy is flying back in from Italy and is gonna borrow a friend's spare bike.

So how was born free? You get back ok?

toast
08-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Shit man sorry for the late reply. BF was a fuckin' blasty blast. The trip there and back not so much... Five days to CA, five back, and it rained 7 out of the 10. Exhausting to say the least. 3600 miles on a sporty is no joke. Only got pulled over once though! Already planning next year's trip... Might have to fly this time.

JCal
09-28-2014, 9:58 AM
JCal here from Ruther Glen, Va. ( a dot on the map between Fredericksburg and Richmond off of I-95 ) ... Not much help with a place to paint but I have a drive-in basement with enough room for another bike ( other than mine ) with a hydraulic MC jack, air compressor, bench grinder, MIG welder, more than enough hand tools to do most repairs and several "special tools" to replace cam bearings, main shaft bearings, etc on H-D twin cams. Been trying to meet others in and around the area that are interested in riding and getting together for maintenance or just to have a few drinks and bullshit when riding isn't practical but, what I always seem to end up finding is a bunch of people who are interested in talking about riding on their social media pages and share pictures of their cats or whatever but mention anything about getting together somewhere to actually ride or being a Brotherand you'd have thought that I was some kind of creepy stalker or something asking for their address or phone number -- whatever. I've got better things to do than waste my time with Posers and Wannabes.
So "Brolodex" sounds a lot like an idea that I tried putting together a while back that I called "Bikers Phone Book" ( and I've thought about trying it again here on CC ) where Bikers could add their own contact info as well as "Biker Friendly" places of interest, Honest and Reliable MC wrenches, Biker Bars, Dealerships, etc. in their own areas that might be useful to a Brother who might be travelling through. Needless to say, the idea went nowhere -- again, I guess everyone on those sites could "talk the talk" but none were actually willing to "walk the walk".

toast
09-28-2014, 7:14 PM
JCal, looks like you're about 2 hours from me in Frederick, MD. Referring to your comment about the biker's phone book, I think that's a pretty good idea. The general forum has the ChopCult Travel Assistance thread, but I don't think that the standard forum post style works with the idea, because you'd have to trawl through pages of posts to find people in the area you're looking for. It would be a lot easier to navigate if it were broken down state by state; which is where the Brolodex forum could come in handy, but unfortunately this forum isn't as trafficked as the others can be. I think you should run with the idea, maybe start up a web page or something.

You mention a lot of tools and stuff that you have; I don't have much of that. I don't have any major work to do, but I'm always trying to learn more. Being two hours away, I obviously wouldn't be able to make it down every weekend, but I might be able to make a trip occasionally. If you're interested, shoot me a pm with your contact info and we'll go from there.

JCal
09-29-2014, 3:07 PM
Thanks Toast, I will probably work on putting a "Bikers Phone Book" together on here later. I sent you a PM with my phone.

AZDYNA
09-29-2014, 6:54 PM
Hey guys. The Army is shipping me out to Maryland in a couple of weeks to train at Walter Reed Hospital. Im going to be living in Gaithersberg while they have me out there. Im always looking for good dudes to ride and wrench with. Not sure how far away I am from every one but if any one wants to meet up for a beer some time let me know.

JCal
09-30-2014, 4:33 PM
Hey AZ ! Youre definitely a lot closer to "Toast" than me but you're both about 2 hours from me ( Looks like Toast is about 30 minutes or so NW of Gaithersburg ) -- I'm in Ladysmith, Va. ( a dot on the map between Fredericksburg and Richmond off of I-95 ). We can definitely get together for rides and / or wrenching and beer.

toast
09-30-2014, 7:00 PM
Hey man. Be careful on the roads when you get here; Maryland drivers are THE WORST. Plus the highway/road system isn't very intuitive at all so you have to keep your head on a swivel to make sure you don't get lost, and so you don't get run off the road.

I'm Navy, stationed at Fort Detrick. Came out from California. Best bet for any kind of 'scene' are the guys affiliated with Lowside mag and garage in Baltimore.

AZDYNA
09-30-2014, 7:13 PM
I appreciate the heads up toast. I will definitley take some time to get used to the area.

Ive been trying to find some events to scope out when I get out there. Is any one interested in checking out the Jalopyrama in Annapolis or the swapmeet in Friendship MD? I think they fall on the 25th and 26th of oct. Other then that Ill have to see about getting up to Baltimore to check out the Lowside guys.

krb
09-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Hey man. Be careful on the roads when you get here; Maryland drivers are THE WORST. Plus the highway/road system isn't very intuitive at all so you have to keep your head on a swivel to make sure you don't get lost, and so you don't get run off the road.
Absolute truth. Most of the drivers in the DC and Baltimore area take stupid to a whole new level and there are freeway on-ramps that have stop signs at the end and no acceleration lane after the sign.

Tip #1: Don't use your turn signal when you change lanes, it warns the drivers in the other lane that they need to accelerate and close the gap so you can't move over.

Tip #2: If you see somebody in the other lane turn on their turn signal to move over in front of you, step on the gas and don't let them over. Anybody around here who's "polite" enough to use their signal when changing lanes is also going to be "polite" enough to leave a large gap in front so large that trucks and buses will have no problems moving into the lane in front of them. Allowing that one car to get in front of you is effectively the same thing as allowing 15 or 20 cars in front of you.

Tip #3: In the state of VA the vehicle code definition of Reckless Driving specifically includes both changing lanes without first using a turn signal and accelerating to prevent another vehicle from passing you.

AZDYNA
10-01-2014, 5:59 AM
Absolute truth. Most of the drivers in the DC and Baltimore area take stupid to a whole new level and there are freeway on-ramps that have stop signs at the end and no acceleration lane after the sign.

Tip #1: Don't use your turn signal when you change lanes, it warns the drivers in the other lane that they need to accelerate and close the gap so you can't move over.

Tip #2: If you see somebody in the other lane turn on their turn signal to move over in front of you, step on the gas and don't let them over. Anybody around here who's "polite" enough to use their signal when changing lanes is also going to be "polite" enough to leave a large gap in front so large that trucks and buses will have no problems moving into the lane in front of them. Allowing that one car to get in front of you is effectively the same thing as allowing 15 or 20 cars in front of you.

Tip #3: In the state of VA the vehicle code definition of Reckless Driving specifically includes both changing lanes without first using a turn signal and accelerating to prevent another vehicle from passing you.

Sounds like I better bring my A game when im riding. Any equipment regulations I need to know about? Im not running turn signals on my bike. Problem?

jricharc
11-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Anybody good with wiring in the area? I have a '94 Sporty that I am looking to re-wire in the off-season and remove most of the crap douche connectors. I want to run just a headlight/tail light and ignition switch and have everything be as clean as possible. I have a buddy that is good with electronics but neither of us has much experience with bike wiring. I am in Manassas and he is in Patuxent Md so anyone around either area looking to make some extra cash?

stickyfingers
12-07-2014, 5:19 PM
Take it to Departures in richmond all they do is ground up builds there work is the best and it cost the same as the guy who doesn't no what he's doing make a Saturday out of it good luck

Fad9567
12-06-2015, 1:26 PM
Reviving this old thread because I am new to CC. Just bought a stock xl1200n because my xs650 was giving my problems for a year and a half, when I get a garage I will do a tear down. I know the riding season only has a few more warm days (if any) but better late than never.

I am in NW DC (Petworth) also I have a brother that has a 78 kz400 that needs the wiring re-done. If anyone can help us out and trying to get it wired right please drop me a line.

toast
12-06-2015, 7:24 PM
Reviving this old thread because I am new to CC. Just bought a stock xl1200n because my xs650 was giving my problems for a year and a half, when I get a garage I will do a tear down. I know the riding season only has a few more warm days (if any) but better late than never.

I am in NW DC (Petworth) also I have a brother that has a 78 kz400 that needs the wiring re-done. If anyone can help us out and trying to get it wired right please drop me a line.

I don't know anything about wiring really. I know of a shop in Hagerstown, Full Circle V-Twin.

JHK
12-22-2015, 2:22 PM
@ Fad: Figuring out wiring is like trying to build a space shuttle from scratch to me. I must have a learning disability.

However, there's a place in Kensington, MD (go straight down Connecticut Avenue from DC) called Myers Cycle Engineering. They work on all types of bikes. I've never taken mine there but I've talked to Deep a few times and he's a cool guy. He'll probably be the one who answers the phone. They have a very good reputation.

Cycle Connection in Damascus, MD (take 270 North). I have an old van I'm working on and was driving through some of the farm country up there and saw it, totally by accident. I looked them up out of curiosity and apparently they'll work on just about anything.

I don't know if this is much help, but . . .

I've asked this before but I'll try again -- anyone know anyone who does custom fab work? The DC area isn't exactly a mecca. Baltimore is a better bet, I'm sure.

toast
12-22-2015, 8:25 PM
As mentioned above, I know that Full Circle V Twin in Hagerstown does fab work. They make custom tanks, do full ground up builds, etc. In Baltimore you've got the lowside garage, where you can do/learn fab work, or pay them for. Depending on what you need done, I may know a couple garage guys that could suit ya

JHK
12-25-2015, 10:50 PM
@toast. Thanks for the recommendations. I just checked out Full Circle's website. Both Hagerstown and Baltimore are about 1.5 hours from me, so not bad. I did think of Lowside a long time ago so thanks for reminding me...

My metal fab needs are pretty simple: tall sissy bar to go with a seat I'm making and a funky upswept exhaust. Taking some inspiration from the "Swing-arm choppers -- cant they look good" thread. My bike, by the way, is a 94 Suzuki Intruder 1400. It's a nice platform that's not appreciated as much as it should be because it comes off the assembly line narrow, raked, and with a big engine. But it's a little bit of a pain in the ass compared to a Sporty, for example. The shaft drive is the big killer, if you want to hard tail, in my opinion.