PDA

View Full Version : GS550 Back Street Hauler...

Blackjack
04-07-2010, 5:41 PM
Bought a GS 550.

Did stuff to it.

Nosing in on done....

wllgmr
04-07-2010, 6:18 PM
i like dat

shop102
04-07-2010, 11:05 PM
dig it. more pics????

Blackjack
04-08-2010, 4:39 AM
I had to stand on top of the bender to take that one...

Too much crap in the shop to get it outside and take some pics of it.

Blackjack
05-12-2010, 5:29 PM
Chopped up the 4-1 that came with it, and threw in some new / scrap stuff to build the exhaust.

djturnz
05-13-2010, 9:39 AM
Nice pics. I was going to read your full build description, but it was a bit wordy. What are you an English major? You might as well get a publisher with a novel like that.

Blackjack
05-13-2010, 6:06 PM
Well, it's more a series of magazine articles than a novel.

But it is published.

Back Street Heroes magazine, usally around page 56. This ones been in there from about issue 298 on.

Blackjack
06-09-2010, 6:34 PM
Decided that there was too much acreage in the side panels.

Made some stuff to break them up a bit.

albertahawk
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
side pannels are great fab work so thumbs up on that and what springs did you use on the seat??

Blackjack
06-10-2010, 3:02 PM
They're exhaust mounting springs.

Attach the header to the manifold on some FWD van apparently.

I just get em from a place that sells car exhausts.

They're only zinc plated, and the top ones are waaaay too stiff.

But they were cheap.

Drake93
06-28-2010, 3:02 AM
That's looking good. I have a GS 650 I've been thinking about chopping - I'm guessing you hardtailed the stock frame? Was it a chain or shaft drive model?

Sighless
06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Bought a GS 550.

Did stuff to it.

Nosing in on done....

Great decryption!

WARNING to all early 80's Suzuki GS owners You have to read this! It could save you TONS!

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/known-issues/street_57050.php

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

Reading this helped a lot on my Zuki build.

Blackjack
07-12-2010, 5:30 PM
That's looking good. I have a GS 650 I've been thinking about chopping - I'm guessing you hardtailed the stock frame? Was it a chain or shaft drive model?

Yeah. The 550 is chain drive.

First thing I did was stretch the downtubes so it sat level at 5" ride height.

Then I hardtailed it, Axle plates on the end of the swing arm, new, single top tube and seat rails I built on the bench. Once I had the top in, I did the lower rails. Cut the tacks to the plates, pulled the pin, took the arm out.

Shafties, require more thought. Usually I build a frame from scratch for those, but I like to build a proper hardtail, not involving the original swing arm or the shaft side shock mount....

Drake93
07-12-2010, 6:08 PM
Shafties, require more thought. Usually I build a frame from scratch for those, but I like to build a proper hardtail, not involving the original swing arm or the shaft side shock mount....

Yeah.. I'm just riding it and tweaking the motor a bit for now, while i weigh my options. A scratch frame sounds like it might be the way to go.

Blackjack
07-13-2010, 3:06 AM
Yeah.. I'm just riding it and tweaking the motor a bit for now, while i weigh my options. A scratch frame sounds like it might be the way to go.

There's a Specter 750 Kwak in my shop that belongs to my cousin. The problem is once you decide to dump the stock arm, then positioning the bevel box becomes a bit of an ass ache.

I can probably arrange for some pics of the Kwak if it would help?

shaft
04-19-2011, 8:49 PM
i have a 78 gs 550 and I put pod filters on and am plannignto cut the pipes. Any ideas on what jet size I should use to replace them? Im assuming you did that to yours

Sighless
04-19-2011, 9:06 PM
i have a 78 gs 550 and I put pod filters on and am plannignto cut the pipes. Any ideas on what jet size I should use to replace them? Im assuming you did that to yours

Go up 1-2 jet sizes (3 at most) They say "1 size for pipes, 1-2 for pods" You can find them on many sites, I use Biker Bandit as they carry all the sizes even the in betweens. I checked the parts catalog for your bike; but it doesn't specify what your main jet size is. You'll have to check and go from there.

shaft
04-19-2011, 9:37 PM
Go up 1-2 jet sizes (3 at most) They say "1 size for pipes, 1-2 for pods" You can find them on many sites, I use Biker Bandit as they carry all the sizes even the in betweens. I checked the parts catalog for your bike; but it doesn't specify what your main jet size is. You'll have to check and go from there.

thanks sighless, i think the stock is 92.5 or 95.2 not sure, dont know about jets really.