PDA

View Full Version : Another Sporty "Build"

KevinBrennan
03-03-2014, 7:47 PM
Well I'm new here, so hello :cheers mate: I picked this 2000 Sportster 883 up about a week ago to get ready for the spring. Ill say right off the bat that this is not going to be anywhere near the caliber of most of the builds on here, but hopefully i can put something together that looks and rides pretty cool. It's not my first bike, and definitely not my first time wrenching, but it is my first Harley. I signed up on this forum basically because most of the builds seemed to be much more my "style" than what i was seeing on hdforums and the like. I hope i can share some knowledge, and learn a bunch from this site :kill:

Here's the pic from the craigslist ad. It has 5k miles, and has been sitting in a garage for most of the last 6 years. A little dirty but thats it :D

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/CC326D5D-F78B-4C80-A3D5-2F7652EA995A_zpshkkd3jy5.jpg

Me and the seller decided on a price of $2900 and i went ahead and trailered it home in this freezing cold weather we're having

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/350F93A3-6282-4A3B-A1C8-6958BEF1ADC4_zpsvirq3qe2.jpg

Not wasting any time i put my credit card to use and purchased some basics:
Clip on bars
Natural coke bottle grips
burly slammer kit
swingarm plate mount/tail light
DK customs tank liftt, coil relocation, ignition relocation

Im hoping this weekend i can get some work in on the bike. After i get this round of parts installed i need to decide on some other things like exhaust, color, seat, and a bunch of little odds and ends. Should have at least some pictures to update with by sunday :clap for you:

shiftace
03-04-2014, 2:14 PM
Sounds like an identity crisis already before part one shows up. Here goes. Tank lifts look retarded. Period. Makes ugly too big 3.3 gal sporty tanks look even worse. Now, clip ons with that big lifted tank..... ah man, the lines of the bike are completely gone now. Forward controls, clip ans, big lifted tank.. it keeps getting worse, and finally slammed shocks/forks, low bars, forwards, big ass tank. You're gonna be all over the map man. Pick a look, clip ons = cafe look. Slammed suspension = cruiser look. Lifted tank = chopper (?) Look. No offense, just trying to help a new owner out.

KevinBrennan
03-04-2014, 3:20 PM
Sounds like an identity crisis already before part one shows up. Here goes. Tank lifts look retarded. Period. Makes ugly too big 3.3 gal sporty tanks look even worse. Now, clip ons with that big lifted tank..... ah man, the lines of the bike are completely gone now. Forward controls, clip ans, big lifted tank.. it keeps getting worse, and finally slammed shocks/forks, low bars, forwards, big ass tank. You're gonna be all over the map man. Pick a look, clip ons = cafe look. Slammed suspension = cruiser look. Lifted tank = chopper (?) Look. No offense, just trying to help a new owner out.

Well like I said, just got the bike and haven't even touched it yet, nor is my list of parts/plans near complete. I'm on the search for stock mid controls. I'm also back and forth on swapping to a 2.4gal and/or nixxing the tank lift. I'm going to install the lift and see how I like it. It's my first Harley and bike this style so It will be a learning experience for sure, but I'm confident when it's finished it will flow very well. Other than that, I appreciate the criticism and will keep it in mind while working on the bike :)

Nosebleed
03-04-2014, 3:35 PM
Sportys are great, congrats on the new project. I'm not good at being brief, but I'll throw down a few thoughts:
1. Do what you want to do, no matter what the CC peanut gallery tells you. Lots of opinionated people here and it's good that we get to build and or customize our OWN bikes, the way we want them.
2. Buy parts and make mods "smartly" as much as you can, with a direction in mind. If you want the bike to look like a "street tracker", "old style chopper", "drag bike", or whatever, think about what makes that style what it is. Where is the focus, on looks, on performance, on comfort...?
3. Spend a lot of time looking at the Sportster threads on CC. THere are a million pictures and people working on Sportys of all generations and plenty of us have started right where you are. Lots of help to be had here from people and the threads that they create.
4. The following things are generally frowned upon on CC (although it's up to you to choose, just be ready): tank lifts, bolt on chrome pieces that are purely cosmetic, sprung solo seats on a bike with rear suspension, attaching giant ape hangers to Sportys, Vance and Hines exhaust, attaching bags or windshields to Sportys etc.

That's about it. Don't be afraid to reach out to people and ask questions, and keep a groovy attitude; don't let the dickheads get ya down. Sportys are awesome and easy to customize the way you want.

Cheers from Austin, TX
Nose

KevinBrennan
03-04-2014, 3:59 PM
Sportys are great, congrats on the new project. I'm not good at being brief, but I'll throw down a few thoughts:
1. Do what you want to do, no matter what the CC peanut gallery tells you. Lots of opinionated people here and it's good that we get to build and or customize our OWN bikes, the way we want them.
2. Buy parts and make mods "smartly" as much as you can, with a direction in mind. If you want the bike to look like a "street tracker", "old style chopper", "drag bike", or whatever, think about what makes that style what it is. Where is the focus, on looks, on performance, on comfort...?
3. Spend a lot of time looking at the Sportster threads on CC. THere are a million pictures and people working on Sportys of all generations and plenty of us have started right where you are. Lots of help to be had here from people and the threads that they create.
4. The following things are generally frowned upon on CC (although it's up to you to choose, just be ready): tank lifts, bolt on chrome pieces that are purely cosmetic, sprung solo seats on a bike with rear suspension, attaching giant ape hangers to Sportys, Vance and Hines exhaust, attaching bags or windshields to Sportys etc.

That's about it. Don't be afraid to reach out to people and ask questions, and keep a groovy attitude; don't let the dickheads get ya down. Sportys are awesome and easy to customize the way you want.

Cheers from Austin, TX
Nose

Thanks man, much appreciated. I've been on car forums long enough to know how to deal with dick heads haha. The only thing I can see that definitely wouldn't be liked by the masses on here is the tank lift. I'm not sold on it, but since I did order it I am at the very least going to install it and decide for myself. I'm truthfully pretty excited to get some updated pictures up and get some more plans set In stone so people can see the direction I'm visualizing.

Cheers :thumbup:

Nosebleed
03-04-2014, 4:24 PM
Yeah, the tank lift was popular for some reason around 2009 or so and ebay sold a ton of them. I think the thought around here was that it doesn't really serve any purpose and is a "short cut" way to achieve the "frisco" or "low tunnel" tank look without actually changing your tank. With your bike, being a carb bike, there are a ton of tank options out there for you. I would recommend changing over to a different tank, maybe smaller like you suggested but I don't know what your needs are for fuel capacity and whether youre just in love with the factory paint etc.

Anyway, just do it the way that you want. There will always be people who dig it and people who don't, people who have similar bikes themselves and people who claim that it's not this or that (a "chopper") based on what you do to it. Some people need to spend less time critiquing other people's bikes on the internet and more time riding, haha.

Enjoy!

KevinBrennan
03-04-2014, 5:26 PM
Yeah, the tank lift was popular for some reason around 2009 or so and ebay sold a ton of them. I think the thought around here was that it doesn't really serve any purpose and is a "short cut" way to achieve the "frisco" or "low tunnel" tank look without actually changing your tank. With your bike, being a carb bike, there are a ton of tank options out there for you. I would recommend changing over to a different tank, maybe smaller like you suggested but I don't know what your needs are for fuel capacity and whether youre just in love with the factory paint etc.

Anyway, just do it the way that you want. There will always be people who dig it and people who don't, people who have similar bikes themselves and people who claim that it's not this or that (a "chopper") based on what you do to it. Some people need to spend less time critiquing other people's bikes on the internet and more time riding, haha.

Enjoy!
Yea I've been checking out some smaller tanks, but am not sold on making the switch yet. Like i said, just wanna see the bike make a few steps further to see what type of tank fits the style the best. Im going to be painting the tank and fenders regardless so at that time i can make the final decision :cool:

sportysrock
03-04-2014, 6:16 PM
I really like that blue, but not the script "Sportster" as much, also wonder why they ruin a nice tank paint job by sticking 883 on it. HD knows one of the most common things people do is a big bore kit so they stick 883 on it? DOH!

-- Sent with :-)

Ramzilla
03-04-2014, 7:04 PM
Well first off congrats on your new bike and getting a good deal. And I must say no matter what is said do what you want and what makes you happy. It's your bike and you are the one who has to like it. That being said I have a 1.5" tank lift on my daily rider 02 just so I could hide all the ugly wiring and I love it but I don't call it a chopper either. Now on my Ironhead I have a true modded tank and lowered hardtail and it is a chopper in my eyes.

7and7is
03-04-2014, 8:33 PM
What ever you do keep us posted, as in lots of pics:D

KevinBrennan
03-05-2014, 2:47 PM
I really like that blue, but not the script "Sportster" as much, also wonder why they ruin a nice tank paint job by sticking 883 on it. HD knows one of the most common things people do is a big bore kit so they stick 883 on it? DOH!

Yea it kills me, its a sweet color but the tank is so lame with all the "badging". It's all good though i do plan on cutting the fenders up and repainting everything a different color anyway so it will look good eventually

KevinBrennan
03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Not too much to update, but i want to keep the thread going so here's where I'm at. I took a drive to Revzilla over the weekend to pick up a new helmet, was between the biltwell 3/4 or the new Bell 500. After trying on both, the Bell 500 was a clear choice and $119 later i was on my way home with this

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/FEA66924-1060-4269-89DB-20044EEDB68E_zpsmkau3ifu.jpg

I also wanted to start putting some of the parts on that I've been collecting, but living in an apartment with no garage is putting a damper on things. I did manage to ride over my buddy;s house and at least do some of the small stuff. Took all the "live to ride" junk off and replaced with oem style pieces. Removed the stock seat and replaced with a Sully's 2-up. Removed the tank bra, mirrors, and front turns.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/52991676-E889-48AB-A15A-7B17178E98F9_zpshcwwbdhy.jpg

KevinBrennan
03-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Also, on the search for some stock mid controls to buy or trade my fwd's for if anyone is aware of a decently priced set for sale.

sportysrock
03-12-2014, 3:26 PM
Also, on the search for some stock mid controls to buy or trade my fwd's for if anyone is aware of a decently priced set for sale.

Stock mids should be a dime a dozen out there. If not here, then XLForum I would think or EBay.

KevinBrennan
03-13-2014, 2:21 PM
Stock mids should be a dime a dozen out there. If not here, then XLForum I would think or EBay.

Well every set on ebay is like 180-200, was really hoping I could get a set for a little less. Sadly after a couple days of searching I found they're harder to come across than I thought. Ended up picking up a set off Ebay for 190 shipped, hopefully I can sell my forwards to recoup a few bucks.

EVODead
03-14-2014, 6:21 AM
I just picked up a set of mids on Ebay for $65. Keep looking! They pop up often.

KevinBrennan
03-22-2014, 9:10 PM
So, made a little bit of progress today. Took a ride to my parents house to use their garage/my tools and get a few things done. Removed the sissy bar, installed the burly slammer kit, and installed the stock mid controls i picked up. Its definitely starting to become a bike I'm actually enjoying. Cant wait to do some more work on it.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/393B1415-9245-4022-9671-FA4B126A0D6A_zpsfxrt6bit.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/kev66brennan/media/393B1415-9245-4022-9671-FA4B126A0D6A_zpsfxrt6bit.jpg.html)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/5EB86A19-1354-45E7-8239-5AE717993FFF_zpsybdiolvn.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/kev66brennan/media/5EB86A19-1354-45E7-8239-5AE717993FFF_zpsybdiolvn.jpg.html)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/B1B8DA06-039C-4349-A4F1-6A574EAD5CDC_zpsqgiogddk.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/kev66brennan/media/B1B8DA06-039C-4349-A4F1-6A574EAD5CDC_zpsqgiogddk.jpg.html)

Next up is doing the coil relocation, ignition relocation, and installing the handlebars. Also have to clean up some wiring and get rid of the stock hand controls and get that all situated. Also want to chop the fenders a little bit and install my new tail light. Just have to figure out a plate mount.

metalheart28
03-22-2014, 11:07 PM
nice ride man keep the pics comin! I've got a 94 sportster I'm wanting to do some work to but I've gotta finish the XS project first

deathmetaldan
03-23-2014, 4:46 AM
i am guessing you are in/around the philadelphia area. Make sure you check out the gathering of the nortons next month.... more than just nortons show up and most of them look great.

KevinBrennan
03-23-2014, 6:33 AM
Yea im in the philadelphia area, I live in West Chester. I just looked up the Gathering of The Nortons….ill have to see if i can get some people to cruise up there with me, sounds like a cool show.

Cree
03-23-2014, 7:46 AM
Yea it kills me, its a sweet color but the tank is so lame with all the "badging". It's all good though i do plan on cutting the fenders up and repainting everything a different color anyway so it will look good eventually

If you bob the rear fender, consider making a cardboard template to duplicate the slight curve from the end of stock fender in your cut, for a finished appearance.

KevinBrennan
03-23-2014, 8:25 AM
If you bob the rear fender, consider making a cardboard template to duplicate the slight curve from the end of stock fender in your cut, for a finished appearance.

Hmm thanks man that's a good idea

deathmetaldan
03-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Yea im in the philadelphia area, I live in West Chester. I just looked up the Gathering of The Nortons….ill have to see if i can get some people to cruise up there with me, sounds like a cool show.

sorry, i didnt post just to promote the event.... i had intentions of telling you that your bike looks awesome but i must have forgot it some how.

Your bike looks awesome, sometimes its hard to find the path you want to take with styling and even when you do everybody will have something bad to say about it no matter what you do.

if you go to the show, get there early and be ready to laugh your ass off.... the first time i went i watched a guy drop a brand new ducatti while trying to back it up and then watched another guy ask a stranger for help as to why his bike wouldnt start (it was in gear).

KevinBrennan
03-24-2014, 3:54 PM
sorry, i didnt post just to promote the event.... i had intentions of telling you that your bike looks awesome but i must have forgot it some how.

Your bike looks awesome, sometimes its hard to find the path you want to take with styling and even when you do everybody will have something bad to say about it no matter what you do.

if you go to the show, get there early and be ready to laugh your ass off.... the first time i went i watched a guy drop a brand new ducatti while trying to back it up and then watched another guy ask a stranger for help as to why his bike wouldnt start (it was in gear).

Thank you sir, I'm hoping i can put something together that rides and looks as good as i have planned :D Just looking to have some fun here. I definitely want to make it to the show too, sounds like a good time lol

KevinBrennan
04-19-2014, 4:37 PM
Trying not to fall off the face of the earth with updates here. Made some more progress on the bike today. Got my handlebars on, coil relocation, started the ignition relocation, tank lift ( I know i know, no one likes tank lifts), finally squared away my front forks and changed the fork oil. I ran into a few problems with the throttle and hand control/headlight wiring though. Im hoping to get the handlebars down to nothing but turn signals, and just wiring it up for no kill switch, horn, highs, or starter button (running a push button on the solenoid), but the wiring is all intermingled more than i thought :( gonna need some time to figure it out. As far as the throttle goes, the cheap ebay one i ordered has threaded holes for the throttle cables while my stock one has little c -lips that hold the cables in so i gotta figure out whats up with that. I know the handle bars may not be everyones style, but damm, just sitting on the bike moving it around and i can't wait to get on some twisties ;D Well, heres some pics

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/9F0A6B8C-647A-4F27-A40D-D796B03DE1BE_zpsval8nj1n.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/51E30D7C-13B0-4986-9A2C-F778F59C0B52_zpsybyjmeud.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/A93829C6-D934-4316-93E4-2AC2D6524DD2_zps4xmfrhcf.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/3E0F0FDC-9004-4BE4-9CA9-E283D31D6E89_zpspsqqnhaj.jpg

And heres one to show the riding position now that i have miss and the clip ons.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/C8596B5C-6F8A-4CB6-A1C9-512B4AB468F3_zps5adwoahp.jpg

So next on the list:

Powdercoat wheels, and pretty much everything metal on the bike black
Cut front and rear fenders
paint tins (Doing brickyard red from a nissan 350z)
Finish cleaning up the wiring

Elias
04-19-2014, 8:44 PM
its starting to come along nicely, keep us updated and never let other people tell you how to build your bike based on whats "cool". i have a tank lift on my o1 that ispent about 4 hours on each side making and i have an aftermarket sportster tank to go with them yet i get complements all the time on my tank lift. if you like it do it. if you want a solo spring seat swing arm huge headlight and chrome the entire bike fucking do it. new faces around hbere are good. you can only see so many hard tail lace paint builds before you stop reading them.

21guns
04-20-2014, 3:30 AM
I dig it dude. Plain and simple awesome.

KevinBrennan
04-20-2014, 7:00 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate it :D

DannySLC
04-20-2014, 9:01 PM
I put heavy fork oil in my old sporty and hated it. It's a super stiff ride so be careful getting used to it.

KevinBrennan
04-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I put heavy fork oil in my old sporty and hated it. It's a super stiff ride so be careful getting used to it.

Im trying to see how stiff i can get it. I guess I'm just not use to the soft ride of a harley, but ever since i put the 10.5" burly shocks in the rear, the front just feels sooo soft. Im hoping now with the progressive springs and heavy fork oil it will give me the feel I'm looking for.

KevinBrennan
04-27-2014, 9:08 AM
No pictures but i got some work done yesterday. Finished up most of the wiring on the front end; wired for no kill switch, headlight always on low, no horn, relocated start button, and added a nice little turn signal switch i wired through the bars. I also removed the reflectors off the forks and rear fenders and finalized tucking all the wires and extending some for the coil. Everything is soldered and heat shrinked and taped up nicely :D I got to take it for a test ride and it feels like a whole new bike. Hopefully one night this week i can clean up the rear of the bike by making a plate/tail light mount, removing the stock turns, and maybe finally chopping the fenders up.

After all this is done is time for powder coating, paint and tires! Gotta get some money together for all that though :/

EDIT: Found a pic mid-work this week. This is before i finished up the front wiring as you can see its all stuffed in the light bucket. As you can see the front of the bike is coming together, but the rear is still stock and lame

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/1E3A6188-9DBC-4A8A-9DFD-2A966B03A14E_zpsh2mwdaj6.jpg

Also threw a sticker on the lid from my buddy's apparel/accessory company, check them out for some sweet stuff. www.counterkultur.com

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/26F4AB76-FF3A-455E-AF5B-BD6C7F28A33A_zps0s24ldwq.jpg

KevinBrennan
05-10-2014, 2:50 PM
Another little update: Chopped the fenders, really happy how they came out. I also made a swingarm plate mount and installed my led tail you can see just above the plate. Now I really wanna get it painted since my fender paint is now all messed up :/

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/BFCC51C5-1AE0-49B8-AD6A-4DEC2D4BAEBB_zpsyvccmqh1.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/kev66brennan/285057A3-7333-40CA-B661-005730A25F24_zpsieopup7f.jpg

nofendertom
05-12-2014, 10:47 AM
KevinBrennan---don't know if it is in the plan - but getting rid of the headlight eyebrow might help clean up the front end

jasonknezo
05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Cool build. I'm in Downingtown right off west chester road.

shiftace
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Maybe chop up that eyebrow a little and mount it under the top tree would unclutter that front a little more. Otherwise looking good.

SnakeArms
06-05-2014, 7:30 PM
I'd definitely swap out that tank. Sitting that low in the front, get something high tunneled. It will sit lower and you wont sacrifice much in capacity. Trimming the headlight eyebrow is pretty easy and looks boss. Flip it over and look at the skeleton, then trim.

KevinBrennan
07-27-2014, 3:18 PM
Sorry for a lack of updates, been doing a little riding but thats about it. Actually selling the bike now, its on ebay if anyones interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291202000072