PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Network > Beach Haven NJ

liquidlife1991
02-28-2014, 7:16 PM
so guys I've been here a little bit and I feel like I need to start networking and putting myself out there. I'm trying to find places I can go and things I can do to really immerse myself in custom bike building. It's cold and miserable in PA and the chop scene here is virtually absent (@ least to me). what did you guys do to get involved? are there apprenticeships out there still? I'm trying to spread my wings. all guidance and info is greatly appreciated. looking forward to hearing from you peeps

RetroRob
02-28-2014, 8:55 PM
Where are u in Pa. ?
Try the broledex . I'm in Gettysburg and have been looking for fellow wrenchers and riders for a couple years.

ARBY
02-28-2014, 9:17 PM
When I was about 15 I started hanging around a bike shop asking questions until they got tired of me and told me to get a bike and do something with it instead of just talking about it. So I did. I took all the money I had ($350) and bought a '51 Panhead . Unfortunately it was all in pieces but with a little help, a lot more questions and some more money I got it back together. The shop owner did the motor for me and he never made me pay him he just told me to keep beer in the fridge. A few months later somebody killed the guy, the shop closed and I figured I was paid up.

So, lets see some pics of your bike.

liquidlife1991
03-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Where are u in Pa. ?
Try the broledex . I'm in Gettysburg and have been looking for fellow wrenchers and riders for a couple years.

yea I posted in the Broledex. I'm up near Scranton. not too many peeps here locally. also posted asking about shops around here in the Broledex and no luck yet.

Arby, thts unfortunate about your mentor I guess you could call. but there aren't any places I can go and bug guys about choppers. as I mentioned, no ones gotten back to me on the Bro

billyolds
03-03-2014, 5:11 PM
yea I posted in the Broledex. I'm up near Scranton. not too many peeps here locally. also posted asking about shops around here in the Broledex and no luck yet.

Arby, thts unfortunate about your mentor I guess you could call. but there aren't any places I can go and bug guys about choppers. as I mentioned, no ones gotten back to me on the Bro

Take this with a grain of salt, Dont be such a pussy, you have the internet, the worlds biggest shit talking garage ever. Everything you need to know is on here. As far as people around, start riding a bike that gets noticed. Travel to events. get on instagram. before you know it youll have created your own little crew. If all else fails move to cali, at least the weather will be better

904Punk
03-03-2014, 5:16 PM
Events is a great suggestion, I've met so many people just going to events. Also ride up to your local biker bar, if you've never gone to a bar alone and met people you'd be surprised how easy it is. Just show up, check out people's rides, shoot some pool and you'll eventually make great friends and live happily ever after...

SyndicateChoppers
03-03-2014, 7:37 PM
yeah there are plenty of east coast events you just have to be willing to get out and ride to them and maybe at first make a trip or two by yourself till you meet some new friends,

My shop, the lowside magazine crew, 47 industries, and a bunch of other guys are all on the east coast spread from NY down to MD, and there are plenty of events to do during the season, some which are hosted by any of one us at any given time and some that are hosted by a lot of other groups of guys into vintage bikes etc.

Like some of the others mentioned use the internet to your advantage get on Instagram and hunt around for some events,
Hell you just missed the unfinished bike show at Mikes shop at 47 Industries in NJ which always gets a good turn out and did not dissapoint this year as well.

Sometimes you just have to travel a little out of your comfort zone to find some like minded people and dont be shy

liquidlife1991
03-03-2014, 8:00 PM
well then, my time of resisting the social media movement has come to an end. I've heard Instagram mentioned enough now that I'd be a fool not to join. as far as events, I went to my first swap meet in Jersey last Sunday and now I want to go to more, see more, meet more. as far as being a pussy, good call. thts just the kick in the ass I need to get a move on. thanks fellas. I really appreciate it

Gnarly
03-03-2014, 9:47 PM
Check me out in instagram, ill follow ya back. Rule_so_hard

Allen
03-03-2014, 9:48 PM
Well, if you've got the time and the desire... I'll just throw out some ramble;

Go through the brolodex (again), and members by state/area (member profiles) this time, search user profiles who have BLOGS or webpages attached to their profiles. Follow those and keep tabs on local shows, parties, etc. Where there's bikes, there's builders somewhere down that progression... The Chop Cult is not the entire "enterweeb" either... although some here might not know any different.

Search for bars that are friendly to your interests. It's not ever bar owners dream to have a bike night at their establishment, but if you present it and conduct it accordingly (small at first and let it grow naturally) you might actually create something cool and thus, you open the doors for others instead of looking for doors to open for you.

Your first bike night could be nothing more than asking permission and showing up on two wheels and having the drunk at the stool take your solo picture which you post on IG or whatever... on the Chop Cult for crimony sakes... even if we make fun of your Uno-Bike-Night, you'll attract attention of those who are also "seeking" more. Doesn't work out there? Change locations? As many times as necessary... stagnate ponds will never produce potable water. You could blog about the Uno-Bike-Night Tour for a year at 24 different locations (once every two weeks) ha ha!

There's so many avenues of "getting involved" i.e. DIY that really you just gotta jump in cause once you do, then the only thing that will put the breaks on your "life" will be yourself...

govmule84
03-04-2014, 5:12 AM
yeah there are plenty of east coast events you just have to be willing to get out and ride to them and maybe at first make a trip or two by yourself till you meet some new friends,

My shop, the lowside magazine crew, 47 industries, and a bunch of other guys are all on the east coast spread from NY down to MD, and there are plenty of events to do during the season, some which are hosted by any of one us at any given time and some that are hosted by a lot of other groups of guys into vintage bikes etc.

Like some of the others mentioned use the internet to your advantage get on Instagram and hunt around for some events,
Hell you just missed the unfinished bike show at Mikes shop at 47 Industries in NJ which always gets a good turn out and did not dissapoint this year as well.

Sometimes you just have to travel a little out of your comfort zone to find some like minded people and dont be shy

I would have posted nearly this exact same thing. You have a vibrant chopper scene near you. One of my buddies rolls around Pottsville, and another couple of cats who I am close with just opened a shop in Pottstown. There's chopper guys everywhere, man. Fuck, I got a friend in Hawaii I never met but on the internet - and he even has some dudes near him that he hangs out with. I work in the industry - one of my colleagues is an owner of Show Class Magazine. You're talking about 'networking', and making this all formal, but it doesn't have to be. Listen to Arby, go hang out at the bike shop or at someone's garage. You build your list of friends slowly I think; it doesn't all happen at once.

We hit swaps all summer long - they're a great way to meet people and get parts .(Choppers do not get built without swap meets; you'd go broke trying to buy all your shit new.) We also do LOTS of high-mileage riding.

So, here's my invite: You're about an hour from me - I am in Macungie. This weekend, my Shovel is getting a fresh set of pipes, and my dualie needs an oil change. My pick-'em-up truck may be getting a u-joint. (Not a bike, but still, they go hand-in-hand), and I think a friend may be bringing his Shovel by to start tearing it down. He's never been into one, so we should have a little range of experience levels in the shop. I'm certainly no Jedi fuckin' master - just another guy trying to figure shit out like you.

If you want to come down and help/watch/whatever, feel free to do so. I can even round up some of the other mooks I roll around with if you want to hang out. Bring beer and don't be a dick, and you should walk away with at least some new friends and the beginnings of a chopper community. Best case scenario is that you scam some parts off us, too.

Ball's in your court.

liquidlife1991
03-04-2014, 6:06 AM
Check me out in instagram, ill follow ya back. Rule_so_hard

done

fourspeed
03-04-2014, 8:41 AM
I would have posted nearly this exact same thing. You have a vibrant chopper scene near you. One of my buddies rolls around Pottsville, and another couple of cats who I am close with just opened a shop in Pottstown. There's chopper guys everywhere, man. Fuck, I got a friend in Hawaii I never met but on the internet - and he even has some dudes near him that he hangs out with. I work in the industry - one of my colleagues is an owner of Show Class Magazine. You're talking about 'networking', and making this all formal, but it doesn't have to be. Listen to Arby, go hang out at the bike shop or at someone's garage. You build your list of friends slowly I think; it doesn't all happen at once.

We hit swaps all summer long - they're a great way to meet people and get parts .(Choppers do not get built without swap meets; you'd go broke trying to buy all your shit new.) We also do LOTS of high-mileage riding.

So, here's my invite: You're about an hour from me - I am in Macungie. This weekend, my Shovel is getting a fresh set of pipes, and my dualie needs an oil change. My pick-'em-up truck may be getting a u-joint. (Not a bike, but still, they go hand-in-hand), and I think a friend may be bringing his Shovel by to start tearing it down. He's never been into one, so we should have a little range of experience levels in the shop. I'm certainly no Jedi fuckin' master - just another guy trying to figure shit out like you.

If you want to come down and help/watch/whatever, feel free to do so. I can even round up some of the other mooks I roll around with if you want to hang out. Bring beer and don't be a dick, and you should walk away with at least some new friends and the beginnings of a chopper community. Best case scenario is that you scam some parts off us, too.

Ball's in your court.
pm'ed

joe78
03-04-2014, 8:48 AM
So are in pa or beach haven? There are a lot of people on here from the jersey coast . The people I ride and wrench with I'm met on this site 4 yrs ago . I was in the same boat you were in . Really good events around , ride to skate in Philly May, strange days in mt Vernon nj July and the Brooklyn invitational ny sept are a few. Just get out there ! I'm in ocean gate

liquidlife1991
03-04-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm in PA for school but I'm from jersey. I'm headin home Sunday for break. let's meet up. I'm trying to work on my bike and get some things done.

Sal
03-04-2014, 4:17 PM
Most shows will be south of here, Baltimore has a scene going on,always had. Where I got bit, first bke and all while in the Coast Guard there, aside frome a few show in the Catskills, or hanging ia a club not happenin around here Iam lookin for shop space, that seems like a project, probably end up in Toms River

Leiffireeater80
03-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Swing down to Bloomsburg PA and check out Bill's Old Bike Barn and American Cycle Fabrication. Not far at all from Scranton and two world class shops. The riding off 487 is awesome also. There's stuff out there just need to dig.

Jetblack
03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Events is a great suggestion, I've met so many people just going to events. Also ride up to your local biker bar, if you've never gone to a bar alone and met people you'd be surprised how easy it is. Just show up, check out people's rides, shoot some pool and you'll eventually make great friends and live happily ever after...

Until they move to Texas... at least we'll always have the Beibs man... we'll always... have the Beibs.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130814071428/mlp/es/images/thumb/b/b9/Trixie_sad.png/500px-Trixie_sad.png

Though, I am planning to ride through Texas this summer at some point, come hell or high water.

ScooterTrash48
03-06-2014, 8:59 AM
I'm in south jersey, particularly the suburbs of Atlantic City where all the RUBs like to hang out. I've never seen any real chops, just those bloated fat tire land yacht things. Our bike night is even worse. Again more RUBs jizzin over each other's baggers with big stogies in their mouth. Might as well have laffing devils patches on. Man this area sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk