PDA

View Full Version : 1200s vs 1200 engine - Thoughts? Opinions?

rooster52478
02-26-2014, 9:12 PM
Who here has experience with and/or ridden both bikes, the 1200 vs the Sport?

Is the 1200s engine noticeably stronger/faster than the regular 1200 stock vs stock? Is it just the cams, dual plug heads, and ignition that is different?

I found a Sport that I can get a good deal on and am wondering if it's worth the trouble of picking it up and selling my current bike. Mine already has the Sport shocks and is a set of Speed Merchant fork adjusters and a fork leg away from dual disc so that stuff doesn't concern me between the two bikes.

Help me decide fellas.

rooster52478
02-26-2014, 9:14 PM
Mine is a well kept 2002 and the Sport is a 2000 which looks to have been well kept and owned by an older guy. Just by looking at the windshield and the accessories.

xllance
02-26-2014, 9:24 PM
I've had two 'S' Sportsters and both of them were a good bit stronger than a standard 1200. What are your plans for the bike if you snatch it up ? The difference is all that you mentioned and the 'S' also has better heads and higher compression. Some of those things depend on what year model you have too.

rooster52478
02-26-2014, 9:34 PM
I've had two 'S' Sportsters and both of them were a good bit stronger than a standard 1200. What are your plans for the bike if you snatch it up ? The difference is all that you mentioned and the 'S' also has better heads and higher compression. Some of those things depend on what year model you have too.

I figured there was more to it than I could remember. Thanks.

My plan would be to put taller risers on it, moto bars, paint the mags, and put a peanut tank on it. Put in a better clutch and stronger spring and then ride it fast on curvy roads, do wheelies, and burnouts.

For the price I'd be getting it at I'd come out ahead selling my bike. I just really detest selling vehicles and dealing with the locals. Who knows, if enough people annoy me trying to trade for trailers or 4 wheelers I might just keep it and hard tail it.

xllance
02-26-2014, 10:02 PM
I figured there was more to it than I could remember. Thanks.

My plan would be to put taller risers on it, moto bars, paint the mags, and put a peanut tank on it. Put in a better clutch and stronger spring and then ride it fast on curvy roads, do wheelies, and burnouts.

For the price I'd be getting it at I'd come out ahead selling my bike. I just really detest selling vehicles and dealing with the locals. Who knows, if enough people annoy me trying to trade for trailers or 4 wheelers I might just keep it and hard tail it.

Sounds like a plan for the 'S'!! Whatever you do, good luck. I love the 02' I have now and my plans are about par with what you describe. I already have the peanut tank, just needs paint.

Gadsdenguy
02-27-2014, 6:27 AM
Who here has experience with and/or ridden both bikes, the 1200 vs the Sport?

Is the 1200s engine noticeably stronger/faster than the regular 1200 stock vs stock? Is it just the cams, dual plug heads, and ignition that is different?

I found a Sport that I can get a good deal on and am wondering if it's worth the trouble of picking it up and selling my current bike. Mine already has the Sport shocks and is a set of Speed Merchant fork adjusters and a fork leg away from dual disc so that stuff doesn't concern me between the two bikes.

Help me decide fellas.

I have a '96S.
The '96 and '97 S was basically a stock Sportster motor. In '98 to the last year run, '03, they went to a dual spark plug, hotter cams motor and different ignition module.
Never rode a later model S, but I would think they turn out more ponies and torque.

BrokenSprocketGarage
02-27-2014, 6:47 AM
Use to work at a dealer, did all the initial service and set up on new bikes. So I did a lot of 1200's and Sport models. Test rode everyone, and the 1200S is faster, better top end power, I think higher rev limit, better suspension, stickier tires, more ground clearance, tachometer, different seat. That is all the differences I remember plus the engine mods already mentioned. Not a hole lot of extra thrust, but enough to feel in the seat of the pants dyno.

Saltytonk
02-27-2014, 7:36 AM
I would do it in heartbeat. You wont be disappointed.

Blackbetty
02-27-2014, 3:56 PM
The "S" model puts out 3 horsepower more than a stock 1200, I doubt you'd feel any major difference.

I think the S model was primarily focused around handling via cartridge shocks and dual disk front brake set up, and the 19/18 mags.

Definitely cooler than a stock 1200 though....the dual plug heads are sick.

rooster52478
02-27-2014, 6:23 PM
Well I went and checked it out today. It was at an RV dealer and the first Harley this guy has had on his lot. He didn't know anything about the S being different than a regular XL. Looked it over, heard it run (sounded good), and made a real good deal on it on my end depending on how the test ride went.

As soon as I got out on the street I could just feel this thing had issues. Got it on a main road, gave it hell, and it was just a dog. Something was wrong with it. I don't know what really but man was it down on power. My V6 Dodge Nitro I haul my kid around in would have beat it in a race. I had to take it back and tell the guy what was up. He was super bummed because I guess he had no idea.

Oh well, sucks for him. I'm on the hunt again I guess.

TwoLaneFever
02-27-2014, 7:06 PM
use the being" a dog issue "to your advantage and get it even cheaper,,,aren't all used bikes a shot in the dark?if not too beat ,might be worth it ,,,roll en dice you know,,,think if you want it?might be a set of pugs or few parts, will make it run like a top, I would like to get my mits on a evo 1200 sporty ,,but the iron will have to do ,,,

xllance
02-27-2014, 7:21 PM
use the being" a dog issue "to your advantage and get it even cheaper,,,aren't all used bikes a shot in the dark?if not too beat ,might be worth it ,,,roll en dice you know,,,

Exactly. The latest one I have had carb issues when you cracked the throttle it would stumble. But it idled perfectly and started right up. Engine sounded great till you moved the grip. I knew it was only carb trouble so I used that to bring it down $500.00. Probably should've got more off but I REALLY wanted another S !

xllance
02-27-2014, 7:35 PM
The "S" model puts out 3 horsepower more than a stock 1200, I doubt you'd feel any major difference.

I think the S model was primarily focused around handling via cartridge shocks and dual disk front brake set up, and the 19/18 mags.

Definitely cooler than a stock 1200 though....the dual plug heads are sick.

Maybe a good point here. Both of the ones I have experience with had the 'stage 1 or 2.3' or whatever. But my seat -of-the-pants dyno told me there was tons more tourque there compared to a basic 1200. I think when you breathe on the ''S" models they wake right the hell up. The grin factor is signifigant.

rooster52478
02-27-2014, 9:25 PM
I can't run the risk of running into a money pit. I need it to be a reliable daily rider from the get go. I use a bike as my main transportation. I'd say 75-80% of the year I'm on it. Especially now that it'll be getting warmer I've got places to go that are far away.

I really don't think I could milk that much more out of the guy and it very well could be something simple but it sure didn't seem like it. I don't want to find out the hard way.

Like I said before I've got a perfectly reliable bike as is. I was just going to get this if all was well and then go through the trouble of selling my current bike. That plus the added headache of fixing the S is just too much of a headache.

Blackbetty
02-28-2014, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't give up on it so fast.....what's he asking and how many miles?

FWIW, when I bought mine it had under 5K miles, but the accelerator pump in the CV carb had dried out and cracked. It ran like a dog too, but now it fuckin flies after a cheap CV rebuild kit. I added a brass fuel inlet and a new slide drilled to 7/64".

I set the air screw to 2.5 turns, stock jetting, free flow air cleaner and straight pipes. After I replaced the top end gaskets and rings, the bike fired up first shot. Didn't even need to adjust the air screw, and this thing fucking HAULS, and the plugs look great.

rooster52478
02-28-2014, 7:54 PM
Here it is. Click the link for more pics if you want. If anybody else wants it you can talk him down to at least $2400.

http://www.totalwebmanager.com/TWM/Images/1185/61195/Medium/3201457163156418.jpg

http://www.pro-motionmotorsports.com/Vehicle/location-Springfield-Missouri-vehiclesforsale/61195/2000-Harley-Davidson-Sportster.aspx