PDA

View Full Version : 06 sporty clutch

ScooterTrash48
02-20-2014, 8:42 PM
Hey guys, got a quick question. My 06 clutch is acting up. 4th to 5th gear at high speed the clutch just slips. I put a barnett extra plate kit in it at the end of last season. I know clutch is adjusted right, I've checked it 3 times. It started life as a 883 and its got a 1250 kit on it now. Could the diaphragm spring be letting go with the centrifugal forces? Idk I'm stumped.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dirtygrotonscoundrel
02-20-2014, 9:02 PM
I had the same problem on my 06 about a year ago. What happened was water was getting into the clutch by dripping down the cable, diluting the oil and causing the plates to score the basket, making them stick, and then not disengage all the way. Not saying this is your problem, but definitely a possibility.

Cree
02-22-2014, 11:18 AM
What did you change from last time it worked well? Had you tried to cure a pre-existing problem with the 9-plate kit? Bite the bullet, take it apart again and inspect stuff. Put plates on a glass surface and see if any are warped only slightly. Condition of fibers and pressure plate--did you pre-soak fibers before install? Are they subsequently glazed and need a scuff, clean with acetone and re-soak? Reinstall the stock diaphragm in case the new one gives uneven pressure. (Often the heavier diaphragm is unnecessary with the extra plates and just increases lever effort.) Is the clutch hub wobbly--bearing issue? Reassemble observantly, getting the plate stack order right, fill with OEM lubricant and road test. At least you'll baseline that the clutch pack is OK.

BrokenSprocketGarage
02-22-2014, 2:09 PM
Do NOT use OEM Formula Plus, it sucks. Barnett even says not to use it in their install instructions. You need a heavier clutch diaphram spring. In '06 the MoCo went to a lightweight (thinner) spring to reduce the lever effort. Many options out there for heavier clutch springs including HD(any year previous to '06 is thicker/more pressure), Sceamin' Eagle, Barnett, etc...
As always a clutch cable lube, free play adjust and throwout bearing adjust are critical.

ScooterTrash48
02-23-2014, 9:28 AM
Cree, I'm suspecting that I'm doing this adjustment business wrong. When I bought the bike it was good. I put about 3k miles on it over the summer, and toward the end of summer it started acting up. It was adjusted again and shortly it started acting up again. I figured the stock clutch wasn't strong enough to hold the power. It started life as an 883 and it has the 1250 kit, mild headwork and some bumpy cams. Not sure the make and model of cams, but they're definitely not stock. So I got rid of the stock clutch and rivet plate and installed the barnett kit. Followed all instructions to a t. Soaked plates and checked basket and hub for scoring and all that jazz. Everything checked out good. Finished up the job, adjusted clutch and rode for maybe 200 miles. Then it started again. Re adjusted clutch and was fine for another couple hundred miles. I rode it Thursday and now it's acting up again 4th and 5th gear at high rpm it just let's go. I ordered the barnett diaphragm spring Friday night. I'm just hoping the spring is weak and not holding up to the power I'm putting through it. I used drag specialties fluid which said specifically designed for sportster. Idk. It's pissing me off!

BrokenSprocketGarage
02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Drag Specialties sport trans oil is what I use for all my service work, both XL and BT. Never had an oil related problem yet.
A slippage in higher gears and RPM's indicates too little spring pressure. You def. need more spring pressure than that lightweight HD 883 spring has.
Proper adjustment is : collapse cable adjuster, loosen the clutch adjuster on the hub, spray lube into cable with a cable luber tool, tighten clutch adjuster until it just touches, then back out 1/4 turn, then tighten cable free play to about 1/8" at lever. this is the same as the factory procedure as outlined in your FSM.

ScooterTrash48
02-23-2014, 11:53 AM
That's how I've been doing it daroberts.

TwoSheds
02-24-2014, 1:25 PM
late model sportsters have different diaphragm springs for 883 vs 1200. If you didn't change the spring when it was converted, it will slip. Replace with heavy duty spring like you ordered and adjust. Problem gone.

ScooterTrash48
02-24-2014, 1:32 PM
I'm hoping!

Cree
02-24-2014, 4:11 PM
Cree, I'm suspecting that I'm doing this adjustment business wrong. When I bought the bike it was good. I put about 3k miles on it over the summer, and toward the end of summer it started acting up. It was adjusted again and shortly it started acting up again. I figured the stock clutch wasn't strong enough to hold the power. It started life as an 883 and it has the 1250 kit, mild headwork and some bumpy cams. Not sure the make and model of cams, but they're definitely not stock. So I got rid of the stock clutch and rivet plate and installed the barnett kit. Followed all instructions to a t. Soaked plates and checked basket and hub for scoring and all that jazz. Everything checked out good. Finished up the job, adjusted clutch and rode for maybe 200 miles. Then it started again. Re adjusted clutch and was fine for another couple hundred miles. I rode it Thursday and now it's acting up again 4th and 5th gear at high rpm it just let's go. I ordered the barnett diaphragm spring Friday night. I'm just hoping the spring is weak and not holding up to the power I'm putting through it. I used drag specialties fluid which said specifically designed for sportster. Idk. It's pissing me off!

Sorry, I can't offer why it would do it with both plate sets. Where's the cable free play when it starts acting up--gone tight? When you readjust, has the adjuster screw moved--threads good? How's the pressure plate and release bearing? Are the steel plates toast? (My earlier comment on spring was based on running kevlar 9-plate kits in a 88-in. drag bike (120 rwhp, low 10's). I did use Spectro chain case lube. I found the heavy spring too abrupt, so experimenting tossed in the stock spring and it never pulled through the clutch at the torque peak, 4th or 5th gear--plus innumerable 4th-gear (1:1) dyno pulls--others' experience may differ). If the heavy spring doesn't cure it, you will still be hunting, so look around again good while in there this time. I did find the stack height with the plate kit differed in caliper so tweak the adjustment as needed. Good luck and tell us all what you found.