PDA

View Full Version : honda shadow ignitors...

commit2quit
02-17-2014, 6:17 PM
does anyone know if the ignitor boxes on the early to mid 80s shadows are interchangeable,like between 500s-700s-750s? or if theres even a way to bypass them?i have an 84 shadow 700 that is only running on the front cylinder and traced it all back to the ignitor box for the rear cylinder and it gives a really faint weak spark..

Jetblack
02-18-2014, 5:01 AM
Your best best is going to be checking the part numbers against other models at a place like http://www.cmsnl.com/

other ignitors should work fine, with work... the only issue is the pinouts for the terminals maybe different, if you can find the pinout for your bikes ignitor and the pinout for the ignitor you plan on using then you can swap the wires around on the connector so they route properly... if unsure if the IC connector block swaps... it's a good idea to try and get the connector for the new ignitor as well, then remove all the wires from the stock connector and pop them into the new one using the pin out as a guide. Make sure to tape label the wires and know that ANSI electrical drawing pin outs start on the IC itself NOT the connector... left side top wire across the top then stop go back and down to the second row then across, but the diagram should have a key if it was not drawn to ANSI electrical standards... this may seem like jibberish now, but once you are in it with the sleeves rolled up it will become clear.

binder56jd
02-18-2014, 11:38 AM
no, they are not interchangeable--very much model and year specific--best bets are ebay or a guy over in europe makes them new--i have lost his link, but will search for it--good rep and fair price, exchange rate made them too much for me when i was looking

binder56jd
02-18-2014, 11:44 AM
http://www.ignitech.cz/en/kontakt

commit2quit
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM
http://www.ignitech.cz/en/kontakt

ah,that website seems alittle confusing...do you remember what the ignitors were from the guy in the uk by any chance?if its not much more than the used ones that seems like a good idea since they are brand new and not a used gamble

binder56jd
02-22-2014, 7:32 AM
he will need a picture of the connectors and the specs of your scoot-- the prices he gave me are now over 2 years past--send him a email and he will 'splain it to you--they will/would be new and use state of the art components---he does english really well :cheersmate:

Jetblack
02-22-2014, 7:56 AM
no, they are not interchangeable--very much model and year specific--best bets are ebay or a guy over in europe makes them new--i have lost his link, but will search for it--good rep and fair price, exchange rate made them too much for me when i was looking

Just want to clarify, they ALL are interchangeable, if you can find the pin outs and put the wires in the connector where they belong.

binder56jd
02-23-2014, 2:09 PM
Just want to clarify, they ALL are interchangeable, if you can find the pin outs and put the wires in the connector where they belong.

cool--got the recipe???? :cheersmate:

Jetblack
02-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Yeah baby, most of the shit in an igniton unit is useless, the one important circuit is just electronic ignition that sends a signal to fire the plugs timed from the pick up coils. The rest is mainly bloat meant to lock you out from ignition if certain requirements are not met, or throw a light on your dash... the ignition itself is pretty much the same damn circuit in ever single bike, if not then it's a resistor difference... this can typically be ignored, because who gives a fuck if you're scrambling the car radio next to you? The UI compliance police aren't going to come after you or your blender.

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

The pin out will typically look like the above on the ignition unit if you find the diagram, the tricky business is when looking at the connector, you'll swear the Red wire for number 1 goes in the top left hand side of the connector, when it actually would go in the top right hand side... because the pin out is off the unit not the connector.

To get a proper pin out is kinda difficult, usually they are found in service manuals, separate from wiring diagrams, but if the wiring diagram was drawn to standards... the first wire from the top going into the ignition unit or first wire on the left would be number 1 on the unit pin out, depending on orientation drawn in the diagram... horizontal or vertical. Looking at your stock connector will knock one out without an issue at all.

Once you can locate the number 1 wire the rest falls into place, you do this on both diagrams... you see where number 1 wire is going on diagram one, lets say on stock number 1 wire is Red going to the ignition switch, and on the unit you wanna use diagram number 1 is Blue and going to a dash warning light... well you know that shit isn't the same.

So you map both out, and depending on the type of connector you bend a little tab and slide the wire out, bend the little tab back out and click it where it does go, in the new connector from your map... keep doing this until your harness locations match the new ignition unit, just know no matter what ignition unit... you'll have to bypass the start lockouts and spark arresting nonsense, built into all these fucking things.

It might sound complicated or difficult without pictures but it's really not... the unit most likely uses 5 wires max that you really need that are not bloat. Starter, ignition switch, ground, wire from pickup coils, wire going out to plugs.

binder56jd
02-24-2014, 8:35 PM
good stuff man, i appreciate it--i have read of using a gm hei module also :cheersmate: