PDA

View Full Version : how do i polarize a generator on a bike with magneto and no battery?

Milk
02-15-2014, 1:28 AM
So as it says, im trying to polarize my generator on my Panhead that i have just had off and tested and cleaned. They said its working great.

Everything is back on, and time to polarize.

I have tried using the battery off my other bike while it's still connected to the other bike. I thought that wouldn't matter?

Anyway, connected the ground to F terminal like it says on the cycle electric site. Flashed the A terminal with positive. It sparks every time i swipe it across but i can't hear the generator running.

Unhooked everything and kicked my bike over, still no lights.

What am i doing wrong? Can i flash it with a 12Volt batt charger if it's a 12V generator?

Please help as im stressing that ive fucked the generator somehow.

stumpnc
02-15-2014, 7:38 AM
Connect the ground from your external battery to a ground on the bike somewhere and then try it as per these instructions. The generator is not going to spin but you will get a spark when you flash the wire across the terminal.then connect everything back up and see if it will work.

http://nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

Milk
02-15-2014, 6:17 PM
Connect the ground from your external battery to a ground on the bike somewhere and then try it as per these instructions. The generator is not going to spin but you will get a spark when you flash the wire across the terminal.then connect everything back up and see if it will work.

http://nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

Thanks, that's basically what i have done. I will try it all again and then fire the bike up and see what happens. Maybe its the Regulator that is the problem? Again it says i need to have a battery to test it. Super frustrating.

From the cycle electric website :
"Measuring system voltage is simple. Connect a voltage meter across the battery terminals and rev the engine to about 1500 RPM. Determining what the reading means is a little more complicated. Harley Davidson specifications for voltage on 12 volt models of that era is 13.8 to 15.8 this is a very wide rang. "

Do you think i would be able to measure straight off the regulator, instead of across battery terminals?

Dragstews
02-15-2014, 7:13 PM
Don't forget to spit.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/urYTz1hKn54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

His Daddy taught him how to do dat....

Sky
02-16-2014, 8:52 PM
Treat the capacitor like the battery. For yor polarizing spark and to test output. At the cap not the batt.

theGreatSkyFather

Milk
02-18-2014, 1:33 AM
Treat the capacitor like the battery. For yor polarizing spark and to test output. At the cap not the batt.

theGreatSkyFather

Thanks mate, just going to rewire the whole bike as its got 40 yr old wiring on it. hopefully thatll sort it.