PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pipes On An EVO???

DirtyFilthyCustoms
02-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Has anyone ever put straight pipes on a fuel injected Evo? I've got an 2008 XL1200C, its fuel injected so I understand that I need Power Tuner of some sort but do straight pipes work good on that set up? Is there enough "back pressure" to work good? Do you need to constantly adjust the valves or anything of that nature with straight pipes??
-Thanks for the help-

guiltyview
02-15-2014, 10:24 AM
drag pipes don't work well unless you're at the top of your RPM range. that's why they're called "drag pipes". you're going to be giving up pretty much all torque in the low and mid range

CaptCaveman
02-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Harley FI, especially the early versions don't like engine mods of any kind. If your change thing you need a computer that allows remapping the fuel/air curve.

BrokenSprocketGarage
02-15-2014, 12:02 PM
A 2008 Sportster 1200cc engine isn't really an Evolution engine. It shares more in common with the Buell XB engine. You do not have adjustable valves in that engine. You have hydraulic tappets to take up the valve train clearance.
The bike will run ok, but not great. You will need a fuel tuner of some sort. Dynojet Power Vision being the current best product on the market, IMO.
As a side note there was a brand new Roland Sands 2 into 1 exhaust in the classified section that would work superb on your scoot.