PDA

View Full Version : The Texas Scene

DirtyFilthyCustoms
02-13-2014, 8:41 PM
Me and the wife are thinking of packing up the kids and heading east from SoCal to Texas. Anyone know how the bike scene is?? Any cool shows? Shops? or Hangouts??

904Punk
02-13-2014, 9:20 PM
Pretty damn big out here. Where in Texas you thinking though?

In march we have Giddy Up Texas and April is Just Kickers which both should be pretty big.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/14/y8udyjym.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/14/2ubu2y9y.jpg

jsChicago
02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Me and the wife are thinking of packing up the kids and heading east from SoCal to Texas.

Ha! Thanks for the timely post. My lease is up in two months and I was just sitting here thinking that it might be a good time to bolt south to the Plano area.

Demin
02-14-2014, 9:22 AM
If you're in nthe Dallas area.Check out Strokers.Shop,bar,tat shop all on one spot.Rick's a cool guy.Bike night through the weekend.Has some good bands.

www.strokersdallas.com

dberman
02-14-2014, 1:55 PM
It's a rather broad question to ask about the bike scene in the Great State of Texas. After all, Texas is, well, huge. The distance between El Paso and Beaumont is greater than the distance from El Paso to Los Angeles. Texas is bigger than the entire country of France, and Brewster County is larger than the entire state of Connecticut. Here's a little background from a Dallasite's perspective:

El Paso is brown and dusty and I won't go back there again, unless I'm in handcuffs. San Antonio is okay but it's too hot in the summer and the Riverwalk is kind of stupid and touristy. Houston is big - really big - and close to the gulf coast and if you know people there, it can be a blast. Dallas (my hometown) is a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit here. Austin is one of the top five greatest cities in the whole world (and I'm willing to defend that statement).

The annual Republic of Texas Bike Rally is held in June (it's huge) and the Lone Star Rally in Galveston, held each October, is second only to Sturgis in attendance.

The Hill Country, around and to the southwest of Austin, has some fantastic rides that rival the Dragon's Tail and Malibu and the Muir Woods outside of San Francisco.

Since the climate in Texas is relatively warm, the riding season is almost all year. I'm planning on riding tomorrow (Feb. 15) and I might not need a jacket. And we had snow last week.

A few comments about Texas in general:

If you hate country music (and I do), life can sometimes be difficult.

Don't flip someone the bird unless you're sure you can kick their ass. And you better be right.

If you haven't acquired a taste for Tex-Mex food, you will. Same with barbecue. And don't ever put beans in Chili. And Chicken Fried Steak has nothing to do with chicken.

If you aren't a Republican, don't come here.

Learn to speak Texan and use these expressions:

This ain’t my first rodeo.
Like lipstick on a pig.
Come hell or high water.
That dog won’t hunt.
Rode hard and put up wet.
Dumb as a box of rocks.
Busier than a $2 whore on nickel night.
Useless as tits on a boar.
Like a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.
Sweatin’ like a whore in church.
Madder than a wet hen.
Doesn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.
Bless your heart.

But most of all: Don't Mess With Texas.

DirtyFilthyCustoms
02-14-2014, 2:24 PM
Thanks for everyone's post. The wife's got family in Houston, we'll be out in march to visit. She's trying to convince me to move out there. So who knows maybe we'll see ya'll at a rally.

JebsMonkey
02-21-2014, 12:11 PM
God I miss HOME! Granbury...
Dirty make sure to take your guns, no self respecting Texan is ever without his or her arsenal and per TitsMcGee in my profile pic make sure to take a ride up to Austin for Kirby Lane!
Dberman can you send me some sweet tea, its apparently some kind of taboo mystery out here in the desert! lol

Nosebleed
02-21-2014, 12:48 PM
dbermann summed it up pretty well overall. Texas is enormous and there are a million miles of road to ride on. Far western and the northern panhandle area of Texas are barren, ugly places for the most part but there are still some decent places to camp and visit. The far eastern part of the state is big woods and there are a ton of great roads to ride through the shade of the pine trees. Central TX (and I live in Austin, so I may be biased) has some of the best motorcycling roads in the world and people around the world acknowledge that.

Sounds like youre headed toward the Houston area which is fine, if you want to live in the 4th largest city in the US. I grew up north of Houston in Spring, but it all runs together. From downtown Houston, you can go in any direction for 50 miles, and youre still in Houston, haha. Traffic and crime are bad in some areas but you are fairly close to the coast and there are plenty of car and bike things to do.

Dallas/Ft. Worth area is similar due to the size but I like it a lot better overall. Lots of concert events and things come to Dallas and there is a big ChopCult scene up there. We meet up with those bros a couple times a year for good times.

San Antonio, meh. It's kinda dirty and industrial (like Houston), it's hard to drive around in, crime rate is fairly bad and it's just overloaded with Hispanic culture, after all, that's the way it's always been since it was founded. I'm fine with it overall, but I wouldn't want to live there unless you speak Spanish. If you live in the burbs it's not so bad I suppose.

Austin is the place to be in Texas however if you want to have good times. It's a very active city and very social. The whole area is just nice, the employment picture is one of the best in America and it's a very diverse city. No matter what you want to do (except snow ski), you can do it in Austin and find a group of people to do it with, seriously. It's also a big city for live music and good food. People here like to eat and drink and to do it socially. I've lived here for about 15 years now and I don't want to live anywhere else. Cost of living is higher in Austin than most areas of the state, but nothing like SoCal and there are enough smaller towns near Austin that if you are ok with living outside of the city you can save a lot. For instance, I live in Round Rock about 7 miles north of Austin. Takes me 12 minutes to get to work, but I pay about $700/month on my mortgage, instead of the $1200-1300 that the same house would cost in Austin.

We have a great ChopCult and custom bike scene here in the Austin/Central TX area. It's a "riding" town for sure and there are a lot of motorcycle riders and enthusiasts of every kind from the urban sportbike guys to the HD dealership do-rag guys, but it all seems to work ok. We have several "event" type of things that we do each year, car and bike shows (the traditional hotrod thing is big here like in SoCal), racing events, MotoGP comes here in April if youre into motorcycle roadracing as well the the American Formula 1 events. There are plenty of places to ride to and camp/party within 100 miles from Austin for those weekend camping trips. If you have kids the schools here are generally good, but better in the burbs than in Austin proper.

You don't want to be in El Paso or anywhere in between there and Oklahoma. The panhandle is smelly, windy, and the weather sucks as bad as the scenery does. The roads are straight and boring and there are no trees.

Stay south of interstate 20, and east of Midland/Odessa and you'll be happier.

Saltytonk
02-21-2014, 2:04 PM
Hey No Fair Nose! Theres some stuff North of 20. Like me for instance! But at least I am way east of Midland/Odessa.

I'm in north central Texas. Just south of Wichita Falls area. I'm about an hour and a half from Oklahoma. There are several great roads to ride in my stomping grounds as well. FM4 is one of the top motorcycle roads in the state ( according to Ride Texas magazine - ask AngryJohnny about it). TX16 has some really cool riding , it begins 30 miles south of Wichita Falls and runs all the way to the coast. And its got some of everything on it. Possum Kingdom lake is beautiful.
Lots of lakes in this area.

What we do lack somewhat in the immediate area is chopper type events. There is a HOG type event pretty well every weekend. There are a few chopper type things but usually have to travel a few hours for those. But the ride is part of the fun anyway ....right? The chopper scene is growing in Texas....theres a handful of us guys that "got ilk" and do all that can be done to have more and better events.

Schools are good. Jobs are plentiful (just not high paying) . Weather for the most part is great for riding. But you will need to get used to Texas heat. It aint a dry heat. its a sweaty ass heat.
It is a rugged place .

When you order Tea. it comes in a Tall glass with Ice and it has about a pound of sugar in it.
If someone offers "let's go get a Coke" They are saying "lets have a soft drink"
And if some says "here directly" that means sometime in the near future.
Someone that is "all hat and no cattle" means that they are all show and no substance.
The smaller towns are measured and referred to by the classification of their high school football team...that's why you'll hear people ask " Bowie? Are they 3A? or 2A? "
Speaking of high school football......this is serious business in Texas. It is much bigger than college and Pro ball. Sure the same folks are fans of the big boys but on Friday nights in the fall there's really not much doubt what most people are doing.

Texans will also speak to you on the street, very friendly folks.
But if you come ......please assimilate to what we have going on......we don't take kindly to Yankees or Hippies from California telling us how to do things.

:cheersmate:

DirtyFilthyCustoms
02-21-2014, 2:26 PM
Love the feed back everyone. The wifes got family in the Houston area, were heading out to visit and check things out at the end of march beginning of april. Gonna try to make it out to Giddy Up Chopper Show on our was out.

Nosebleed
02-21-2014, 2:40 PM
Ok, fine, that's true; other than the guys in the DFW area, and still north of I-20...there's LoudnGreasey, haha.

Nah, most of us fellers with similar interests in bikes seem to get along really well and we tend to find each other for events, runs, parties and such. SaltyTonk and his pal xllance have come down south several times for central TX events are they are fantastic dudes. Likewise the "FTW Krew" guys from all over the Dallas/Ft. Worth area are great guys and we will pretty much all meet up for some good times just across the Oklahoma border for Just Kickers in about 2 months.

There's a lot going on here in TX and plenty of good folks to do it with.
:cheersmate:

Okiecockfighter
03-05-2014, 7:53 AM
Ft worth Harley and chopper swap meet ... March 23 coyote drive in texasscootertimes.com

Roach61
03-12-2014, 2:02 PM
whats up texas! so i got myself one of them there job thinggys in round rock, tx. holy shit am i excited! only thing is i dont really know anything of the area. i have read all the post and i LOVE everything i have read so far. i was hoping someone knew of cheap living in the round rock area. also i was thinking of getting a small (600 - 1500sqft) warehouse garage thing that i could live in and chop in on the side for crazy cheap. i have been trying online but all i seem to find are HUGE (10,000 - 100,000sqft) garages. this simply wont do. any help or ideas or anything anything would be great. thanks again cant wait to join the scene!

Nosebleed
03-19-2014, 7:01 AM
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/4000/3433/89038.jpg

www.ridepmr.com