PDA

View Full Version : chain stretch?

JaySco
08-15-2009, 1:15 PM
I'm wondering where to mount the fender on my build because I'm switching to a chain drive and need to compensate for stretch. So I was wondering....how much will a 530 chain stretch over it's life?

bwleather
08-15-2009, 5:32 PM
In my experience a chain may "stretch" as much as maybe 1.5 inches, however, chains don't technicaly stretch, they wear. Which means the more & the better you keep them lubed, the less they will "stretch" & the longer they will last. When I first converted from belt, my $100 chain didn't last to long. Every time I rode it seemed the chain would stretch. I was trying waxes & everything that claimed not to sling off. Waisted my money & waisted my chain. Later bought a $30 chain & lube it with 80 weight gear oil. A hell of a mess, but I haven't had to replace it for 3-4 years now. Hope that helps a little.

BW Hand Tooled Leather (http://bw-leather.com)

+BLACK FUZZ+ (http://blackfuzz.blogspot.com)

Luke
08-15-2009, 6:19 PM
Mount the fender with the axle all the way forward. The use of axle adjusters will take up the slack as the chain stretches. The more the chain stretches- the more you adjust the axle- the further away the distance between the tire and fender.

boogieman
08-16-2009, 3:38 PM
You could make an idler sprocket to adjust away any slack in the chain. Then the axle/wheel stays put but you have a way to deal with slack. I don't mean a tensioner, but an actual idler gear. A 50 series gear is the one you are looking for for a 530 chain.

JaySco
08-16-2009, 4:21 PM
In my experience a chain may "stretch" as much as maybe 1.5 inches, however, chains don't technicaly stretch, they wear.

Wear, got it. So 1.5 inches total. 3/4" from time mounted to time to change (approx) for axle adjustment. Boogie, I'm getting a Baker Sportster chain conversion that comes with an idle gear. I'm guessing this is an adjustable gear to make up for slack. If it is then I guess I can mount the fender as close to the wheel as I want. Anyone?!?! It should be here in a day or two, I guess I'll find out for sure then.

boogieman
08-16-2009, 9:01 PM
Yeah, the idler is basically a sprocket that meshes with the chain and slides up and down in some sort of slot, lets you take the slack out.

Think something like a geared chain tensioner, but without the springy action. It's solid mounted.

I can't find any pics at the moment.

KawiDave
08-17-2009, 4:52 AM
Also keep in mind that your tire will swell a little bit and rub the hell outa your fender. Kiss any nice paint goodbye if that happens. So remember to leave some space between them. Just my .02

bwleather
08-17-2009, 8:20 AM
Boogieman, just curious why you prefer the idler gear over the spring loaded wheel type. Something to do with chain whip or...? I've been wanting to add one or the other to my bike, but never really heard that one was better than the other. Enlighten us please.

JaySco
08-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Also keep in mind that your tire will swell a little bit and rub the hell outa your fender. Kiss any nice paint goodbye if that happens. So remember to leave some space between them. Just my .02

Thanks. I was planning on leaving a little room anyway, just didn't want it sitting 4" off the tire.

boogieman
08-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Boogieman, just curious why you prefer the idler gear over the spring loaded wheel type. Something to do with chain whip or...? I've been wanting to add one or the other to my bike, but never really heard that one was better than the other. Enlighten us please.

I just like em? I build round balers (for hay) at work. We use a solid mounted idler sprocket in the door of them (not that that means anything lol). I don't know how well that translates to motorcycles, but they just seem neater to me than something on a spring.

Once you tighten a solid mounted one, it won't move. This could be beneficial in tight quarters. Plus I don't like having to rely on a spring that could (yeah right?) break... probably just a quirk of mine. Again, mainly cause I like them.

Oh yeah, I am no expert, still just messing around with the one on my bike. Maybe somebody who knows will chime in?