PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Sportster Speedometer Wiring Question

BuckaruETD
01-19-2014, 5:52 AM
I have a 2002 Sportster 1200 that i've completely overhauled this winter. No issues besides the speedometer no longer works. I trimmed out all unneccessary wiring (indicator lights etc) and currently have only the wires I believe I need for the stock speedo to work. I have the 3 wires from the speed sensor, the power wire, and the green / white wire to the cancelling turn signals (won't work without i believe...). Currently the speedo has a very faint light when I turn the ignition. The speedo shows no mileage and doesn't make that noise they make.

My biggest mistake was not making a diaghram of what I had before I started unplugging things. So my question is what wires do I absolutely need to make a stock harley speedo function? Also what positions should the wires be plugged into the speedo harness? '

If anyone could share a picture of what the stock speedo wiring harness is it would answer so many questions.

Thanks.

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-19-2014, 2:52 PM
Sounds like you forgot a ground wire. That would be a black wire. Check the wiring diagram in your service manual for location in the speedo harness plug. The green/white wire is a speed signal input to the turn signal canceller. If you don't use the GN/WE wire you will have to manually turn off your turn signals.

BuckaruETD
01-19-2014, 6:59 PM
Thanks man. The manual doesn't have the locations of the wires in the harness so it takes me back to square one!

Anyone have a picture of their wiring harness?

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-20-2014, 6:42 AM
I have this info at my shop. I can post it later tonight. Google search should help if you need it before then.

BuckaruETD
01-20-2014, 6:45 PM
that'd be awesome man. I've tried searching everywhere and haven't found what i need. My only option without photos is to order a new wiring harness just to see where the plugs go. Maybe I just don't run a speedo anymore.

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-21-2014, 6:49 AM
I found info from a speedo kit for a Wide Glide. In that application the ground is pin 10. I have a Sportster in my shop that I can pop the cover off of the speedo and check. I will do that today.

Ramzilla
01-21-2014, 7:24 AM
I agree you are missing a ground. You should have 3 wires to the speed sensor, 1 wire to power, 1 wire to ground. You don't need the green wire unless you are using signals. I have the exact pin numbers wrote down at home I could get you later.

BuckaruETD
01-21-2014, 8:57 AM
hell yes guys! That's definetly my issue then. I just hope it works once I get the wiring figured out!

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-21-2014, 8:36 PM
I checked on a 1997 XL1200 Deutsch plug located under the headlight visor. Ground wire is pin 10.

BuckaruETD
01-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks man but those wires I got. It's the plug that goes into the speedo that I have issues with. The plug was broken and I removed the wires without recording where they were plugged before hand

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-22-2014, 2:52 PM
So we are talking the plug inside the speedo. Can you post a pic? I have one of those in my shop too. Tomorrow.......

bigdaddy
01-22-2014, 7:50 PM
Either of these help?

bigdaddy
01-22-2014, 7:51 PM
Here's the other.

BuckaruETD
01-22-2014, 8:20 PM
So we are talking the plug inside the speedo. Can you post a pic? I have one of those in my shop too. Tomorrow.......

picture is attached of the plug type i'm looking for. The wires in the attached photo is in the wrong positions.

BuckaruETD
01-22-2014, 8:21 PM
Either of these help?

different type of connector but thanks for the help!

BuckaruETD
01-23-2014, 9:54 PM
Solved this today by finally getting my manual in the mail. Thanks for everyone's attempts in solving this for me! attached is the info i had needed!