PDA

View Full Version : Picking up 883 XL from a 20 year cryosleep - Sealed battery advice?

Skylar
01-15-2014, 10:30 AM
this bike has been sitting in a tiny garage since 1993/4, it's a 1993 model with 6 miles on it, if the odometer is to be believed. The owner took delivery and rode it twice and unfortunately cancer took him off the streets pretty much immediately after the bike arrived. That's what I'm told anyways.

I get the bike this weekend, looking at squaring away a sealed gel/AGM battery, I was wondering what's being used out there. Rather not go to the dealer if I can help it.

Pics to follow this weekend, it has the usual oxidation on the cases, but overall it looks pretty clean, or as clean as a garaged old bike from Michigan would I guess.

Excited for the possibilities. I expect the gaskets to be dried out, possible electrical issues, etc.

Motorradfahrer
01-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I know they're a little pricey but I've always had great luck with the dealer batteries. The last one I had was good for 7 years.

Besides the gaskets, I'd recommend that you replace all of the oil and fuel lines. Anything rubber should be replaced.

shoveler
01-15-2014, 5:38 PM
Congrats on your find. I've ran an AGM battery for a few years now. I was pressed for time and picked up the house brand at advanced auto. I was hesitant at first but it has performed very well. It is rated at 310 cold cranking amps but I bench tested mine and it is actually pushing 550 CCA! Plus you can run them in any position without worrying about leaks and they tend to handle vibration better.

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-15-2014, 9:02 PM
H-D brand batteries are made by Deka. Advance Auto sells Deka as Magna power I thin k. All are good batteries. Yuasa are excellent, but not cheap. Look for a battery with a solid lug one piece sealed post.
Really can't go wrong with the HD battery.

Skylar
01-17-2014, 8:22 AM
H-D brand batteries are made by Deka. Advance Auto sells Deka as Magna power I thin k. All are good batteries. Yuasa are excellent, but not cheap. Look for a battery with a solid lug one piece sealed post.
Really can't go wrong with the HD battery.

Magna Powers were always the cheap ones for the metric bikes just to get 'em goin once I bought them and got them running. I have two Panasonic sealed batteries in the R80 and R90 Airheads, and a Yuasa in the XS650.

I'm big into the newer style sealed batteries, can you get an HD that you don't have to add water to?

Thanks for the info my friend.

farmall
01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
You can probably just change fluids to get rid of condensation and go ride the shit out of it. Electrical issues aren't likely. (My 1988 FXR has spent most of its life outdoors uncovered in SC humidity and rain with no electrical problems not attributable to high mileage.)

I'd inspect the inside of the gas tank, fuel lines (which are probably harder than woodpecker lips by now), and pull the carb to ensure the jets are clean but that's easy stuff.

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-17-2014, 4:13 PM
Magna Powers were always the cheap ones for the metric bikes just to get 'em goin once I bought them and got them running. I have two Panasonic sealed batteries in the R80 and R90 Airheads, and a Yuasa in the XS650.

I'm big into the newer style sealed batteries, can you get an HD that you don't have to add water to?

Thanks for the info my friend.
All the H-D batteries are sealed, maintenance free AGM batteries, as are the Dekas and Magna Power. Deka part number ETX20HLBS I think is for your bike. Yuasa batteries come witth a fluid pack, fill it once, charge it and seal it forever. There is absolutely no good reason to use a wet cell battery in a bike you intend to keep

Nosebleed
01-17-2014, 4:28 PM
You can usually find the Deka batteries on ebay with free shipping. The Deka for my Sportster ran about $25 or so less money than buying the HD battery at the dealership. Of course, I discovered this after I had already bought a new HD battery. I'm on my 2nd one and the first one last about 4 years or so. I don't get to ride as much as I'd like so it may have lasted longer if I'd ridden more frequently on it.

I would def check the tank as well. If it wasn't lined, it's super rusty, and if it was lined, chances are the liner is coming off by now. I'm nursing an ironhead back to life and PO throws in a brand spanking new (in about 1990!) extra King tank for it. He tells me, "it's ready to go man, that tank was lined with that Kreamy stuff!" Indeed it was, as I verified by removing the tank from it's original box, removing the gas cap and looking inside...to find about half a pound of "Kreamy" potato chips in a pile in the bottom of the tank, and one rusted out son of a gun!

Just bought this stuff yesterday:
http://www.metalrescue.com/home.aspx

I hear it eats rust faster than I eat chicken nuggets. Sorry, didn't mean to meander there.

Skylar
01-21-2014, 1:04 PM
You can usually find the Deka batteries on ebay with free shipping. The Deka for my Sportster ran about $25 or so less money than buying the HD battery at the dealership. Of course, I discovered this after I had already bought a new HD battery. I'm on my 2nd one and the first one last about 4 years or so. I don't get to ride as much as I'd like so it may have lasted longer if I'd ridden more frequently on it.

I would def check the tank as well. If it wasn't lined, it's super rusty, and if it was lined, chances are the liner is coming off by now. I'm nursing an ironhead back to life and PO throws in a brand spanking new (in about 1990!) extra King tank for it. He tells me, "it's ready to go man, that tank was lined with that Kreamy stuff!" Indeed it was, as I verified by removing the tank from it's original box, removing the gas cap and looking inside...to find about half a pound of "Kreamy" potato chips in a pile in the bottom of the tank, and one rusted out son of a gun!

Just bought this stuff yesterday:
http://www.metalrescue.com/home.aspx

I hear it eats rust faster than I eat chicken nuggets. Sorry, didn't mean to meander there.

No apologies needed my friend- the tank definitely needs a rust treatment. It reeks of varnish and I wouldn't run one that old sitting without doing that anyways.

Metal rescue it is, I have junk tanks to try it on too.

I'm gonna try to troubleshoot on the cheap so a Deka sounds good in the interim.

http://s27.postimg.org/l0ediqqo3/IMG_5100.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/50vpz6umb/IMG_5106.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/vw160cm83/IMG_5113.jpg

Skylar
01-21-2014, 1:05 PM
All the H-D batteries are sealed, maintenance free AGM batteries, as are the Dekas and Magna Power. Deka part number ETX20HLBS I think is for your bike. Yuasa batteries come witth a fluid pack, fill it once, charge it and seal it forever. There is absolutely no good reason to use a wet cell battery in a bike you intend to keep

Excellent information, sounds like the one. Thank you sir.

Skylar
01-21-2014, 1:06 PM
You can probably just change fluids to get rid of condensation and go ride the shit out of it. Electrical issues aren't likely. (My 1988 FXR has spent most of its life outdoors uncovered in SC humidity and rain with no electrical problems not attributable to high mileage.)

I'd inspect the inside of the gas tank, fuel lines (which are probably harder than woodpecker lips by now), and pull the carb to ensure the jets are clean but that's easy stuff.

Definitely pulling the carb. Aircleaner looks mint. I was figuring all new lines & fluids. Tank was drained 20 years ago but luckily there is oil in the bag. Rear tire was still holding lots of circa 1993 air.

CoLoNpEe
01-21-2014, 1:34 PM
Definitely pulling the carb. Aircleaner looks mint. I was figuring all new lines & fluids. Tank was drained 20 years ago but luckily there is oil in the bag. Rear tire was still holding lots of circa 1993 air.

LOL You can bottle that old air and sell it as NOS Tire air to the purists