PDA

View Full Version : evo vs. ironhead sportster?

TheGreatBeast
08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I've read an article on swapping bt evo guts (flywheels,lifters,pistons,etc)into a shovelhead engine. I was wondering are there any interchangeable engine parts with sportsters?

kromsucks
08-15-2009, 12:39 PM
i dont know but that would be awesome to have evo reliability and power with the look of an ironhead

SportsterBob
08-17-2009, 1:29 PM
I don't think there's any!

Dew
08-17-2009, 4:13 PM
I could put an evo carb on my Ironhead........ but then I would have to take off the weber DCOE 40mm....... Dew.

evilmother
09-27-2009, 7:04 AM
Evo is just cheaper, canīt see the upside....

RockinRyan
09-27-2009, 1:18 PM
Evo is just cheaper, canīt see the upside....

Reliability? The XL Evo is one of the most reliable engines Harley has ever produced. Sure the Ironhead looks "cooler," but you will rarely see an Evo on the side of the road.

northeasteric
09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
i dont know but that would be awesome to have evo reliability and power with the look of an ironhead

thats gospel.

JL
09-29-2009, 12:15 AM

What's unreliable about a properly built Ironhead? Seriously, they are fundamentally the same engine.
The alloy Evo top end allows tighter machining tolerences and lasts longer, but that's not a reliability issue.
The main reasons for Evo reliability are superior charging and ignition systems and more accurate fuel delivery, issues which can all be addressed on an Ironhead.
Ironheads have tough engines, but they need to be set up well to run cool and happy, and a lot of them have passed through the hands of broke teenage clowns.

kingdeadbeat
09-29-2009, 8:12 PM
"issues which can all be addressed on an Ironhead"

evos come straight from the box ready to kick ass, and as far as Im concerned, broke teenagers are the ones buying evo sporties now, kicking the shit outta them, and they are still more reliable than the ironhead....so why even put work into an inferior motor....JUST for looks?....a clean evo looks better than a raunchy ironhead any day of the week

24Cycles
09-30-2009, 12:26 AM

evos come straight from the box ready to kick ass, and as far as Im concerned, broke teenagers are the ones buying evo sporties now, kicking the shit outta them, and they are still more reliable than the ironhead....so why even put work into an inferior motor....JUST for looks?....a clean evo looks better than a raunchy ironhead any day of the week

Tell us how you really feel lol

JL
10-01-2009, 5:49 AM
I'm not knocking Evos OR Ironheads, I've spent many years and an awful lot of miles on both.
I'm just saying that with a little effort, you can make either work for you.
Honda Fireblades "come straight from the box ready to kick ass" too, it's just that "putting work into inferior motors" is actually my job...

ab18thst
10-02-2009, 6:30 PM

I really avoid things like this but this is just palin dumb!! Ironheads were the engine in a sporty from 57 to 85 and to say they're so shitty comparied to an evo is well just shitty!! Yes technology has changed and there are better aspects about an evo but i haven't seen, or heard, of to many evos that can be repaired on the side of the road and for less than an Ironhead. Don't flame me cause I'm sensitive but my Ironhead has 1000cc, and it's slightly tuned, and your evo has 883!! Well I guess "inferior" is if you can't pick up the bike cause your 1000 weighs more than your 883!

RockinRyan
10-02-2009, 8:58 PM
This is kind of a dumb argument anyway guys. The spirit of this board is that ALL chops are cool, no matter what engine is powering them. New vs. old. American vs. foreign. These debates should never come up on a chopper board IMHO.

kickn73
10-06-2009, 9:06 PM
just ride the shit out of it.

billdozer
10-06-2009, 9:21 PM
This is kind of a dumb argument anyway guys. The spirit of this board is that ALL chops are cool, no matter what engine is powering them. New vs. old. American vs. foreign. These debates should never come up on a chopper board IMHO.

Good call Ryan. Ride what you want, both have benefits.

dirtyd
10-13-2009, 8:44 AM
BAH!!!!!!! all sportsters are chicks bikes. half a harley and all that goo. LOL!!!! I AM JUST KIDDING I love em both old and new. first harley was an ironhead sporty so Im partial to them though. ride what cha like man.

Jumbo
10-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Older shit is always cooler! Maybe not as reliable but way cooler!
-my 2 cents.

imtheslime
10-13-2009, 6:18 PM
BAH!!!!!!! all sportsters are chicks bikes. half a harley and all that goo. LOL!!!! I AM JUST KIDDING I love em both old and new. first harley was an ironhead sporty so Im partial to them though. ride what cha like man.

I realize you were kidding but, most people that say sportsters are for chicks obviously haven't lifted a sporty motor lately...I guess chicks wouldn't have to worry bout dropping testicles on the floor though.

knucklehead82
09-15-2012, 4:14 PM
i got a ironhead because im poor and cant afford a newer sporty. plus ironheads are cooler and i payed $1000.00 for a running riding bike when i get completely done i will be in it for 2k. cant beat that.

Gnarly
09-15-2012, 5:35 PM
i got a ironhead because im poor and cant afford a newer sporty. plus ironheads are cooler and i payed $1000.00 for a running riding bike when i get completely done i will be in it for 2k. cant beat that.

Haha this thread is from 09!
But damn 1k for a running IH is gooood as hell

radpitt
11-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I bought a late eighty four ironhead because that's when they switched to the alternator charging system. Between that and the solid state ignition I feel like its the best of both worlds

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

scuzzy
11-27-2013, 1:52 AM
this makes me think of guys that drop Chevy engines into Fords

I always ask why???

thats all ill say on the matter..

damn just noticed the date on the thread.

what the hell man bringing back and old ass thread????

again WHY?

xllance
11-28-2013, 3:36 AM
How exactly is swapping the rotating assembly from an Evo into an Ironhead going to make it more reliable ?

cb550Matt
11-28-2013, 7:39 AM
How exactly is swapping the rotating assembly from an Evo into an Ironhead going to make it more reliable ?

umm it won't fit

xllance
11-29-2013, 6:33 AM
umm it won't fit

No shit....

sdsbassist
08-31-2015, 8:52 PM
Why isn't this the greatest thread ever?

Johnnychaz
10-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Here's the opinion, like an ass!!!!
Ironheads= beast, bark, nasty, loud, obnoxious, your neighbor hates you but his daughter wants to "sit on your ride". Dependable if you know what your
doing, like any women, treat her well, she'll come back.
Evo sportsters= no nickname, no character, everybody has one, shiny new parts, boring, tame, etc..... Don't need to go on!?!?!!???

littledill
10-03-2017, 11:09 AM
reliability? The xl evo is one of the most reliable engines harley has ever produced. Sure the ironhead looks "cooler," but you will rarely see an evo on the side of the road.

truth