PDA

View Full Version : Shipping questions! help me

leston
01-10-2014, 2:29 PM
So im shipping a sidecar and frame to a guy and was wondering if anyone had past experience with shipping an odd shaped heavy item, and suggested routes to use? Ive looked into UPS freight. Do i have any other options?

Acosi151
01-10-2014, 3:02 PM
You need an LTL Carrier (Less than Load)

One of the biggest ones in the states is Con-Way freight. But you could also just try some of the small dry-van trucking companies that you know-of in your area. They might let you bring it to their dock to load.

You'll need somewhere with business hours to pick-up and deliver to and you'll want to crate the heck out of the sidecar or have it destroyed in transit.

You could also try one of the back-haul load boards/auction sites like www.uship.com (http://www.uship.com/ltl-freight/)

EVILBLACKSABRE
01-10-2014, 4:44 PM
During a previous shipping occupation, I used Conway and Saia on a frequent basis with very good results. A nice thing about the big, professional shipping companies is that if they damage your stuff, they have to pay for it. I'm not sure if the private shippers of U-ship offer the same pay-for-damage policy. You might have to take a private shipper to court to get any money.

You should expect that you will be responsible for providing a forklift to load the crate onto the truck. Either that, or you need a shipper with a truck that has a lift. Then all you have to do is get the crate on the lift. Drivers working for the professional outfits bring their owm pallet-jacks for moving crates/pallets around in the truck. These jacks can be used to load a crate onto the trucks lift. Make sure that the crate you build can accommodate a forklift and pallet-jack. Or secure the crate onto a pallet.

However you ship your stuff, always take A LOT of pictures of it right before you crate it up, and take A LOT of pictures of the crate after you crate it up. That way you have some kind of proof that the stuff/crate wasn't damaged prior to pickup.

BuddhahoodVato
01-10-2014, 5:54 PM
Get a big pallet and strap it down in the back of your truck