PDA

View Full Version : 06 Sportster Narrow- to 48 Mid-Glide Conversion

toast
01-08-2014, 8:00 PM
Searched all day today on here and other forums, to no avail.

Recently purchased a 48 mid-glide front end here on CC Classifieds. It's currently en route. I've been wanting to do the conversion for awhile but it just seemed way more expensive than I was willing to pay. Of course taking it to HD was out of the question because I don't feel like getting my bank account pillaged. However, now that my fantasy is on it's way to becoming reality, I've got some questions. Like, a lot of questions. I'm hoping somebody here can just drop some knowledge on me.

Here's what I have:
06 XL 1200L
Stock narrow front
Stock 19" wheel
Basic hand tools
Somewhere between beginner and intermediate mechanical skill
No fab equipment/experience

Here's what I'm getting:
stock 48 mid glide front (year unknown, don't think it matters) from top clamp to axle

Here's what I know:
48 came with a 16" wheel with a 25mm hub
My 19" wheel has a 3/4" hub
I have a spare rear mag. Specs unknown

Here's what I don't know:
Specs of axle for either front end
Whether or not my 19" will fit on the mid front axle
---If not, what needs to be changed to make the 19" fit
Whether or not my brake caliper will fit the mid front
How large a spacer will be needed on the 19" wheel to make the disc align with the caliper

Plan A: slap the mid on there with my 19" wheel. I need to figure out a complete list of things that I need that I don't have, be it spacers, adapters, bearings, etc.

Plan B: clean up the spare rear I have and make it my new front. Need to know the same things as above.

Plan C: don't really want to end up doing this. Easiest, most expensive method. Buy a 48 wheel and skip the wheel conversion process altogether.

Now, if anybody has any information to help fill in the blanks, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

toast
01-09-2014, 7:36 PM
Ugh just typed a really long reply on my phone and somehow it didn't post. Fml

Short version:

Contacted Vulcan works. They make a mid glide conversion. What they told me I'll need:
Brake disc spacer, .718"
Right side axle spacer, .540"
Left side axle spacer, .312"

And I'll need to convert my 3/4" hub to a 25mm hub. This is where I'm really confused. How do I do that?

Sky
01-09-2014, 7:49 PM
Just swap bearings and the inner spacer. The 25mm will most likely be sealed not tapered (aka timpkin) but you still need to set up priper endplay (zero for sealed bearings). VW is probably right. But you never really know what spacers you actualy need until you start mocking for assembly.

theGreatSkyFather

bobscogin
01-09-2014, 8:08 PM
Just swap bearings and the inner spacerr

Don't the 3/4" Timken and 25mm ball bearing have different OD?

Bob

toast
01-09-2014, 8:24 PM
Just swap bearings and the inner spacer. The 25mm will most likely be sealed not tapered (aka timpkin) but you still need to set up priper endplay (zero for sealed bearings). VW is probably right. But you never really know what spacers you actualy need until you start mocking for assembly.

theGreatSkyFather

I don't know the difference between sealed and tapered, nor do I know what end play is.

I'm trying to do as much of this myself as possible, so I only want to visit/pay a machine shop once. Local HD has a custom machine shop but they charge $90/hour so I want, if at all possible, to get my numbers right before I place an order.

I'm wondering if buying a used wheel from 07+ (25mm) would be just as cost effective as buying/getting fabbed/installing new hub guts.

Stlmikie
01-10-2014, 5:39 AM
If you sold your existing wheel and bought the 48 wheel you might would break even. Heck you might could do a straight up trade. In the trade include your spacers and axle for their setup.

I don't know the difference between sealed and tapered, nor do I know what end play is.

I'm trying to do as much of this myself as possible, so I only want to visit/pay a machine shop once. Local HD has a custom machine shop but they charge $90/hour so I want, if at all possible, to get my numbers right before I place an order.

I'm wondering if buying a used wheel from 07+ (25mm) would be just as cost effective as buying/getting fabbed/installing new hub guts.

toast
01-10-2014, 5:52 AM
If you sold your existing wheel and bought the 48 wheel you might would break even. Heck you might could do a straight up trade. In the trade include your spacers and axle for their setup.

Possible. But I don't want a 16" up front, I want my 19. I may buy an 07+ wheel if it turns out that changing bearings and making spacers for my pre-07 is gonna take too long.

Stlmikie
01-10-2014, 6:05 AM
Yeah. I forgt you're wanting to keep the 19.

psychedelicsalsa
10-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Just came across this old thread and it's exactly what I'm doing now. What specs did you end up with if/when you completed the conversion?? Got a mid glide but wanna put a 21" on front with spacers.

DIABOLUS
10-05-2015, 10:41 PM
Don't the 3/4" Timken and 25mm ball bearing have different OD?

Bob

They do, but the 2006 XL should have sealed bearings, so the OD is the same between 3/4" ID and 25mm ID bearings.

bkcycle
07-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Just came across this old thread and it's exactly what I'm doing now. What specs did you end up with if/when you completed the conversion?? Got a mid glide but wanna put a 21" on front with spacers.

I'm doing the exact same thing right now as well. Interested to know what spacers are needed. Anyone want a 16x3 front wheel off a 2016 48?

txhardcore
12-06-2016, 12:31 PM
How much are you asking for you're front wheel?