PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans to Austin?

Kcarvajal
01-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Hey guys. A few of us are planning to trailer our bikes to New Orleans in mid-March, hang out for a couple nights, then ride to Austin. Spend a couple nights there, head back to New Orleans... then home.

We plan to break up the ride from NOLA to Austin in 2 days and curious if there are any roads/route recommendations from any of you that live in the areas.

Thanks!
Ken

RoperDKC
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
First of all, NOLA is a rough city and a shithole but there's so much fun to be had there. Make sure y'all got your shit locked up tight. There's definitely some good riding between there and ATx for sure. Lafayette Cemetery in NOLA is really rad and be sure to drink you a Mint Julep at the Oak Alley Plantation in between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

I moved down here (about two and a half hours from Orleans) from way up at the top of Texas and I've been all over Texas and South Louisiana.

Unless you're dying to ride the coast, I'd skip it and take a more northern route. Real nasty roads and way too many bugs for a crappy coastline in my opinion.

Take interstates up to BR and into Lafayette and from there find you some backroads to take on to Austin. Most of it's bridges through swamp and it's better than any other interstate riding I've found yet looks wise.
East Texas is the best place in the world. It's a little out of the way, but the Sabine national forrest and Toledo Bend reservoir is definitely worth hanging out at. Good place to camp and fish and break that trip in half. Take you some backroads on through east Texas and into the hill country. (the second best place in the world). Austin is a hell of a good time and more good lookin' women than you can shake a stick at. When you're in that area you definitely want to get down to San Marcos and I don't care what else you do, make it a point to ride out to Canyon Lake and hit the devil's backbone. There's a bar right there by it right on the side of the highway as you cross into Comal county called Riley's Tavern, super cool little garage turned bar. Also go to lake Travis too. And You want to go to Luckenbach, Texas. Everybody has to go there. You'll go through a little town called Fredericksburg on the way there and you'll enjoy the sights there. I can't pick a BBQ place to point you to, but you'll find yourself some greatness I'm sure.

ANYWAYS- I damn sure didn't intend that to be so long haha. You can paypal me travel guide fees whenever you can. hhaha damn I desperately miss the motherland and anyone who wants to check it out I'll make sure I can help 'em out by getting them started to a kick ass time. I'm living in Lafayette, La. If you guys need a place to crash or some tools or whatever, just give me a holler. Hell I may even tag along for a bit and we'll kill a few racks on Lone Star Beer.

There's a lot of awesome shit going on down that way too. I've seen a few guys really going above and beyond to get stuff going. I can't remember who it was, but these dudes put on the Road to Ruin and that looks like a real fuckin' awesome time, maybe you can work that into your trip. Good luck.

Kcarvajal
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Man, the more info the better. I'm gonna try to map it all out. Thanks so much!

I don't think we're too crazy about riding the coast so avoiding it is a good tip. We will be leaving our truck in Harahan but not sure where we'll be staying around NOLA yet. But I appreciate the offer man.

Absolutely, if you're around and up for it tag along for a bit.

bp131
01-06-2014, 1:50 PM
We did a road trip from Austin to NOLA. Took the interstate there and this route back.The latter of the two being a lot more fun and scenic. The roads in New Orleans are horrible but once outside the city they're not bad. Fat Tuesday is March 4th this year. Not that the city will be dead in Mid March but it won't be AS crazy. Hit me up when it gets closer.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Austin,+TX&amp;daddr=30.7183 27,-95.5722803+to:29.7114953,-91.3961725+to:Harahan,+LA&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FRHXzQEdK4 8s-ikvA8ygmbVEhjF61WnUS0abXQ%3BFXe51AEdyK5N-il3qiCwOgZHhjGkAeKyUYMmYA%3BFYdcxQEdtGeN-imXsyawC8MjhjEoM3kncGkIcQ%3BFQPbyAEdBZyf-inVyvgpQroghjHuFjyHLATA5Q&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=Austin&amp;sll=30.63 3186,-93.614502&amp;sspn=3.898842,4.77356&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz= 8&amp;via=1,2&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=30.921076,-97.987061&amp;spn=3.898842,4.77356&amp;t=m&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Austin,+TX&amp;daddr=30.71 8327,-95.5722803+to:29.7114953,-91.3961725+to:Harahan,+LA&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FRHXzQEdK4 8s-ikvA8ygmbVEhjF61WnUS0abXQ%3BFXe51AEdyK5N-il3qiCwOgZHhjGkAeKyUYMmYA%3BFYdcxQEdtGeN-imXsyawC8MjhjEoM3kncGkIcQ%3BFQPbyAEdBZyf-inVyvgpQroghjHuFjyHLATA5Q&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=Austin&amp;sll=30.63 3186,-93.614502&amp;sspn=3.898842,4.77356&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz= 8&amp;via=1,2&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=30.921076,-97.987061&amp;spn=3.898842,4.77356&amp;t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Kcarvajal
01-06-2014, 2:12 PM
Nice! Thanks bp131!

We're looking at the week of 3/9 - 3/15 to be exact so I'm hoping Mardi Gras has settled down by then. I will definitely hit you guys up when it gets closer.

Thanks fellas!

Guano
01-07-2014, 3:58 PM
I agree with Roper about devil's backbone, Riley's bar, Luckenbach (take the devil's backbone aka RR 32 to Blanco, then get on 1888). 1888 is beautiful, even in the dead of winter. I grew up in Fredericksburg, going to school in San Marcos now. I take 32 to blanco then 1888 all the time going home. it runs into another RR, 1376. that'll take you to luckenbach.

I could go on and on about hill country riding, haha. if you aren't overloaded as it is, old san antonio road is beautiful, willow city loop, RR 1631, hwy16... the list goes on.

like I said, I'm in San Marcos so if y'all need a place to crash or work on the bikes or whatever, you're more than welcome. I don't have any welders or anything crazy but I got all the basics plus a bit more.

Kcarvajal
01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Guiano, very awesome man. Thank you!

I'll be looking at the routes and recommendations and map it all out for sure.

Can't wait for this trip.

Thanks again!

Guano
01-08-2014, 9:04 PM
Absolutely. if you come my way, let me know. I'd be down to tag along for the day or something.

RoperDKC
01-09-2014, 6:13 AM
Hell yeah, you're welcome bud! Hope everything goes off without a hitch for ya, and I'm glad to see some others chiming in. Guano's got 'er down for ya!

Guano
01-11-2014, 5:28 PM
Roper, you in Austin or thereabouts?

RoperDKC
01-27-2014, 7:13 AM
Roper, you in Austin or thereabouts?

No man, I wish I was. I'm down in South Louisiana nowadays. I grew up in the panhandle up north of Amarillo and I've traveled all over Texas. Dated a girl from Mason for a while and made it to the hill country as often as I possibly could.

hellamopeds
01-28-2014, 12:55 PM
I just moved to New Orleans today.

Guano
01-29-2014, 9:41 PM
No man, I wish I was. I'm down in South Louisiana nowadays. I grew up in the panhandle up north of Amarillo and I've traveled all over Texas. Dated a girl from Mason for a while and made it to the hill country as often as I possibly could.

wow north of amarillo? Haha. How's the riding out in Louisiana? I almost rode out to NOLA last year for Mardi Gras, but nobody else had a bike so ended up going in a car. by the time we left all I wanted to do was sleep so I wasn't as bummed about not getting to ride. Might go out there this year again.

VincentVega
01-29-2014, 10:36 PM
What's happening in Austin?

RoperDKC
01-30-2014, 6:00 AM
wow north of amarillo? Haha. How's the riding out in Louisiana? I almost rode out to NOLA last year for Mardi Gras, but nobody else had a bike so ended up going in a car. by the time we left all I wanted to do was sleep so I wasn't as bummed about not getting to ride. Might go out there this year again.

Hah, yeah man. Right up around nowhere. I love and miss it up there. Riding down here is pretty damn rad. Summertime it's super humid and you're getting killed with bugs but that's my only complaint. Practically year round riding. I could ride 8 hours a day every day for ten years straight and never run out of backroads. Twisty, scenic roads surrounded by trees for days and all the water you'd ever need. No hills though.

Sorry for the thread jackin' going on here.

Guano
01-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Sorry for the thread jackin' going on here.

the thread jack is worth it! but yeah, sorry guys.

I was gonna go on a weekend trip out to east tx, but it's supposed to rain out there so I'm headed west-ish. got any tips on good rides/towns in east tx?I'll probably have to keep it in tx but west la info's good too.

you know- for the OP, haha. after all, he will be headed through the area come march.

Kcarvajal
02-03-2014, 9:23 PM
So this trip is happening. Got our places booked. We get into New Orleans the evening of 3/8 and staying in Algiers for a couple nights. Monday morning, we head west towards Texas. We'll be staying in Wimberley and hang out for a couple nights. Would be cool to meet up with some of you dudes in NOLA and in San Antonio, Austin or the nearby areas.

No worries on the thread jack at all!

Thanks again for the tips. I'll have a GoPro and will more than likely be taking pics along the way with my phone. I'll make sure to post them here.

Hope to meet up with you dudes for a brew or 10.

Ken

RoperDKC
02-04-2014, 6:41 AM
So this trip is happening. Got our places booked. We get into New Orleans the evening of 3/8 and staying in Algiers for a couple nights. Monday morning, we head west towards Texas. We'll be staying in Wimberley and hang out for a couple nights. Would be cool to meet up with some of you dudes in NOLA and in San Antonio, Austin or the nearby areas.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll have a GoPro and will more than likely be taking pics along the way with my phone. I'll make sure to post them here.

Ken

Fuckyeah man! Good luck and have a good time! I'll PM you my number if ya wanna holler on your way through or if you need anything on your trip. @vulgardisplayofroper on IG look me up on there if you're into that sorta thing.

Kcarvajal
02-04-2014, 8:01 AM
Fuckyeah man! Good luck and have a good time! I'll PM you my number if ya wanna holler on your way through or if you need anything on your trip. @vulgardisplayofroper on IG look me up on there if you're into that sorta thing.

Thanks so much man! Your number would be great. I'll get in touch with you when we get in and I promise not to drunk call ya at 3AM. Haha! I got you on IG too. I'm @kencarvajal.

Now just gotta iron out the route. I'd like to do what you suggested Roper, back roads from BR. I'll talk to the guys and see what they want to do. But we're going to take our time and break up the 500 miles to Texas into 2 days and stay in Beaumont, which is halfway. This way we get to take it all in and enjoy the days. So if you can, join us for a bit.

Thanks again fellas!

Ken

RoperDKC
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Well if ya do, I'll drunk answer. and that goes for any time of day. Stoked for ya man!

Kcarvajal
02-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Well if ya do, I'll drunk answer. and that goes for any time of day. Stoked for ya man!

Thanks man!

190 looks like a good/straight route towardsBeaumont. Google maps shows black tops, smooth roads and sunshine.

How is it? Any gotchas, like avoid certain areas around a set time, rush hour, etc?

Thanks!
Ken

RoperDKC
02-04-2014, 1:37 PM
You're absolutely welcome! Man I've got nothin' for that route at all! I think you'll be set anytime of the day. I've never gone far on that particular highway but all through there is pretty country. From what I've heard that's the "old highway to Texas", so I'm sure pre I-10 it was a pretty cool place like Route 66 used to be. Sounds like you've got it straight man! For some reason messages aren't working so I'll send you my number later or just hit me up on the gram. I'll be on days off when you're coming through and I may come ride to the state line with ya or something!
Like I said before, I'm down in Lafayette.

Guano
02-12-2014, 1:10 AM

Ken

hell yeah, when you're in Wimberley I'm super down for some riding/beer drinking/general fun. I'll pm you my contact info.

Kcarvajal
02-12-2014, 7:27 AM
hell yeah, when you're in Wimberley I'm super down for some riding/beer drinking/general fun. I'll pm you my contact info.

Awesome man! I pm'd you my number also. I'll hit you up for sure when we get in.

Thanks!!!

Ken

Kcarvajal
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Alright, bikes are loaded, bags packed and ready to go. We leave tonight, hotel somewhere 6 or 7 hrs out, then the rest of the drive tomorrow. Should be in NOLA by late afternoon.

To those of you who PM'd me your number, I'll hit you guys up once we get in the area or close to it.

Thanks everyone!

Ken

Kcarvajal
03-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Back home safely. 1300+ miles. Thanks again to everyone for the pointers, to RoperDKC for guidance and a special thanks to Bp131 for sorting me out while in NOLA. Guano, missed you in Wimberley. I had to run to San Antonio for a replacement lever, and got back fairly late.

Anyway, we have the pics of the trip at the Violation Tour site.

http://www.violationtour.com

We had a blast, and you folks from Texas have some of the smoothest roads!

Thanks again everyone!
Ken