PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GS 550 build

dna
01-03-2014, 6:23 PM
Well, I've been lurking here for a while. I thought to myself, "Self, you should post something useful here, 'cause there are so many cool builds going on." I don't know if I can measure up, but we'll see.

I'll say right up front, this build style might not appeal to everyone, but if there is some interest, I'll continue.

I started this build about a year ago, so I'll catch you up in the first couple posts.

So this is how the bike looked when I started. The 550 was leaking oil all over the place so it needed repairing or replacing. I chose the second option, more on that later.

So . . . a couple pics.

The bike before.

The donor bike. Suzuki RF900. This bike donated the engine, front suspension, swing arm and rear suspension, clocks, wiring harness and wheels and tires.

dna
01-03-2014, 7:05 PM
The first step was to strip the GS down to the bare frame.

I don't have any pictures of the frame work. But I'll explain it.

It was detabbed, the sub-frame was cut off. A new back-bone was fit to clear the taller engine and carb location.

The entire front end from the RF900 was fit to the gs frame. It fit without modification.

The swing arm was fit. The only thing that it needed was a the pivot bolt holes enlarged.

The rear suspension from the RF900 was fit to the gs frame.

I was going to reuse the sub-frame but it looked like a$$. So I build the sub-frame from 1 inch round tubing. Under the seat is the battery and electrics.

The tank from the RF900 was fitted.

I made the intake from aluminum.

dna
01-03-2014, 7:12 PM
So this is the bike all mocked up.

So that is the bike all caught up the present.

It is currently dissassembled to finish the welding on the frame.

The motor is coming apart for bearings and whatever else it needs.

If you guys want to see more, I can keep posting.

Jetblack
01-04-2014, 9:52 AM
Looks like Batmans glider from the cartoon.