HernandezChop
12-31-2013, 10:25 AM
My bike:
2006 HD Sportster 1200 xl Low

Front axel Size:
3/4
Rear axel Size:
1 inch

I purchased what I was told was a 2007 Nightster rear wheel on ebay. When it arrived the bearing and hub bore are sized for 25mm. In 2008 Harley changed from a 1 inch rear to a 25MM.

When i dry fit the Nightster wheel with the spacers everything seemed to align and fit nicely. So I am thinking I could just buy a 25MM axel and swap it. I was wondering if anyone had experience doing an axel swap from 1 inch to 25MM or could provide any insight.

Thanks

Nosebleed
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Yeah HD likes to do things like that. You would likely have to replace the axle spacers or just swap for a later model swingarm. Remember, the axle goes through the wheel hub but it has to bolt in to something compatible.

RYZA
12-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Why not just buy a bearing set ?

Saltytonk
12-31-2013, 10:42 AM
You can make your existing swingarm work. I would think just the spacers and axle swap would do the trick. youre only looking at 0.4 mm difference from 1" to 25mm.

HernandezChop
12-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks Nosebleed for the feedback.

My local HD dealership is closed so i can't get the specs on the 25MM axel vs the I inch. Everything aligned nicely with my original spacers. Either way I can get a spacer kit and modify to what I need.

I am hoping since 25MM is slightly smaller than 1 inch my stock swing arm will work.

25mm = 2.5 cm
1 inch = 2.54 cm

Do you think that additional play will make a difference?

HernandezChop
12-31-2013, 10:45 AM

The 1 inch bearings are wider than the 25MM so they extend out of the hub bore. Already went that rout :/

Saltytonk
12-31-2013, 10:45 AM

I haven't tried this exact swap before . But its been my experience that sometimes you can swap bearings and other times the hub wont except different bearings. Sometimes ya can , sometimes ya cant. But its worth a try to go to a bearing store and check it out.

HernandezChop
12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
I haven't tried this exact swap before . But its been my experience that sometimes you can swap bearings and other times the hub wont except different bearings. Sometimes ya can , sometimes ya cant. But its worth a try to go to a bearing store and check it out.

I was also thinking that. Go to a bearing manufacture and either buy something compatible or have bearings made to 25MM spec with a one inch hole.

Saltytonk
12-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks Nosebleed for the feedback.

My local HD dealership is closed so i can't get the specs on the 25MM axel vs the I inch. Everything aligned nicely with my original spacers. Either way I can get a spacer kit and modify to what I need.

I am hoping since 25MM is slightly smaller than 1 inch my stock swing arm will work.

25mm = 2.5 cm
1 inch = 2.54 cm

Do you think that additional play will make a difference?

That .04 cm play is pretty small. the main thing to be concerned with is that your axle is level from oneside of the swingarm to the other. if its a problem you can make some kind of shim to take up the slop.

I just had a buddy make some rear axle spacers for my shovelhead. The slot in the axle plate (rigid frame) is 7/8" and I am running a 3/4" axle. He turned one spacer on each side to have a "lip" that acts as a shim. If that makes sense. But I was working with a 1/8" slop. that's quite a bit bigger than what youre dealing with.

HernandezChop
12-31-2013, 10:58 AM
That .04 cm play is pretty small. the main thing to be concerned with is that your axle is level from oneside of the swingarm to the other. if its a problem you can make some kind of shim to take up the slop.

I just had a buddy make some rear axle spacers for my shovelhead. The slot in the axle plate (rigid frame) is 7/8" and I am running a 3/4" axle. He turned one spacer on each side to have a "lip" that acts as a shim. If that makes sense. But I was working with a 1/8" slop. that's quite a bit bigger than what youre dealing with.

Thanks for the insight :D appreciate it

Nosebleed
12-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Even just a little bit of play will likely be noticeable though. If the play causes your axle to move back and forth it could strain your belt I would think. Sometimes changing wheel bearings works, sometimes not. Can depend on the id of the hub as well. I have to ask how committed you are to using this particular rear wheel. If you have to have custom shims or other parts fabricated it may be more cost effective to go with a different wheel or just swap the entire swingarm. Wheels usually cost $100 or so in the CC classifieds and swingarms run ya $35 or so, complete.

I'm all for doing it yourself and all, but why reinvent...the wheel? Haha, that's punny!

HernandezChop
12-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Even just a little bit of play will likely be noticeable though. If the play causes your axle to move back and forth it could strain your belt I would think. Sometimes changing wheel bearings works, sometimes not. Can depend on the id of the hub as well. I have to ask how committed you are to using this particular rear wheel. If you have to have custom shims or other parts fabricated it may be more cost effective to go with a different wheel or just swap the entire swingarm. Wheels usually cost $100 or so in the CC classifieds and swingarms run ya $35 or so, complete.

I'm all for doing it yourself and all, but why reinvent...the wheel? Haha, that's punny!

I am thinking I can avoid the additional play at the swing arm if I swap the 1 inch chain tensors to 25mm that way everything will align up just right with either stock or modified spacers.

Nosebleed
12-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Seems likely to work. Post up the results if you try it.

Edit: Oh yeah, I wouldn't go to the dealership to find axle tensioners/adjuster thingys. That's gonna cost you $100, I'd bet. There are plenty of people who do hardtail conversions out there so I'd throw up a classified ad asking if anyone has them for sale from an 08-later Sporty on the cheap. If that doesn't work, find that guy "Sporty Parts" here on CC. He has a business specializing in all things Sportster and can probably line up a set for you.

Cheers.

bigdaddy
01-01-2014, 8:35 PM
I thought 05 was the bastard child year for rear axles, and the only one with a 1" rear axle. I put an 03 road king laced wheel on my 05 sporty. Just flipped it around to accommodate the right side drive. They're usually cheaper to find. Got mine shipped with a usable tire for around $125. Changing bearings sounded like a pain in the ass to me. The guys at three different dealerships said it wouldn't fit, and they tried to sell me a new wheel for a lot more. Funny thing is, this wheel hub was the same part number as the hub on the new sporty wheel! Most of the parts guys have no idea what they're doing. You need to check with a service guy that has been doing it for a few years.

HernandezChop
01-08-2014, 9:43 AM
UPDATE:

A buddy of mine referred me to a site that sells bearings:
http://www.allballsracing.com/

I called them and gave them the stock part number and told them i needed the same bearing with a 1" ID. They didn't have the part in stock but gave me the part number and with a few eGAY searches I found the right bearing at a good price of $6.00 a piece.

If you are looking to swap and everything aligns with your swing arm give All Balls a shot they were very helpful.

luckster08
01-21-2015, 9:41 PM
Hey I know this thread hasn't been hit in a while but I am going to have to do the exact same swap on my wife's 883. If you don't care do you have that part number handy and care to share?