PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Exhaust

udybac
03-30-2010, 3:40 PM
Stainless Steel Exhaust

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm building an exhaust system for my brothers 750 Honda we built several years ago. He got a $200 fine for no mufflers (stinkin pigs) so I'm making some cool exhaust with a Supertrapp muffler.
I got 3 11/2" 304 stainless u bends with a 4" raidius for the exhaust coming right out of the heads. I then stepped it up to 1 3/4" to run back to the Supertrapp. I had 3 pieces of 1 3/4" u bends with a 10" radius. I cut and pieced them together to make shape I wanted and clear my leg on the mid controls.
I welded them with 308 stainless steel tig rod. I also had to purge the inside on tubing with argon to insure a good weld and prevent sugaring.

udybac
03-30-2010, 3:44 PM
To purge the tubing while welding I added a ball valve to my regulator on my argon bottle. I then ran a line with fuel line and used foam strips to wrap around the line and plug any open ends. This allows the oxygen to escape and keeps the argon inside.

udybac
03-30-2010, 3:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then cut each exhaust piece to fit the collector before welding then marked the collector with a sharpie and cut out openings for the other 3 cylinders

udybac
03-30-2010, 3:49 PM
While welding the pieces coming out of the heads to the collector make sure they are bolted to the head where you want them to stay. This will act as a jig and hold them in place so they will line up with the exhaust port. Next I cut and fit the rest of the pieces together to go around my leg on the mid controls. This set up sounds wicked, not as loud as the straight pipes but still loud. I'm anxious to see how it performs.http://www.badasschoppershop.biz

workingman
03-30-2010, 7:09 PM
very cool. It looks like a set of car headers

Rile
04-01-2010, 2:11 PM
That's awesome. Collector reminds me of old turbo bikes. Nice job.

philbey
04-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Nicely done.

I've always wondered whether people prefer to go stainless pipe and polish or chrome a set of mild steel pipes? Is there any reason you chose stainless?

shop102
04-01-2010, 11:13 PM
those are slicker than goose shit. Great Work

udybac
04-02-2010, 9:42 AM
Nicely done.

I've always wondered whether people prefer to go stainless pipe and polish or chrome a set of mild steel pipes? Is there any reason you chose stainless?

I chose stainless just because of how cool it looks when brushed, besides when your shoe or something gets melted on your pipes you just scothcbrite it clean. I don't know if there is any advantage that stainless might dispurse heat beater over a chrome pipe but I think it just looks cool.

philbey
04-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeh I was just thinking fab wise which is easier, mild or stainless? You are keeping the welds as they are, not buffing them out?

Stainless will retain more heat than mild steel.

udybac
04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Forsure the mild steel is easier to fab because you don't have to purge the inside of the pipe when welding. Yes I'm going to keep the welds exposed.