PDA

View Full Version : XS650 love & hate

xscorex
03-30-2010, 6:30 AM
looks like in the last year or two the xs650 love has gone through the roof, About 6 years ago I started getting into metric chops, at the time you could pick up running nice xs650 bikes for under a grand all day every day. I mean they were still popular for chops and have been since they came out, but nothing like today. Today Im seeing xs go for as much as a triumph. The reason you built an xs is because you couldnt afford a triumph. Anyway, Ive owned 3 xs650s and every time, I end up selling it because Im never happy. #1 reason is because they are SLOOOOOW. I even regeared one to get it to smooth out on highway runs. Im a big guy and just could never get it to run at highway without shaking everything. I blew tail lights constantly, headlights fell off, I mean everything. But for some reason I always want to get another one. Thats the main reason I went with a cb750 on my last chop, they are powerful and smooth. but ugly as shit. Now I want a light skinny xs to split lanes on. I guess I'll never win. hahah. so what do you love and what do you hate about your xs?

my first xs: this taught me everything the hard way I started out having no idea what I was doing
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/xscorex/bikes/sideview.jpg

I bought this one, everything rattled to pieces, then I sold it. i want it back
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/xscorex/bikes/cc42_31.jpg

NHMike
03-30-2010, 6:44 AM
Damn, see, I think the CB750 is one of the meanest looking motors out there.

xscorex
03-30-2010, 6:50 AM
i dont like it, its so big and bulky, kinda in the way a boss hoss is ugly.

DirtFloorJim
03-30-2010, 7:15 AM
If you want a fast and powerful lane splitter you could build a skinny Sporty. That is unless your just into metrics. I dig the XS650 and I'm looking for a fair priced one locally to build for my wife. They've doubled in price in my area lately.

shop102
03-30-2010, 7:26 AM
i dont like it, its so big and bulky, kinda in the way a boss hoss is ugly.

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. You just compared one of the GREATEST two wheeled machines with that of a two wheeled POS. Whats going on here.

And on another note. I'm 6'3 230 and ride a 78 XS and LOVE IT. Its fast and sleek. Yea it vibrates but its in a rigid frame. I mean come on

xscorex
03-30-2010, 7:32 AM
WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. You just compared one of the GREATEST two wheeled machines with that of a two wheeled POS. Whats going on here.

And on another note. I'm 6'3 230 and ride a 78 XS and LOVE IT. Its fast and sleek. Yea it vibrates but its in a rigid frame. I mean come on

hahah I like my cb, im running a dohc, my carbs arent dialed in though. I hate the boss hoss though, I just dont really like the big square motor. I think the xs is beautiful though, Even classier than the triumph. theres just something sexy about the mystique of a triumph, something about it being cool & european I guess

shop102
03-30-2010, 7:45 AM
i here ya on the trump. there is something about them.

Punkskalar
03-30-2010, 9:18 AM
I can see where you are coming from. The last XS I ran with couldn't get out of its own way. Ok, thats a lie, but it needed MORE.... 90-95 MPH seemed tops on his bike, and that was with a port job and new style mikuni's...

Obviously mine isn't stock, and I plan on running some speed trials this summer with it, but at 90 MPH I could just roll on the throttle and leave his bike.

Proof that you need to send me a motor to work over, and you'll be in love with XS's all over again :)

xscorex
03-30-2010, 9:28 AM
I can see where you are coming from. The last XS I ran with couldn't get out of its own way. Ok, thats a lie, but it needed MORE.... 90-95 MPH seemed tops on his bike, and that was with a port job and new style mikuni's...

Obviously mine isn't stock, and I plan on running some speed trials this summer with it, but at 90 MPH I could just roll on the throttle and leave his bike.

Proof that you need to send me a motor to work over, and you'll be in love with XS's all over again :)

i read your rephased thread, plus you are close, Im in gastonia nc starting next month, Mikes sells a 750 kit as well, rephased with a 750 kit and some Mikunis = heaven. what would you charge me to rephase one? If i did get ahold of one

Punkskalar
03-30-2010, 9:39 AM
i read your rephased thread, plus you are close, Im in gastonia nc starting next month, Mikes sells a 750 kit as well, rephased with a 750 kit and some Mikunis = heaven. what would you charge me to rephase one? If i did get ahold of one

I've heard to stay away from Mikes 750 kit... A few folks have found that his cylinders are softer than stock... Check out 650Central.com for a good kit. But, I haven't experienced it firsthand, but some of his other parts suck, so Im leary....

Re-phase just depends on what parts need replaced when I get in there... So many variables that can't be accounted for like chain guides, cam chain, bearings, seals, etc... Email me if you are serious about an engine build, I do them on an exhange basis if your core is buildable...

HughsHandBuilt@gmail.com

xscorex
03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I've heard to stay away from Mikes 750 kit... A few folks have found that his cylinders are softer than stock... Check out 650Central.com for a good kit. But, I haven't experienced it firsthand, but some of his other parts suck, so Im leary....

Re-phase just depends on what parts need replaced when I get in there... So many variables that can't be accounted for like chain guides, cam chain, bearings, seals, etc... Email me if you are serious about an engine build, I do them on an exhange basis if your core is buildable...

HughsHandBuilt@gmail.com

cool, I dont have one now, but If i run across a good deal, ill try to hit you up and see. i havent read up on mikes kits, I just saw it and it was pretty reasonably priced

HWC
03-30-2010, 6:20 PM
Kyle,,i hav 3 for sale at the moment...

calicruiser
03-30-2010, 9:49 PM
I love my xs and am not tryin to do 90+mph any time on it. I like it just the way it is!

Trex
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I love my XS to death..always wanted a Triumph tho, so thats why I remade it to look like a triumph chop for much cheaper. I am planning on the big bore kit and bigger mikunis or dellortos next year. My buddy rides a CB750DOHC hardtail so we'll see this summer just how they compare. I'm 6'2 and 240 and 90mph is probably plenty for me,(I'm a cruiser) But its nice to know that the potential is there when you want it.

TemeculaTerry
03-31-2010, 6:58 AM
I liked my XS, under 60mph, but for those of you that know me that doesnt really happen much, so I ended up not liking the bike at all.
In review of the performance, once on the freeway it was absolutely dangerous and for shit falling oof, its just a light bike and its going to vibrate allot, got to glue, tighten and weld that shit on good and s=check it before and or after every run and you will be fine.

I built one and will never build another...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/LieFeng/IMG_0293.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/LieFeng/XS.jpg

wargasm
03-31-2010, 8:41 AM
I liked my XS, under 60mph, but for those of you that know me that doesnt really happen much, so I ended up not liking the bike at all.
In review of the performance, once on the freeway it was absolutely dangerous and for shit falling oof, its just a light bike and its going to vibrate allot, got to glue, tighten and weld that shit on good and s=check it before and or after every run and you will be fine.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

jamesgs4
04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Man my bike sucked above 60mph at first, then i regeared it with an 18/32 and i cruise 80 all day now. It really helped cut the vibes too.

PoorBastard
04-02-2010, 8:41 AM
Like some one else said, I got my XS b/c I couldn't afford a Triumph. But now, I love that thing. It always pulls strong for me (skinny guy), and has never let me down, even when I stupidly ran it down to about a half quart of oil.