PDA

View Full Version : Sportster Street Tracker

MarylandLowLife
12-04-2013, 8:11 PM
I am thinking about doing a street tracker build this winter. I was looking into ordering the fiberglass tank and seat from phil little and doing a few other things. When checking out his page he claims the kit only fits sportsters 1986-2002. I thought this was weird because as far as I know there is no difference between an 02 and 03 sportster ( I have an '03). When I asked him he had this to say.

"Harley diddled us. The 2003 was a "rubber" frame and they changed the entire seat rail area which I use to mount the tail fender. I'm just dead with your frame. Sorry
Phil"

I know he has been in the business a long time and I didn't want to fire an email back right away telling him he was wrong but I've never heard of a rubber mount 03 sportster before. Does anyone here have any reason to think that his tank and seat would not fit on a 2003?

Saltytonk
12-04-2013, 9:12 PM
He is mistaken 04 is first year of rubber mount frame. It will fit your 03

junkyardxl
12-04-2013, 9:53 PM
Tanks will work bc i ran an anniversary tank.

BrokenSprocketGarage
12-05-2013, 7:11 AM
As far as I know, and I checked OEM part numbers, the frames are the same '02 and '03.
2004 was first year of the rubber mounted "XB" style Sportster.
It wouldn't be unusual for the MoCo to make a subtle change to the frame and not change a part number.
However, this guy manufactures and sells these kits as his lively hood. I wouldn't question his knowledge on this matter. He may not have meant rubber mounted frames, he might have meant to say that he discovered a small difference that will not allow his kit to fit an '03 frame.
Just sayin

MarylandLowLife
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM
As far as I know, and I checked OEM part numbers, the frames are the same '02 and '03.
2004 was first year of the rubber mounted "XB" style Sportster.
It wouldn't be unusual for the MoCo to make a subtle change to the frame and not change a part number.
However, this guy manufactures and sells these kits as his lively hood. I wouldn't question his knowledge on this matter. He may not have meant rubber mounted frames, he might have meant to say that he discovered a small difference that will not allow his kit to fit an '03 frame.
Just sayin

That's what I was thinking and why I asked him what it is that makes it not work. Even more confusing if you look at his site he says it doesn't fit "some 2003's"... I def would love to have a tracker but don't have the skills or tools to build my own tank or seat. Too badI would have to sell my kidney to buy the storz kit and I think their tank is ugly anyway.

Nosebleed
12-05-2013, 1:16 PM
Agree with everyone above. 04 was first year for rubbermount and they changed several things that year. Seat mount is different, swingarm and other things, wheels etc.

As stated above though, HD often changes small things between model years like in 96 they changed tank mounting system/hardware slightly, but nothing else. In 91 they went to the 5-speed but not all 91's have it, some have a 4 speed. Who can understand their logic?

I would tend to take the guy's word for it if he has tried it before on an 03 frame and it didn't work. You might ask about it though and see if he can explain specifically what it is that didn't work. He may be mistaken.

MarylandLowLife
12-05-2013, 1:29 PM
I'm gonna see what is return policy is and just mock one up. Even if there is a minor change I can probably make something work. I just read his email again and when he says 2003 has an entirely different seat rail is the part that has me thinking some bonehead customer with an 04 bike thinking they had an 03 tried the kit and sent it back.

Saltytonk
12-05-2013, 1:45 PM
I'm gonna see what is return policy is and just mock one up. Even if there is a minor change I can probably make something work. I just read his email again and when he says 2003 has an entirely different seat rail is the part that has me thinking some bonehead customer with an 04 bike thinking they had an 03 tried the kit and sent it back.

I know for a fact that a Biltwell banana seat will work on a 99 and a 03. If that seat would work , I cant imagine why the Little seat wont

MarylandLowLife
12-05-2013, 5:33 PM
While on the subject of this build does anyone have experience running a 19" on the back? I know the tire options will be very limited and my main concern is cornering with a narrow 19" dual sport tire.

guiltyview
12-05-2013, 6:13 PM
why don't you just ask? maybe he will learn something he didn't know

BrokenSprocketGarage
12-05-2013, 9:30 PM
While on the subject of this build does anyone have experience running a 19" on the back? I know the tire options will be very limited and my main concern is cornering with a narrow 19" dual sport tire.

A dual sport tire will not corner well no matter what size.
Older HD Ironheads had 19" front and 18" rear. Shouldered rain catcher aluminum rims would look tracker esque. I would look into that combo with Firestone Champion tires or some other vintage repop tire.

brooklynbomber
12-06-2013, 9:10 AM
A dual sport tire will not corner well no matter what size.
Older HD Ironheads had 19" front and 18" rear. Shouldered rain catcher aluminum rims would look tracker esque. I would look into that combo with Firestone Champion tires or some other vintage repop tire.

+ this. The high shoulder ironhead rims are my favorite and would look great.

MarylandLowLife
12-06-2013, 4:58 PM
Good call on the shouldered ironhead wheels my buddy has a set and they are rad. I didn't realize IH axles were the same size so I just need the right rotor and sprocket and I'll be good to go.

BrokenSprocketGarage
12-06-2013, 7:13 PM
Axle diameter is prolly the same. What you will need to do is make up some axle spacers to get the wheels centered. You will need to make a front brake caliper adapter and the correct diameter brake disc. Rear wheel might have a sprocket drum, which what makes it look clean to me. You will need a chain sprocket on your output shaft. And you need to count the number of teeth on the new wheel's sprocket to make sure ya git a good ratio going for your anticipated use of this bike (racing, highway, short trippin, etc.)
All standard protocol for a wheel swap. IMO it will look bitchin'