PDA

View Full Version : 1200 rebuild options

Ogcoda
11-17-2013, 9:52 PM
So my bike was converted from an 883 to a 1200 before I bought it and im starting to get some blue/white smoke and fouling my front cylinder spark plug. Took it to a local dude and he says it could be the valve seals. But if I have to take it apart to do valve seals I figure I might as well do rings. The bike still has tons of power and runs fine. But like I said I'd like to have the peace of mind, And do it all at once. So what I'm wondering is, do I need to jump up a piston size, or could I get away with just doing rings?

junkyardxl
11-17-2013, 10:58 PM
quick hone and rings. as long as you still have good compression you should be fine.

BrokenSprocketGarage
11-18-2013, 7:02 AM
If the cylinder heads are removed the clamp load is broken on the cylinder base gasket and therefore the gasket should be replaced. A good shop should have explained this to you. So since the cylinders are coming off, the condition of the cylinders, pistons and rings should be measured and evaluated.
Make sure that the cylinder base and rocker base gaskets are replaced with metal type gaskets, not paper.
Might as well add some performance cams and chop the cam cover if it wasn't already done.

farmall
11-18-2013, 8:51 AM
So since the cylinders are coming off, the condition of the cylinders, pistons and rings should be measured and evaluated.

Key words of wisdom. If you have it bored ensure it's done using correct torque plates and not just slapped on a boring machine. If it's to be bored in-house you could casually ask to see the torque places because you are curious. If they were too cheap to buy them they can't show them to you. :)

Read the factory manual for everything to be done to the machine including what you aren't doing yourself. This can help prevent pesky anal rape.

Ogcoda
12-01-2013, 8:42 PM
Thanks guys. The dude I talked to is a well known trusted Harley tech in the slc area. Not worried about his work or my anus. Any cam recommendations? Also not really sure what chopping the cam cover is all about?

planksta
12-01-2013, 9:53 PM
Also not really sure what chopping the cam cover is all about?

Its just a thing people do to personalize a bike, it kinda makes it look like an older cam cover like on a shovel or something but no real pros or cons unless your trying to lighten your bike. I personally dont like it.

Cheers
-Zach