PDA

View Full Version : What should i expect to pay to have a piston changed on a gt185

Imjustanumber11
03-26-2010, 9:19 PM
Hey guys i recently acquired a 1974 gt185 that needs a new piston and i have 2 questions about this issue.
1. How difficult is it to change the piston on this bike because i found the part on fleebay for 60 bucks and i like that price
2. if it sounds too difficult what should i expect to pay to have someone else do it.
I have some experience with working on my cb750 and trail 90 but nothing like changing a piston or pulling the motor.
Thanks

Vinny
03-28-2010, 9:20 PM
is that 60$ for piston and rings? if you dont get the rings I would find out how much that is going to be too. Also if I were you i would tear into the motor. You may find that you need to do a slight rebore to the cylinder if the jugs are too worn. if this is the case you will need to contract someone to hone it for you. I suggest doing it. it is always a good experience find out what a complete used motor would cost you before you go too deep tho. Just so you know if you can replace it.

lobstermobster
03-28-2010, 11:01 PM
shouldnt be too. but buddy got a 75 and his piston blew out with in the first week. he replaced it pretty easily. Hopefully thats all you need to do. ha, sorry no actually tech advice. but at least you know it shouldnt be too hard if its just the piston