PDA

View Full Version : Yuma AZ

Wood
11-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Haven't posted much on here but check in at least once a day, could use y'all s help. Considering a job in Yuma. Currently I live in Dallas. Im wondering what its really like there. What I've read so far doesn't paint a real nice picture but this is a pretty good gig and would allow me to retire in 5 years or so. Kids are grown so its just me and th OL.
Any local input is appreciated

markwade74
11-09-2013, 12:28 PM
sunniest place in the U.S.

Longjon
11-09-2013, 4:23 PM
it's close to Rocky Point, Mexico...beach, seafood, Michelada's (look it up), and fishing...otherwise it's the armpit that the internet tells you about. And HOTTT!

Jackfrost
11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Some of my buddies were stationed there during the gulf war, as far as they were concerned it was almost better than being shot at.

Grantman
11-11-2013, 3:03 AM
My brother was stationed at MCAS Yuma. When I visited him there from 29 Palms I realized that I could have gotten a worse duty station. But places are what you make of them. If it's only 5 years and you'll get a decent retirement I'd do it. I've got 13 1/2 more years in Bakersfield, CA unless I can get a transfer out of here, but the retirement is sweet so I'll put up with it. Yuma really wasn't that bad back then.

I never understood the complaints about heat. Most people work in an air conditioned building, drive a car with air conditioning (or ride a bike and hot is better than cold!), live in an air conditioned house and shop in airconditioned stores. When you're hot you relax with a cool drink and you cool down pretty quick, when you're cold to the bone it takes a long time to warm back up.

scuzzy
11-11-2013, 6:00 PM
Man if you can hack Dallas youll do just fine in Yuma Dry heat is always better than humid heat. And as you man said it only 5 years man. thats easy time after that go to where ever it is you are retiring.

Like gruntman said it might be hotter than all hell out side but how much time do you really spend outside? and for the record I Live in el paso and it hits 100+ every year. Just do shit real early in the morning or late in the evening. and dont put your arm on anything metal outside and your good to go.

id rather live in a hot weather than cold weather everyday. riding in hot weather isnt bad at all as long as your moving its pretty nice. your not to hot, and even if your not moving its not for very long till your rolling again and your cooling down. when your in cold weather it sicks sitting in the cold. then it sucks even more cause you get colder as you move.

all just my opinion man. iv never personally been to yuma but i cant imagine it being much different. and besides 5 years isnt that long

Wood
11-15-2013, 6:03 PM
Ok, I get it... its hot! Really wondering more about quality of life shit out there. This deal is heating up (no pun) they want an answer by end of month. Guess I'm fixin to take a ride and see whats up. Any locals?

Grantman
11-17-2013, 12:14 AM
I was there visiting my brother in around 1980 so my experience back then would be different that what you'd see today. Back then there was a lot of really good weed, but AZ really sucked on their law on it (felony for a plant? WTF?). Everyone I met was pretty cool though and I thought it was a decent enough place.

kingmfj
11-18-2013, 12:38 AM
i live out here year round riding fishing hunting lots of off road nice little town

jermicon
11-18-2013, 2:33 AM
I live in north az, moved from nh. Been here for 6 months now. All I can say is generally az wants to put you in jail for basically anything you do. And the people here are the dumbest people I have ever met. Yuma may be different, but I doubt it.

Sent from my backoffbeforeIjackoff