PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Sportster 883 exhaust crossover pipe question

ScienceKit
10-30-2013, 9:18 PM
The scenario... bought my first HD Sportster 883 (hell, first HD) a month ago, and began chopping, sawing, modding, etc...

I am installing a Joker Machine breather to give more leg room, get more air in, and show off more of the engine. Then I realized the exhaust crossover pipe also covers up quite a bit of engine horizontally, so I figure will just build my own pipes. Here's the rub.... just about every bit of information I find on the factory pipes is that crossover pipe makes the engine more powerful/stronger. Any truth to that? Do I really need a crossover pipe on the 2001 Sportster to get the most out of the engine?

I want to clean up the look by removing the need for the crossover pipe. Any advice/suggestions?

junkyardxl
10-30-2013, 9:28 PM
It's not that big of a loss. Cut it out and weld it up

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rooster52478
10-30-2013, 9:43 PM
I prefer my stock head pipes with slip ons over the drag pipes I had. Went from stock to drag pipes for all of 2 weeks and switched right back because of less seat of the pants power.

Sky
10-31-2013, 4:50 AM
Not a big deal to cut out that crossover. You will lose some scavenging pulses at a very specific rpm.
A stepped two into one with a nice merge will give you "the most" . Make or acquire one. A poor flowing exhaust may feel ok down low but will loose in the top end.
Of course, pipe sizes and length between the steps and/or length till the merge are all important. Specifics of your motor build/mods should be part of your calculations.
Great article here:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm[/url ]
And another:
[url]http://shovelhead.us/pics/sheets/More%20then%20you%20want%20to%20know%20about%20pip es.pdf

gieser86
11-02-2013, 12:25 PM
did it on a friends bike, he didnt notice any power loss. and it looks way better

yozer13
11-03-2013, 1:20 PM
did it on my 99 as the pipe looks shit.
my pipes were made shit the crossover stuck into the headers just over 1/2" so all thats going to is restrict flow.
the bike seems to be a bit smoother on the throttle off idle picking up a bit quicker. could just be wishful thinking tho but i prefer it.

yozer13
11-03-2013, 1:22 PM
also i was sick to death of burning my hand while tweaking the carb that was one reason for it to go

evilive
11-05-2013, 6:33 PM
I want to get rid of that ugly thing on my 2000...did you guys have to re-jet your carb after cutting of tthe crossover?

yozer13
11-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I had done mine before hand as they come lean from factory

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2